Sidmouth in old picture postcards

Sidmouth in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Dr. G.H. Gerald Gibbens
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Devon
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2740-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Sidmouth in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. W.A. Dagworthy, born 1878, owned perhaps the first car in Sidmouth, built far the best garage around his own old horne, and became Chairman of the Council and I.P. In 1919 the Devon General Bus Cornpany had been formed, mostly with Army-lorry chassis. At fust Sidmouth had no service, so Dagworthy started his Sidmouth-Exeter run. Here, in 1921, the conductor has been sent to see if the Clyst f100d water got any deeper ahead. The bridge, mentioned in 1238, was the scene of terrible fighting before the Prayer Book rebels were defeated in 1549, but it carried the main road traffic for fifty years after this picture. In 1930 the Devon General had new Leylands and a Sidmouth Depot, which were factors in the final closing of our railway.

70. Radway was the top of the town except for a few large houses like the Vicarage, The Grove, Elysian Fields, Ascerton, Lirne Park and Arcot, scattered up the road. Around the turn of the century, roadlining houses of red-and-white brick were built (such as opposite the Police Station) on the outskirts of most towns and cities, Exeter Cross was weil outside the building area and (almost incredibly) Honiton Rural District began a hundred yards from here at Livonia bridge.

Farmland started there, and when building beyond there began, the houses are quite different in outlook. The gift by the Manor of two recreation grounds make a very great difference to the area, an extension of the 'green heart'. Perhaps in our time we can at least continue to insist on the green belt that keeps Sidbury a vitIage.

71. Azuley Wallace, who lived by the Sid Lane weir, loved taking pictures of children. Mrs. White is at home at Manston Farm; the seated child is Molly, beloved of concert parties in the 1920's; right is Gertie White. Orchards are often nearby, sornetimes in the pit from which cob has been dug, as at Bulverton, or, as at Burscombe, where the pigs become frisky on discarded eider cheeses, Severa1 apples were bom near here: the Woo1brook pippin; and Tom Putt, the great eider apple, bred by himself at Combe in Gittisham. The King Alfred daffodil was a sport in Mr. Hill's farm just west of the Cannon, in Newton Poppleford. Manston Old House, late mediaeval, has a lot of Salcombe stone, with carved Beer stone windows. It was probably remodelled in 1589, the date on the beautiful chimney. The inside is also about that date. The solar, cut out of the top corner of the Hall, shows the cruck construction sp reading up from the ground. A Regency sketch shows that the carved 'backdoor' is the rnain one.

72. Sidbury has the hallmark of an ancient village, every road entering it by a sharp crook as though to state that this is not a through village but a terminus. The lovely Church, with its Saxon crypt, is set in a valley-triangle, with sides of three miles, made up of eight combes; clockwise: Burscombe, Filcombe, Lincombe, call it Plyford, call it Sidcombe, forked Roncombe, Hareombe and Paccombe. It is easy to get happily lost, and the extensive Sidbury Manor is almost invisible! In such an area Harry Banks, the postman, used to be almost the only carrier of news to outlying farms, which feel astonishingly remote even with cars and telephones.

73. A very miserable moment, with Mrs. Churchill thinking of leaving Plyford Farm, beyend Sidbury, where she had lived almost all her life. All her cooking had always been with those ancient vessels on a fire of wood. To succeed with these the cook must learn to cook all over again. She put embers on the concave tops of the great iron pots, whose height above the fire was critical, repeatedly adjusted with the hanging sawtooth device. Baking was done in a sort of drawer under the fire. Draughts were vile, and people got used to having dead feet in winter. The Sid at Plyford runs in a 45-degree gorge known as Mother Capem's Bottom. Some people dig up the wild daffodil bulbs there, instead of just picking. It is illegal, but also pointless, as they look forlorn in a garden.

74. There are a dozen Slades in Devon (Old English, Slaed is a flat valley, strip of greensward between woods), and the farm is at the head of the deepening vallev of Weston. It is now fameus as a Donkey Sanctuary: have they a corner in donkeys yet? The Leighs had a lot of land around. Thomazine Leigh left a diary of the lively time the Leigh girls had, especially when Keats' poetic pals were around. Everybody wrote reams. They had sentimental picnics under Dunscornbe cliffs, where it is warm alrnost always but sadly became impracticable for us when blackthorn took over the Undercliff, about 1920. There were gay parties everywhere, though the only real Assembly Rooms were in the London down in Sidmouth, (Mother played the double-bass: ideal.) Thomazine married Capt. John Carslake, R.N., of Cotmaton. He served in the 'Victory' at Trafalgar; was a founder member of what

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek