Seaford in old picture postcards

Seaford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Patricia Berry
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2949-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Seaford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. On the right, Corsica Hall mentioned on page 27 when acquired by Mr. Pinder, has since undergone many changes. In 1823 it was purchased by the FitzGerald family, who too had political ambitions but also became the town's benefactors. Later, it briefly accommodated the Seaside Convalescent Home, and after the great flood of 1875 became arefuge for the homeless. lt has been known at different tirnes as 'Millberg', 'Corsica Hall' and 'The Lodge'.

60. Corsica Hall became the centre of great activity during the late nineteenth century when the military descended on the town for summer exercises. Band concerts, gun-firing competitions, firework displays and sports were among the entertainments for the locals 'over the Costicle'. It became a school for young gentlemen about to enter the army or navy, and thence, Colonel Savage acquired it and established 'Seaford College'. It has retained its educational links, becoming in turn a Home Economics College (19S0-óS-80), and an Adult Education Centre.

61. Kings Mead was another boys' school, part of the considerable growth in Seaford of educational establishments from the turn of the century. The school buildings still exist today as St. Mary's House, but housing developments cover the former playing fields.

62. This is one of a series ofphotographs entitled 'The Call to Arms', with scenes of the young men of Seaford parading on their way to join the army at the start of the First World War. In the background here can be seen the curved boundary wall of the railway station.

63. One of John Purcell FitzGerald's benevolent acts (page 59) was to set up the town's alrnshouses in these purpose-built premises in Croft Lane. One of his rules was very unusual for the times (1858): that old married couples be allowed to remain together. The Poor House arrangement was that couples be separated and sent to the men's or women's wing, and they might never meet again. Modernisation of the buildings, now called FitzGeraid House, has recently been completed by the Trustees of the FitzGeraid Charity.

Broad Street, Sreîord.

199

64. Croft Lane (with Almshouses) is the turning on the right off Braad Street in this picture, with Hurdis House on the lower corner and Cameron's chemist's shop on the other. The lantern and drinking bowl are still there today. Every building on the left in this postcard of 1906 has now been replaced; the last of the trees were removed some twenty years ago.

65. A heavy snowfall in 1913 brought out this team of men to clear Vicarage Walk (Sutton Road) at the junction with Braad Street. In 1892 the Pigeon Farm lands had been sold for housing development, and Sutton Park Road built as a direct route connecting Clinton Place and the Comfield end of Sutton Road. Until then, the stretch of raad in this picture was the only sign-posted way to Eastbourne, The shops on the right are today occupied by Seaford Bakery and Sussex Stationers.

66. Opposîte Vicarage Walk, on the corner of Broad Street and Place Lane, stood till 1936 this [me flint-faeed building Place House. It bore the date 1603 and the initials WMG, implying it was built for the influential Gratwicke family. It later did duty as almshouses and as a national school. In 1862, services were held there while major alterations were going on in the Parish Church. Mr. Bull brought his school from West House after the great flood of 1875, and Dr. Wm. Livingstone moved there in about 1911 from his former residence 'Vork House' in High Street (see picture 69). Sainsbury's store occupies the site today. Notice the milk-cart in the foreground.

67. On the other corner of Broad Street and Place Lane stood Gable End, the house with railings and trellis on the right of this picture. Now there are modern shops on the site. At this time, the post office was a small establishment in Upper High Street, but new premises were to be built on land here occupied by the small cottage behind the Royal Mail cart.

68. The post office was in Broad Street for more than sixty years (part of Gable End still standing in this picture). A new site was then found for the post office in Church Street, on the corner below the Primary School. Old buildings, including a pet shop, were demolished but, before the con tractors moved in, archaeologists researched the site during the summer of 1976. A mediaeval pottery jug is now on display in the new post office, as a reminder of that 'dig'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek