South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1

South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   D. Johnson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3004-2
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Wapping Street and Stobb's Lane in 1910. Stobb's Lane is the narrow alley in the centre of the photograph. lt ran from Wapping Street up to Wellington Street, and must have been just another part of the whole adventure pIay ground this area must have been to the children, who could always temporarily escape from the consequences of their misehief into one of the empty houses. Nearby at the entrance to the Old Ferry Landing nearby stood a quaint building dating back to at least Stuart times, called 'Noah's Ark' after a carving over the door. In later times it was known as 'Bella Booth's' and was supposed to be haunted. The minister of St. Hilda's was asked to exorcise the place, but it is not on record whether this was done or was successful. lt was said by some that smuggled French brandy was the onIy spirit in the house, but that is another story.

10. The foot of the Long Bank, taken between 1910 and 1930 by Mr. Laws. The photograph has a curiously ghostly air, as well it rnight, for not only was the Old Noah's Ark pub near, but Jack the Hammer lived here not only in life but after death, according to some. Jack had been a travelling tinker, but had evidently seen better days by his manner and even in old age was still a tall, fine-Iooking man. He lived and died alone in a house in Long Bank, and his uneasy spirit made its presence felt in an unusual and useful manner, by loud knocking on the gable end of the house as with a hammer. The louder the knocks the more severe the storm which they foretold. An old man was put into the house as caretaker as nobodyelse would live there. He declared it was all nonsense, but the local sailors firmly believed in Jack the Hammer.

11. Fowler Street with the corner of Burrow Street in 1901. The J.T. Dagleas whose sign you can just see on the far left was a plumber. Burrow Street boasted two pawnbrokers at the time this photograph was taken; T. Blanch at number 9 and A.S. Gompertz at number 11, also A.J. Trippit, who was a bootmaker. History is silent on the origin of the name Burrow Street, but according to Horsley 'the field in which the station at South Shields has stood is called the Lawe, formerly it went by the name of the Burrow Meadow'. There is no confusion on the name Fowler Street, however, for it commemorates the Fowler family who at one time owned land in this area. Fowler's Close was a block of freehold land of about 2Sv" acres bounded by Fowler Street on the west. In all probability it was one of the ancient freeholds created in 1324.

12. An artist's impression of the new Town Hall in 1910. The original was used for the invitation cards for the official opening of the building. The tale of the disputes behind the building of the new Town Hall is a long one. The town improvement bil! of 1855 empowered the council to alter, enlarge or demolish the old Town Hall, and some were in favour of a new Town Hall on the site of the old Golden Lion Pub. J.C. Stevensen favoured demolition and a public hall in the Market Place with covered markets underneath. These plans feIl through as did ones for a new Town Hall on alternative sites round the Market Place. A lease was obtained for the present site in 1875, but it was not until1905 that the foundation stone was actually laid. The clock chimes on the quarter and on the hour. The words to the chimes are 'Lord, through this hour, be thou my guide, so by thy power, na foot shall slide'.

13. Westoe Cemetery in 1886 showing the old bridge over the railway, and who would think while looking on this peaceful scene that graveyards were the subject of great controversy in the Shie1ds Gazette of 1854-55. The problem was that St. Hilda's Churchyard was full to overflowing, and the Dean and Chapter had first refused to ailow Holy Trinity Churchyard to be enlarged, then had changed their minds. The editor of the Gazette was hounding the new burial board with vigour, and an outbreak of cholera made matters worse. In 1856 part of Robert Ingham's farm was bought and the cemetery was laid out. The first interment was a boy James Walker Martin, who had been accidentaily drowned. Apparently he had once been playing there and had said he would like to be buried in a certain spot. He had his wish.

14. Westoe House in 1899, formerly 'The Hall', was according to Miss Flagg, the gem ofthe older houses in Westoe Village. It was built mainly in the eighteenth century, with some fragments from an older house dating from the seventeenth century. These came from a house at the low end of the town, that is Shadwell and Thrift Street area, built by Flemish workmen. Sadly, it was demolished in the late 1950's. Perhaps the most interesting resident was Robert Ingham, first M.P. for South Shields, barrister, attorney general for County Durham, and host to many of the leading lights in law, literature and science at what was then a charming country retreat where from the windows one had an unimpeded view of the North Sea, and Tynemouth Priory. The gardens were also famous, and in 1854 thieves got away with two stones of grapes fr om one of the hothouses. The Ingham Infirrnary is named after Mr. Ingham.

15. Westoe House from Westoe Drive in 1927. Even today, this spot can be still as tranquil and alm ast rural in its character. This raad was made from Horsley Hill Raad to join up with the path from the top ofWestoe Village about 1880. For many years the northern half ofWestoe Park Estate, as it was then known, was open land; it was used as allotments after 1914, and was built over later. The small 'island' once had trees and iron railings. Fairfield, Seacroft, Ingleside and Stanhope House stood to the 1eft of the photograph. Fairfield was demolished and Ingleside became Nightingale House which was a half-way house for the mentally il1 and is now to become a rehabilitation centre for drug addicts.

16. Earlier inhabitants knew this as Caston Dyke, then it becarne Westoe Terrace, then Dean Lane, and finally Dean Road. This photograph was taken before 1910 and shows Tindie House, now the site of the 'Regent' Bingo Hall, formerly the Regent Cinema. The 'Regent' was opened by the Mayor and Mayoress, Alderman and J:W. Watson, in 1935. Unlike many cinemas of the period, it had been mainly built by local firms and the architects were also a local firm, Morton and Sons. The architects had played safe by designing it as a cinema, but with space for variety performances. It is surprising to think that prior to 3rd May 1897, the Parishes of South Shields and Westoe were separate entities.

17. The unveiling of Tyne Doek Cenotaph on Saturday 15th October 1921, by Sir Alexander Kaye Butterworth, general manager of the North Eastern Railway Company. It was built from public subscriptions by the West End War Memorial Committee, the chairman being Alderman E.H. Gibbon, who gave an address at the unveiling. He had been in the Third Durham Volunteer Artillery, and had acted as a Recruiting Officer during the war, so in his own words was 'best able to estimate those who rushed to the colours', many of whom this cenotaph commemorates. It is also surprising that he as with many of the committee, do not seem to have seen active service. St. Peter and Paul's Church is shown at the top right, Catherine Cookson, the local authoress, was a member of the congregation in her early years.

18. Wellington Street circa 1900, showing the remains of the old theatre, which stood at the junction of Heron Street and Wellington Streel. It was opened in 1792 and closed 1866 when the Theatre Royal, King Street, opened. It was demolished in 1936 prior to the construction of River Drive. Actors famous in their day such as the tragedian MacReady played there and it was owned by the Roxby Beverley family from 1831 until its closure. One programme which survives is for the performance of Miss Clara Fisher from the theatres Royal Covent Garden, and Drury Lane (an infant under eight years of age) on 22nd June 1819 playing the lead in Richard lIl; three other of the misses Fisher have plum parts in this performance. This was followed by a dance, a song, then the musical entertainment 'Rosina', Charles Grubb remembers 'the ticket entrance coloured with red ochre. Up a few steps are the boxes, nearly on a level with the pit, with only one tier. Drama followed by an interlude, or singing and dancing and a farce aften kept us amused till past midnight'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek