Seaford in old picture postcards

Seaford in old picture postcards

:   Patricia Berry
:   Sussex, East
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-2949-7
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Seaford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. This was the view up the High Street from the crossroads with Broad Street and Saxon Lane (forrnerly called Dark Lane), in 1905. The Old Tree Hotel, then perhaps three hundred years old, had been the setting for rnany political meetings, auctions of shipwrecked goods, and recruiting drives at times of threatened French invasion. The hotel was demolished in 1965 to make way for a parade of shops. 'Y ork House' on the right-hand corner today has shop premises built over the front garden.

70. This is the High Street some eighty years ago, photographed from the Albert Hall in East Street. The nearest buildings on both sides of the road were lost in air raids, and blocks of flats now take their plaee. The nearer horse and cart stand outside the Rising Sun public house, now called the 'Cinque Ports'. During the First World War when the town was fuil of soldiers, business at the pub was sometimes so brisk that they ran out of glasses and served beer in jam jars, to the men sitting down on the pavement outside.

71. The soldiers (1914-1918) were encamped in two main areas, North Camp in what is now the Belgrave Road district - where there is 'North Camp Lane' today - and South Camp shown here, on land north of Chyngton Road, facing the golf links. The large building with balcony wing on the left of the photograph is now the Seaford Head Hotel.

72. There is !itt1e to add to the description already written on this card, except perhaps to say that a war memorial was later put up on the corner of Dane Road and Green Lane, for the Seaford men who fell in the Boer War and the First World War. In 1952, names from the Second Wor1d War were added, and the memorial moved to its present position in Sutton Park Road. Two Victoria Cross holders are among the local men thus remembered.

73. Walking along the path over Seaford Head has always been a popular pastime with residents and visitors alike; today, the area has been designated a nature reserve, and the eoastline as far as Eastbourne is part of the Heritage Co ast. Hope Gap ean be reaehed by turning seawards off the main path to Cuekmere Haven; many a smuggler and eustoms man must have known the way wel! from the bad old days when the Haven was a notorious Ianding-plaee for contraband.

74. Photographers put out posteards depicting not on1y 10ea1 views, but also 10ea1 events. Thus we learn of the 'extraordinary fall of hailstones' whieh oeeurred over Seaford on 31st Mareh 1897. The stones were said to be the size of small oranges, and nine of them together weighed over three-quarters of a pound (.3402 kg). More than three thousand panes of glass were broken during the seven-minute fall.

75. Long ago, oxen were used for ploughing and other farm work: they could cope well with hillside fields and heavy soil, and could always be slaughtered for food when their working days were done! Here we see probably the last local team, still in use in the early 1920's at Exceat, with the meandering Cuckmere in the background on the left and, far right, the same barn which now houses the interpretive centre for the Seven Sisters Country Park.







76. Lastly, I give you a charming picture which perhaps sums up the appeal of Seaford as a modest holiday resort, in the period of this book - and the importance and excitement to our visitors of 'a day at the seaside'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek