Sidmouth in old picture postcards

Sidmouth in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Dr. G.H. Gerald Gibbens
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Devon
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2740-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Sidmouth in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. The 'airy charrn' of the little verandah of the GIen should look absurd against a castellated house, but the extraordinary thing about the Regency Marine Cottages (for which Sidmouth is the Site) is that everybody seems pleased. When the Duke's body lay in State in the upstair drawingroom, people filed in the front door and out of this one. The little house in the gIen grew, as almost every one of the Cottages did. But owners in recent times have been kind to it, and the Council did not have to use any of the powers available to prevent spoiling Grade I buildings. The owners have added to its facilities as a hotel with unusual skill, even to the extent of burrowing into the bank.

40. The Elysian Fields are a collection of Regency houses arranged like dates on astalk which goes from Temple Street up a high knoll in the middle of the valley. It was the first example of Planning in Sidmouth, and people thought the highflown name suitable. Each of the houses is illustrated by an 1826 print by George Rowe in the Museum. All have big gardens, but Richmond House has several acres. lts chinoiserie looks veritable (East India Company designer? ) unlike the other Boxes which were only Sketches. (Regency words.) By 1859, the Reverend the Earl of Buckinghamshire lived there. He gave some grand Balls, so the house must have spread. He was a strong Traditionalist against the 'high church' Tractarians during the storrny rebuilding of the parish church in 1860. He departed in 1876, and the house became Sidholme.

41. Sidholme was bought by rich Mr. Davidson who soon died, 1878. His widow made great improvements, very beautiful, but herself the greatest ornament (POH 1881). It was probably she who planted the trees and 'ran them up' by cutting side branches off while still young, producing the huge trees with smooth trunks, and the high-Iight-shade which is only attainable in a big old property (see 49! ). She married Mr. Lindemann in 1884 and the house becarne bigger, with the magnificent musie-room with a regal staircase. In 1931 it became a Wesleyan Guild holiday horne, and grew many more rooms to hold 132 people, full of mutual help and laughter. Professor Lindemann was Churchill's scientific adviser in the war.

42. Everything about Knowie is extraordinary. It was built in 1809-1811 for Lord Ie Despenser, the notorious libertine. He insisted, typically, that the rough facing-flints should be collected dangerously, out over the edge of Peak Hill. It started with forty rooms, but was soon bought by T.L. ('Golden') Fish who added in 1821-1841 exotic plants, beasts, birds and fish, admitting the public on fine Mondays. It was soon a famous showplace, to the joy of local tradesmen. Then, Thorntons bought more land and demolished Ayshford to make a lower lodge. Inside, the IOD-foot suite of rooms contained '70 tables of 1000 exquisite objets d'art'. An upper storey was added, without thatch. Popularity was such that ladies were advised to 'arrivé rather late to avoid the crush of bonnets and the destruction of millinery'. Dick Thornton, 1833-1876, excellent cricketer at Oxford, leased the Fort field for fourteen years and put it into fine condition.

43. In 1882, the Sidmouth Hotel and Baths Co. Ltd. bought Knowie, sold much of the land in lots, and it flourished and was greatly enlarged in 1904, to be almost unrecognisable once more. It was a fine and comfortable hotel in 1935. The R.A.F. inhabited it during the 1939-1945 War, and soon afterwards the Southern Railway bought it as part of a policy of widening their interests, but had difficulty in selling it again in 1951. Since the 1970's the Iittle Councils have been combined into an East Devon District Council with more enlargement of Knowie as headquarters. The idea was economy and efficiency, but the opposite seems to have happened. More and more reports are made, needing more staff, and local interest and knowledge have been lessened so that most places retain their Town Councils as weIl!

44. At The Marino, beautiful updated Georgian, later Pauntley, lived Major Hieks who drew happy caricatures of the society of his day. They had a great time - say, 1860 to 1910: plenty of money and servants; hobbies and interests and skills; dancing, painting, gay picnics, above all freedom to drop in anytime on about forty houses, full of food and company. Before the last war really started, evacuees began to pour in with eaeh train; at first ehildren from the East End, with huge labels. Pauntley was ready, the first big house to be made into a Hostel with a matron and eommunal feeding. At on ce they needed shoes and clothes, and everyene's cupboard opened. In October 1940 Pauntley was the first in the county to make a Nursery Centre for toddlers so that their mothers eould go to work, and the first to have its land turned into allotments.

45. FIOm the time it was built everybody has loved 'The Lodge to the Marine', and it had changed outside only by having an inoffensive wing on the right. Now it is 'The Prettiest Council House'. The weII-used lane, on the left, leads to Boughmore Farm. Now it is nearly blocked from disuse but, as it was only a farrn-access road (not a highway or footpath), nobodyelse is legally entitled to make it passable. Boughmore was Boghemor in 1351 - straight Old English for 'the Curved Wasteland'; just as Bowd was Boghewode in 1281, Bowood 1566, the 'Curved (bowed) Wood', both good descriptions. ('Place Names of Devon', in the Library.) Now spoken Boomer: 'Same thing' said Henry Gigg.

46. The Reverend H.G.J. Clements was Curate in Sidmouth 1857-1859, just when the disgraceful affair of the Parish Church was coming to the boil. (Shell Guide for Devon Churches in general: The church's restoration in 1863 has left for contemplation NOT what there used to bel ) He returned as Vicar from 1865 to 1913 - forty-eight years - from the outset healing the breaches between his warring parishioners. He was literary, artistic, another caricaturist, specialising in curates, and a wit. He joined and cemented the social crowd, cheering the last twenty-five years of most of their lives, and was well-known for his success in spreading their money to the poor.

47. Opposite the Church was the Retreat, the home of curates and, judging by the Vicar's book of caricatures, they were an odd lot. But, POH wrote: ft is as hard to get a good curate as a good footman. In those days of many and long Services, it was sad for POH to have to write The vicar took the whole service. Footmen, however, were by no means Flunkeys, but were literally Runners, the Victorian equivalent of the telephone. After the 1914-1918 War, the War Memorial consisted of the conversion of the Retreat into an ex-Servicernen's Club. R.W. Sampson (see page 61) designed a marvellous addition, two cupolas, a flagstaff, two huge windows and three oval windows, all much embellished. Unfortunately or not, money was short, and the extension we have now is severely practical.

48. The Vicarage was a long way from the Church, as usual, because most Vicars had a large garden and a larger glebe. In fact, the property added to that of its similar neighbour to the south, Radway, used to comprise all the land from the Elysian Fieldsalmost to All Saints Road, and a lot to the east side of Vicarage Road. Both houses were in the same spacious style but, as things go, such houses do not cut up well, and they went. The Vicarage lay between Victoria and Connaught Roads, and Radway was behind the Post Office. The new Vicarage was the present Culver House; then it was next to the Manor Road car park; and now up Convent Road, house and property shrinking steadily, to the great relief of the incumbent.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek