South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1

South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   D. Johnson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3004-2
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. Field House, situated at the top of Salmon Street, in 1890, and looking like a set from a murder mystery of the 1930's, but it was the 1830's when the house was eonneeted with the death of a magistrate at Jarrow Slake. On 11th June 1832 Ralph Armstrong and William Jobling allegedly seriously injured the owner of the house, Nieholas Fairles. Jobling was brought here to be identified by the dying Fairles, and was later hanged for his murder. Curiously enough, Jobling's wife Isabella had been a servant in the house before her marriage. The land was bought for housing in 1902, and the name Fairles Street is now the only reminder of the house and the onee important family.

20. The end of Military Road and Mile End Road, showing the Greens' Sailor Boys home. It stood on the site of the old Fairles family home. The house was originally built by Thomas Barker, shipowner, and was known as Mile End House. About 1825 it passed into the possession of the Green family, who resided there for many years, In 1877 the premises were presented by the Reverend Robert Green and his sisters to the Wellesley Committee, with the object of providing a home for old Wellesley boys returning from sea. (The Wellesley School-Ship had been set up as a Training School for destitute boys in 1868.) It subsequently became a hospital for the ship then in 1885 was converted into a Junior Branch of the School-Ship, being licensed for sixty boys.

21. The corner of Keppel Street looking north-west in 1900. Note the errand boy at the door of Wetherell's; orders would be delivered to custorners in those days, Again, all that you see here was swept away shortly after this photograph was taken, and is in the process of being changed again. Keppel Street was at one time Keppel Lane, home of Thomas Wilson's quarterly school. There is some confusion as to which Keppel the street comrnemorates, some of the contenders are Admiral Viscount Augustus Keppel who was the secend son of the second Earl of AlbernarIe; the sixth Earl of Albemarle, George Thomas Keppel, who fought at Waterloo; and Admiral Sir Henry Keppel, a famous figure in the Royal Navy in Victorian days.

22. Brinkburn Farm with the commencement of the footpath to Harton Colliery, taken about 1900. The Harton Coal Company had at one time owned the land, and the farm lands and the footpath to the colliery, the type of scenery D.H. Lawrence loved to describe, went within living memory. There had been an eviction wrangle over the house but thankfully in 1978 the house was sold then carefully restored by its present owners. The exact date of building of the house is not known, but there is a building which could possibly be it on a map of the area dated 1768.

23. The lodge at Dean House at the bottom of Dean Road, taken about 1900. People who know this area as it is now may be surprised that this building was actually a lodge of Dean Villa, a house which stood in its own grounds among fields, and the only things to disturb the peace nearbywere the two branch lines of the North Eastern Railway which had been built quite recently on either side. Corny Hill, which had been covered and is about to be covered again by housing, stood to the north-east, A winding lane ran past a number of quarries to Westoe; the map of 1768 gives it the omineus title of Cut-Throat Lane but we know it now by a more prosaic name - Dean Road,

24. The home of Joseph Mason Moore, who was a member of the Town Council from 1862 to 1871 when he resigned to become Town Clerk on the death of Thomas Salmon. He was very fond of gardening, chrysanthemums being his favourite flower. Once a year he opened his garden to the public, also providing musie and refreshments. This shot must have been taken at one of these open days. The story of the house is a curious one. It stands on the site of J.A. Urwin's shop which was demolished to make way for it. Later the house was converted into shops, the window on the right now faces into Moore Avenue.

25. F100ds at the Deans, 1900. Momentarily, the children here are more interested in the photographer than the scene he is trying to capture. It was taken just about opposite Dean House, and the buildings on the left are part of the Dean Brewery which stood on the site of what was the Deans Estate. Earlier in 1900, there had been a disagreement between the owner of the Dean Brewery and the Corporation over the blocking of asewer; the floods which occurred on Friday 26th and Saturday 27th October 1900, must have made that fade into insignificance. Recommendations were made, and letters were written, but to this day the Tyne Doek area is subject to floods.

I

/

f

26. Frederick Street looking towards Laygate shortly before the First World War. Note the push chair on the left and the barber's pole beside the street lamp. On the right is the Tyne Doek Industrial Co-op, which moved into these premises about 1901. The 'Co-op' had proved particularly popular in the North East where by 1885 'at least one-third of the population purchase their requirements from the Co-operative stores'. As with King Street, the shop fronts have changed, but the upper stories of the buildings are often exactly the same as are shown here, The right-hand side of Frederick Street was the first to be developed, and in the 1850's there were gardens and fields opposite, but by the 1900's the street had developed into a busy shopping centre.

27. The corner of Frederick Street and Laygate Lane in 1906, showing the buildings which were about to be removed for the laying of tramway tracks. The shop on the right is Swords' the printers and the one in the centre is a temperanee bar. Temperanee bars were quite popular in Victorian and Edwardian South Shields; at the time the photograph was taken there were no less than eight of them in the South Shields directory. By 1940 there were only three and they are now a thing of the past. The church, whose spire is on the right of the picture, is, or was, the Laygate Presbyterian Church which was closed in December 1938 and demolished in early 1959, despite its being designed by John Dobson and having three stained glass windows in memory of the Rennoldson family, as well as a monument to James Stevensen.

28. The Terrace in the South Marine Park about 1929, which was obviously the place to see and be seen with the younger set, as the three girls running the gauntlet of the row of young men on the left testifies. The hats seem made for the coy glances, but the open display of silk covered knees by the girl on the steps on the right would have been horrifying to the distinguished throng at the opening of the parks on Race Wednesday in June 1890. Among these in the procession to the new parks were the Knights of Labour, the Temperanee Societies, the Smith's Society, and the Society of Railway Servants. The Mayor gave a banquet in the evening at the library hall, and the dinner, of 'A most sumptuous character', was provided by the Royal Hotel.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek