Sidmouth in old picture postcards

Sidmouth in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Dr. G.H. Gerald Gibbens
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Devon
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2740-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Sidmouth in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

COTTAGE HOSPITAL, SIDMOUTH.

59. Mrs. Trepplin (in whose bedroom Iwrite this) let May Cottage as a hospital in 1884, and it opened in March 1885 'in spite of opposition from the doctors'. In 1889 somebody gave !.sOO, the Colonel gave a new site in the Blackmore Field, and with plans by Mr. Cave a new hospital for ten patients was built for f:1,200.0.8d. The Queen allowed her name to be given to it. This view still faces people entering the hospital yard. By 1930 extension was necessary. The Colonel, of course, gave more land, and the new work was built right across the face of the old hospital, and three times its size - far the best small hospital around. Sin ce then there have been steady improvements which should fight off the crazy idea of closing smal! hospitals.

60. Bickwell Cottage is a fine example of cob-and-thatch, weil preserved because the inhabitants, rnostly Giggs, knew the careful upkeep required - and they had Manor money. Giggs were marvellous people to listen to, with a big dash of nonsense in all they said. 'Young' Henry Gigg, then seventy-five, cut the branch he was sitting on three times, hurting himself each time. The road shown here Was valuable for horsemen and smugglers, running quietly from Temple Street right up to Salters Cross on Muttersmoor (Mutter was a smuggler, and quite likely there are brandy tubs up there now), and over to join Four Elms HilI. The Manor started developing the lovely 'five fjelds' of the Bickwell Valley in 1908. Sampson was at his most assured, with big houses and gardens. It makes a showcase for Edwardian architecture, and is now preserved.

61. R.W. Sampson, ARmA, 1866-1950, arrived by 1890 and published a booklet of his sketches of Sidmouth in 1891. At his death in 1950, the Heraid wrote: His conneetion with Colonel J.E.H. Baljour was responsible [or practically the whole of the architectural layout of Sidmouth. He would have liked that, for there were plenty of ordinary builders about. Here he is with Neville Chamberlain, then Minister of Housing, who said that this was the best CounciJ development he had ever seen. More typical, though, are the Bickwell Valley, Manor Raad, the Victoria Hotel and Sidbury Hili, where he died. His houses were always in high fashion, 'even if the measurements didn't fit inside'. The weight of his woodwork was fairly ordinary then, but it looks very cumbersome alongside any Georgian or Regency work. He is best remembered here for resurrecting the Amateur Operatic Society, and for his superb playing of Jack Point, Koka, and the rest. As E.E. Whitton 'quoted': 'Where can we ever find another? '

62. EIlis first put up a gasworks 'on Land' ~ by the top of Water Lane, and supplied some gas for ten years, except when a gasholder tried to blow away. Mr. Dunning came down from Middlesbrough in 1873, bought the old gasworks and much of the Ham, and built his gasworks of shingle made into concrete on the spot. He had a vision of coa1ships coming alongside a jetty with a little railway to run the coal right into his Works. He could not dig right down for foundations, so put his 3-foot cubes on shingle. As soon as the end was placed, the sea knocked it down (POH Hist. IV, 170). He persisted for five years until the money ran out. The gasworks worked well for ninety years, never very handsome in such a position, and its remova1 up to the Station was a relief.

63. In a seaside town, people used to think that sewage disposal is easy ; but when increasing population begins to cause poilu tion it is not at all easy, for there is little room for the efficient purifying plants used inland. Chemieals which poison the sea are worse still. On the occasion here, townspeople were annoyed because the large workforce (this is only half) had to be billetted, being all strangers. In February, 1874, the streets of the town were almost impossible because of the bigger gas pipes as weU as a new systern of drains. At least they were done together: nowadays we would have two separate lots of chaos, lasting three times as long. That is progress. The last time that work had to be done in the Ham it was for a liquidising plant with an elongated sea-outfall. The timing slipped, and the Ham was open for most of a hot summer, while the sea extension was done during winter gales!

64. The existence of thatch within the town greatly increased the risk offire. In 1875-1890 there were nineteen serious fires, and the fire engine could not cope at all. Thatch went up like a torch. MI. R.E. Wood, J.P., D.L., of Belmont gave a new steam fire engine, and on June 5th, 1902, it was put through its paces on the Ham, f1ashing up its boiler and raising a full head of steam very rapidly. In this picture, given by Mrs. Lee of Winslade Road, on the extreme right is her grandfather, Mr. Piper, father of two well-known gardeners, Harry and Albert. Next to him is Arthur Skinner's father, Jimmy, who had all those stories about him. When Mrs. Schofield's shop at Radway caught fire, he rushed up the stairs and came down backwards, because the stock of pencils was rolling down! After a few tries he sat down and said: 'Let 'er burn up a bit, b'y: see where we'm goin'? ' His men were always expecting his breath to catch fire.

65. The horse was paramount, of course, for mobility before the railway came, and by modern standards the place should have been seething with them. Of course it wasn't so, and these cabs were no commoner than modern taxis. There we re a good many carriages, but they weren't left around. A parked carriage was likely to be a doctor's, but they would not normally go more than three miles. The roadcliff this side ofOtterton had a large 3 cut into it, and kept deep by the coachrnan's whip handle: still called 'Doctors' Three' in 1935, it is now invisible. As cabs and carriages were only for the well-off, everybody walked much further, including the rich. The place was marvellously quiet. A farmer by the tollhouse at the foot ofWinslade Road used often to shout to his sons on Bulverton Hill if they were wanted.

66. The Railway reached Exeter via Bristol on May Day 1844, and 'Actaeon' retumed the 194 miles in 280 minutes. The southern route only reached Exeter in 1860, delayed by daft Motions in Parliarnent, such as the plan to bring the main line down Paccombe and through Peak somewhere. The Sidmouth Railway Company was formed (by the Manor, of course, like the Waterworks) and after trouble with the Tipton gradient ('nearly the steepest on any passenger line', Waterloo wrote) it reached Sidmouth at last on July 6th, 1874, and there was such a beano for four days as nobody had ever seen. Our branch never really paid, and DI. Pullin was glad to get his money back in the end. It shut about 1969 amid shouts of unconvincing protest. For these who like their statements broad (like 'the Chilterns stretch from Oxford to Cambridge'), three things here lasted a century: the first seawall; the Harn gasworks; and the railway.

67. Horses were still needed after the Railway had come, though long-distance coaches quickly died. Sidmouth's brave new hotels, of course, had their waiting vehicle, with a hotel porter and a list of expected guests. The distance from the station to the front was considered bad, but it is difficult to credit the plan (POH Hist. IV, 173-9) for taking it past the front door of the Manor, down Convent Road to the Belmont. That must have been planned by advocates of a Chit harbour, whose foundation stone still lies alo ne out on the rocks. Another plan was to take it down to the bottom of Brewery Lane. Potbury's Repository (now destroyed) was alleged to have been built as a station hotel, and did look like one.

68. Automobiles really started to oust horses after the 1914-1918 War, though the vehicle used for this outing of the Royal Naval Old Comrades (founded 1912) looks more like a jollyboat - not that this ship's company would bother. Left to right, back:

Irving Dagworthy (driver), B. Churchill, C. Harris, Bil! Gooding, Broom and Moss Turner. Left to right, front: J. Skinner (farmer), Reg Harris (new hat back to front), Dr. Blake the vet., Bertie Slade, Bob Simmons and W. Hook (Councillor) There are very daunting hills round here, remembering that the Honiton Road went up the hairpins at Pinn Farm til! about 1905, and the Lyme Regis road climbed the hairpins ofOld Trow til! 1930.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek