Sidmouth in old picture postcards

Sidmouth in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Dr. G.H. Gerald Gibbens
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Devon
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2740-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Sidmouth in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

fore $freef.

29. This is Fore Street, the working street. On the left a carrier leaves the London Hotel on schedule. On the left there is Mr. Maeer's shop - he came here from 'Zellersee in Zeelond' way back, along with the Haymans, MI. Berwick had a nursery from Audley down to the Five-cross-road, He was keen on showing that Sidmouth could grow tender plants, especially camellias. There is still a New Zealand Kowhai on the raad there. (Earlier there had been a ropewalk right along that frontage.) Berwick gat two gold medals for his seeds in London, 1902, and several silvers at the (first) Crystal Palace. What is the vehicle on the right? Probably a handcart collecting junk, but it might equally be an Autocar! The early motorist had to put up with cracks like 'No leaky buckets today, thankyew'.

30. Many small towns have got a building like this, which only causes a bottleneck when the traffic gets thick or large. (We used to have another when Taylor's Cottage projected into Coburg Road.) At least Sidmouth is not on a through road. On the left, Nurse is outside Old Hayes, OJ1ce the home of Dr. Bird, then Dr. Grant Wilson, then Harold Fish the photographer, and now Woolworths. Tommy Veale and his like were pillars of the comrnittees and organisations of the town, like the hoteliers. But giant organisations, and cash-and-carry semi-wholesalers have made life rough for them. With the oneway system of recent years we still have plenty of road jams with big delivery vans, but at least we aren't nose-to-nose quite so often.

31. Remains of the oid town still survived in spots, their life nearly over. The place of these was taken by the National Provincial Bank (now S.E.S.) and World's Stores (now Kneels). Potbury's throve on the rnid-Vietorian opportunities, as regular advertisements in the Ioeal papers show. Their growth has been steady: at first shiprnen and eoal importers; then they spread into other transport of heavy goods; then moving households; then to the supply of fresh furniture and fresh houses; then the removal to a fresh and final home of the housekeeper himself.

32. An evocative picture, like a childhood memory. The sun is high and hot, the street wonderfully peaceful, nobody werking, no hurry. This part of the High Street has almost finished its transformation from a largely residential road into an a1most completely commercial one. The change, such as the removal of the cottages, has been slow enough for the buildings to be different in style, so that the 'townscape' is very English and homely.

33. Dr. T.H.S. Pullin, M.D., P.R.C.S.E., next on the left of the car driver in white, is in his favourite role of 10ca1 tycoon. Here he is, bid ding farewell outside his house to important peop1e during Queen Victoria's Jubilee, the crowd enthralled. Throughout his long life (1825 tot 1911) he was used to being in the limelight, in or out ofmedica1 practice. When 'God Save the Queen' was first sung in public, soon after her accession,it was by a Bluecoat boy outside St. Paul's, and the lovely treble was T.H.S. Pullin. He took all sorts of things on hirnself: on 1earning of several bits of good news in the Boer War, he went and hoisted the Royal Standard from the Church tower. (He may have got it from the Vork, who had just had the Prince of Wales to stay.) A total abstainer and non-smeker, he was in medica1 practice here for nearly sixty years, most of it as Medical Officer of Health. He used to burst into the Council Meetings, shouting 'Stop this nonsense about lighting or roads: people are dying because of the pumps and drains'. He was right, too.

34. On the left is Myrtle Hall, a Regency building facing south (print in Museum). It was pulled down in 1889 and the Masonic Hall was put there in the next year, and Myrtle Terrace, whose residences are now all shops. The tall house was Grinfield, belonging to MI. Cutler, the cutier. Renamed Hillsdon, it housed Dr. Cohen and others, and then pharmacists. The cottages were pulled down in July 1932 to build the Fire Station and the Gas Showrooms. Pike's Cottages show how proper upkeep can keep Cob and Thatch for far longer than expected. In fact, most old houses are made of assorted stones, and a lot of timber framing, infilled with a square or diamond of rough brick with cob bunging all gaps, but relying a lot on the plaster. A goed baker's cart is on the right, where Newbery's were for years.

35. Behind the cottages was Pike's Court, where Elizabeth Denner lived after she married Fred Smith. Her pillow lace was almost always made outside the cottage door when possible. The home industry did not really follow the other cottage industry of the area, the spinning of wool. Lace was made as a sideshow for housewives, and around here there was little, if any, of the sweated labour of girls sitting around a single candle whose light was focussed onto each pillow by a flask full of water, in Dickensian style. Sp inning was done by far greater numbers of 'spinsters' (lining the mile-leng street of Newton Poppleford), captive girls with soft hands and full of chat.

The picture was taken by Mrs. Pleydell Bouverie, whose house, Blackmore Hall, was nearby, and was pulled down, 'dripping of wood worm', as later was its neighbour, Cherry Hayes, making a valuable space in the midst of the town.

36. In William Day's map of 1789 for the Manor, the Fort field, stretching over almest to the Church, was covered with strip fields, (See the map in the Museum.) All tenants were paid off in some way, and the Manor ran the area into one. North of it was built the only Regency terrace in Sidmouth, in 1795, by a young Pole called Novosielsky, It was designed as a higher central building flanked by two curving wings, but only half of the west one was finished befare the architect died. It has housed some very grand people. A cricket club was formed there in 1823 with a rustic pavilion, the grass being mowed by sheep, 'not cattie ... frightening to ladies'. In 1859 two important matches were played, against Exeter and Budleigh, with a Ball and Buffet for seventy at the London afterwards.

37. This remarkable picture boggles the mind, for Back-Fortfield was four times as big as the cricket field. The view is from Witheby. To the right of the Church tower are the backs of Fortfield Terrace, which stood alone in an expanse of grass. (Many country houses stood thus, with sheep eropping up to the windows. Our prints show opinions equally divided between sheep and gardens. If there were no mowing machines, most of us might opt for sheep.) To the right of the Terrace the 'Torbay' is ju st visible across the cricket field. There is no Manor Road. The footpath from the Church across and up Cunningharn's Lane (an early owner of Witheby) crosses the Gien stream by the Iron Bridge which is still visibly embedded under the Manor Road bridge.

38. The Royal GIen used to be called Woolbrook GIen, heaven knows why, as the 'real' Woolbrook runs only a mile away and the 'submanor' is old: Ulebrok 1244, Ullebroeke 1272, 'UIIa's brook'. But certainly it was set in a charming glen all by itself. The Duke and Duehess of Kent eame with the baby Victoria before Christmas 1819. He had the reputation of being a tough, a1most a harsh, disciplinarian during his Army career, but all that is reeorded about him here (including the views of Ioeal barbers, etc.), shows him as aloving and thoughtful husband and father. He doesn't look it in his pictures.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek