Shortlands in old picture postcards

Shortlands in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Muriel V. Searle
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Greater London
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5325-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Shortlands in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Miss Link on the links; postcard version of a larger portrait of Muriel Rose Link of Beckenharn Ladies' Golf Club (where men could play only as associate members) out of which developed the present Shortlands Golf Club, whose course stretches just behind the houses of Ravensbourne Avenue al most to Ravensboume Station. The club's centenary falls in 1994, being founded in 1894; men were admitted from 1919. As women became more independent, they began starting their own sports clubs, in the face of much male opposition to the notion of mixed play. They caused a great stir when skirts were daringly shortened to expose ankles. essential for tramping around golf courses or running on tennis courts. Part of the present Shortlands course includes the former Alders Wood. Alders, a charaeteristic Ravensbourne Valley tree, were eultivated as a erop for making clog soles. Golf club history shows that two men were once eaught on the site for poaehing pheasants' eggs.

A:l:U') Brom' y Road hor lau

10. It is not generally known th at the Greenwich Meridian (Longitude 0) runs across Shortlands. somewhere in the area pictured. Though the centenary of worldwide adoption of Greenwich Meridian as the standard of navigation and of timekeeping was celebrated in 1984, little was made of the fact that Bromley and Shortlands stand right upon it. Here a high-wheeled governess cart is the only traffic bowling down towards Shortlands Station.

11. Just out of the picture as the road begins to curve, would have been Shortlands House, which is now a school. Between the two world wars it was used as a good class hotel. Shortlands had a number of other smaller hotels, catering mainly for commercial traveIlers. Shortlands House itself was classed a 'residential hotel', charging the then top rate of three guineas (B.1S) a week; roughly the weekly income of a clerk or salesman. Another measure of the c1ientele it courted is the tone of its advertising: 'Four of five golf courses ... can be reached in a few minutes by car.' It also boasted the latest room refinements. Today hotels advertise colour TV in bedrooms; yesterday the lure was; 'All water comes through an up-to-date water softener. Fitted basins in all rooms.'

12. 'Many of the springs about here are impregnated with iron to a considerable extent,' observed a gazzetteer of 1858, referring mainly to the famous and still extant St. Blaise WeIl in the grounds of Bromley Palace. But there where many lesser ones, and even today new springs frequently open where the foot of Martins Hili me ets the Hop Field. In the 1850s another well-known local spring was to be seen beside the main road up to Beckenharn, roughly where is now Bishop Chal1enor School, flowing out of the bank. In this postcard view looking down towards the station in about 1905, it would have been just outside the picture. It was 'formerly held in high esteem and much resorted to by persons affected with complaints of the eyc' continued the above writer; in effect, therefore, Shortlands was a very minor by-product of the spa age that adopted for public resort every spring with the slightest mineral properties.

Shortlands Road, Shortlands

-,

--._-=-'~

.--;:-"'--"'-.

13. Called simply The Old Cottage, this ancient house survives in today's traffic-ridden world on the corner opposite Shortlands Station, but the land beside it has been used for modern terraeed houses, replacing one large Edwardian house with greenhouses and extensive gardens. Of uncertain date, but reckoned to have been built somewhere between 1485 and about 1630, it was once a farmhouse, linked to the small mansion of Shortlands House above it on the hillside by a rough track. Enid Blyton, the children's writer, was a Shortlands resident and a teacher at St. Christopher's School in Beckenham; locally it is said th at The Old Cottage featured in some of her baak illustrations.

5 ORTLANOS ROAO SHORTLANOS.

14. At number 114 Shortlands Road, then ealled The Corner House, lived Mrs. Craik, author ofthe classic 'John Halifax, Gentleman' and many other navels. It was built in 1869 for the Craik family, who moved from Wiekham Raad. One of her poems had a very loeal title , ealled simply 'St. Mary's Shortlands. October 5th, 1867'. Loeally she is also remembered for adopting a tiny baby found abandoned near St. George's Beckenham, whieh she brought up as her own daughter, and who was later married at St. Mary's to one of the wealthy loeal Pilkington family. At The Corner House the Craiks entertained the literary and other fameus of their day.

15. Already by the time of this postcard (about 1915) Shortlands Road had greatly altered since the writer Mrs. Craik Iived in it between the 1860s and 1880s. With pavements and a few larnps it has a civilised and almost modern appearance. She died at her purpose-built home at the other end of this road in 1887 of a heart attack, at the age of sixty-one. She wrote none of her major works while at Shortlands, and is remembered locally mainly for her charitable work in that parish. 'Ta the poor of Shortlands and in the neighbourhood, her decease is a heavy loss ... some time will elapse ere another will be found to supply her place and minister with sa much zeal and unselfishness to the wants of her poorer neighbours.' was written in a Bromley paper obituary column.

Shortlands Road. Shortlands.

16. Shortlands Raad at about the time of the 1914-1918 Great War. Ta us, the greatest contrast between then and now is in the traffic, even though th is is still not a major raad artery. Nevertheless, we can only mourn the peace that must have reigned when one pony-and-trap formed the whole traffie scene.

17. Shortlands Station has changed very little since this view was circulated in about 1910; even the wall post-box is still there, and the adjoining little office, now used by an estate agent. The big gates into the yard have long since disappeared. Interestingly, timetables issued years ago show equally little difference compared with today, quoting a journey of 20-25 minutes to Londen, but fares have risen dramatically. In the early 1930s, for instanee. a yearly season valid to all London stations cost f25.15s (f25.75), and a sixmonthly one cost fl2.17s.6d (fl2.87l/2). Cheapest of all were the early morning 'workrnen's tickets', usually requiring arrival in London before 8 a.rn. and bought daily; ideal for the poorly-paid members of the Shortlands Valley Working Men's Club based just across the line in Station Road.

------am __

-

18. A specially detailed view of Shortlands Station during the First World War and an illustration of how many troops were billeted here. One of severallocal soldiers' clubs is signposted on the right. On the left is seen the stationmaster's house, which was demolished about twenty years ago to make way for a new car park. It was notabie for its tuxuriantly stocked garden, which included fig trees that usually bore fruit. One of these was taken to the churchyard of St. Mary's where it grew weil, until damaged by the October 1987 hurricane. But, after careful pruning and other attention. it is now flourishing there again, under the shelter of the south wall.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek