South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1

South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   D. Johnson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3004-2
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. The North Beach in the early 1900's, when the North Pier was being repaired after damage and a new lighthouse built. You can just see the crane to the Ieft on the horizon. Johnson's pleasure boats are lined up ready for customers and the donkey rides already have one prospective jockey. To the right we can see the lifeboat hut built in the early spring of 1867, and not only did it enable the members of the newIy formed Volunteer Life Brigade to keep a bad weather watch in comfort, but it provided a quickly accessibie souree of warmth and comfort to the victims of the depressingly numerous shipwrecks of the time. To the crew of the schooner 'Impulse', wrecked in September 1868, the modest hut must have seerned better than a palace. The cook of the ship had thoughtfully brought a plum-pudding which he had been cooking with him as a housewarming present, however.

30. Cleadon Hills showing the old mill in the middle distance and Cleadon Water Works to the right. Astranger to the area might wonder at the inclusion of this photograph, but to generations of the inhabitants of South Shields, Cleadon Hills was an adventure playground, a place for exercising the dog, doing your courting, playing with your sledge in winter, and so on. The mill itself was possibly built about 1820 and verbal tradition asserts that it was built by the Reverend George Cooper Abbs, of Abbs House, Cleadon Village. It is certain1y on the 1854 Ordnance Survey map. It had been disused for 60 or 70 years by 1955 when Sir Robert Chapman reminiseed about it. He also remembered farm buildings there and the artillery unit stationed on the site during the First World War.

- - 'S.

~~~5EI~~~·

31. Another fair at the Market Place - note the weighing chair. St. Hilda's Church in the background stands, it is said, on the site of a monastery founded by St. Hilda circa 648. Part of the church may date back to mediaeval times but the main part of the structure was built between 1810 and 1812. St. Hilda's was the only Anglican church in South Shields, until 1819 when St. Thomas' was opened, and until1870 pews were privately owned. The church was damaged during a particularly severe air raid on the night of 2nd October 1941. All the windows were shattered, the roof dislodged, and the walls pitted and scarred with shrapnel. There are several memorials in the church to various local persons, together with an interesting model of the lifeboat 'Original' suspended from the ceiling. lts inventor, William Wou1dhave, 'lies at rest outside.

---

:. -;:-

,.... -:~.:-

. ...~ _ ?....... - .... _ ..

32. Part of Corstorphine Town in the 1890's. This was a speculative building venture by the Scot Robert Corstorphine, who built it in 1839, and who was subsequently the landlord of the Cockson's Arms Inn. 'Robby' Corstorphine had also been an employee of Cockson's Chemical Works and had spoken with James Mather at a meeting in support of the works in 1843, when numerous legal actions were making the situation difficult for the owners, The area was absorbed by Readhead's Docks in 1918. The horse tram is on the Tyne Doek route. The men hanging about are probably hoping for work at the nearby decks. It was still customary until the Second World War, for men to wait at the doek gate in the morning, until those found suitable had been picked out.

33. This part of Corstorphine Town was known as Newmarket. It is shown as it was in 1900. The name commemorated the unrealised hope of Mr. James Young, who intended it to be a rival of the market place near St. Hilda's, It was opened in 1857, but never really caught on. The doek was taken out in 1954; despite the fact that it was well known for its accuracy. It had been re-erected on 21st February 1913 and set in motion by the Mayor, Councillor John Watt Hendersen. Note the old advertisements, or 'streetjewellery', as they are now cailed, also the coachman complete with top hat.

34. This photograph showing the foot of East Holbom was taken in 1920. The viear of Holy Trinity notes in 1911 that rolling of lighted tar barrels down this and other of the many banks in old shields was a popülar pastime until the 1890's. Whether this was a degraded form of the Shetland New Year custorn of lighting tar barrels or not is debatable, eertainly men and lads were brought in from Orkney and Shetland in 1824 as strike breakers; and there was also a conneetion with these islands and the old Tyneside whaling industry and later the herring fleets as well. The name Holbom itself is a relie of the eoal trade to London.

35. This shot of East Holbom in the late 1920's gives some idea of the narrowness of the streets, one of the many reasans why it was dernolished in the 1930's. It shows the Hop Pole Inn, pony Milliard's Fish Shop, French's Fruit Shop and Camillieri's Lodging House. This densely populated area had many lodging houses for the sailors who later aften settled permanently in the area. The local Medical Officer of Health aften had a running battle trying to keep these premises within the law and it must have been a great relief when these frequently neglected streets with their vermin and insect life finally went.

36. Station Road looking north in 1905. The Old Low Railway Station is commemorated by this name, dating back to the days when a passenger's 'coach' was an open truck with low sides, resembling the goods waggons in use to-day, with seats placed in it and a door on each side. On the right the tall tower is the Pigeon WeU in St. Hilda's colliery yard. It was given this name because the purity and sweetness of the water made it a favourite drinking place for local pigeons, The well was used to fIU, by pumping, the large water tower in St. Hilda's colliery yard.

37. All the fun of the fair at the Market Plaee, South Shields. The private Act of Parliament which enabled the market plaee to be laid out also ensured that the towns people had permission to hold two fairs every year; one upon 24th June and one on 5th September. There was also a provision for a market every week on Wednesday. In Vietorian times the arrival ofthe travelling showmen who transported the slides, rnerry-goround and shows was a red-letter day for loeal people. The late 1890's and 1900's saw them ineorporating short film shows into their acts, but the demand for travelling shows dwindled and now there is only Newcastle 'Hoppings' to remind us of how things onee were.

38. An early shot of King Street, decorated for Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1887. The 'Welcome to Shields' caption is hung over what is now the Metro bridge but what was then the Railway bridge. Superficially, the scene is entirely different until one looks to the upper stories of the buildings and realises that they have hardly changed. The Edinburgh buildings with the fanciful tower effect at the corner is still there (centre of the photograph) as is the handsome Queen Anne style building opposite, now occupied by the Citizen's Advice Bureau. King Street was not always a totally commercial area, indeed, Sir Charles Mark Palmer, of Palmers of Jarrow farne, was bom there on 3rd November 1822.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek