South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1

South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   D. Johnson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3004-2
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. This photograph, taken in 1903, shows King Street and Mile End Road corner with the original 'Scotia', This was demolished shortly afterwards to enable Mile End Road to be widened and the new Scotia was built 1903-04 by Henry Grieves, showing an art nouveau influence, despite its Edwardian baroque style. Mile End Road had been the original Sunderland Tumpike Road, and was not given its modern name until1848. The reason for this name caused Miss Flagg some confusion. The suggestion was made that Mile End House, the home of the owner of the land, Sarah Green, was exactly a mile from Sarah's old home in Commercial Road, so Miss Flagg decided that 'it may have been a whimsical title'. Sarah was the eIder daughter of Nicholas Fairles, who was fatally injured at Jarrow Slake, during the miners' strike of 1832, and who owned much land on the Lawe Top.

40. Ocean Road Crossing about 1924. Many of the buildings here are basically as they were then but have changed hands and uses. The one to have seen the most dramatic changes is the Scala Picture Hall, on the left. The building that come to be known as the Scala was opened on 4th February 1891, as the Royal Assembly Hall; by 1920 assembly halls were a thing ofthe past so it was redecorated and opened on 30th September as a luxury cinema. Patrens in later days may be surprised to know that when it opened it had three cafés, a Palm court, and hairdressing rooms for both sexes. By the time the photograph was taken there was also a Scala Billiards Hall. Chief Inspeetor Quinn is talking to the policeman and the point boy beside them is William Hewson, who later rose to be a Senior Inspector.

41. Waterloo Vale looking south from Barrington Street, in 1925. The state of the houses on the left teils its own tale; soon they will be demolished. Already the corner shop on the right is partiaily boarded up. Waterloo Vale is mentioned in the earliest directory of South Shields; White's Directory of 1827. Once the residence of customs officers, it also housed James Lackland's Nautical School. Lackland was an old whaler, crippled by frostbite, and was one of the earliest and best teachers of navigation in the town. John Nevison's Private School was also in Waterloo Vale. Now it. waits in the shadow of the gasworks for the demolition men.

42. Lower Thames Street in 1910. The young mother in the picture probably only has one room for herself, her husband and her growing family. The wash-house in the back yard will be shared by the other families as will the babies crying, the family arguments, the joys, fears and tears of a c1ose-knit community. Large families of six and over were common, but the infant mortality rate was 111 per 1,000 births, Lower Thames Street ran parallel with the river, Parks had been opened in the 1890's but they were some distance away and the house only has the dismal prospect of the dilapidated wall as a view; if anyone had time to look out, that is. The propertîes were not demolished until the 1930's, when the young woman would probably be a grandmother, if she survived.

43. Men outside the Palatine Hotel, Palatine Street in 1920. Despite its venerable appearance, the Palatine Hotel only dates from the 1880's, the first mention of it being in the 1883 directory, when it was managed by Mrs. Ann Burdon. It was by no means unusual for a woman to keep a public house in those days, or for that matter to own a small business. The doors of the pub are firmly c1osed, which puts the time of taking of the photograph as before eleven in the morning or after three in the afternoon as 'Dora', or the defence of the Realm Act passed during the First World War curtailed drinking hours. As well as being a county, Durham was also the Palatine of the Bishop of Durham, that is he exercised certain priveleges over the area and owned quite a lot of the land. Hence the name Palatine Street.

44. Thompson's Hall in the 1890's, which was one of the mansions of the riverside, which were often occupied by Master Mariners in the coal trade between London and the Tyne, This one got its name from Major Thompson, though according to the births notices in the Shields Monthly Mirror for 1819 when his wife had a daughter there, it was called Hili House. As the rich moved away from the riverside, these large buildings ended up as tenements. These run down properties were never the less lucrative investments for their landlords, as it was not untill874 that a Medical Officer of Health was appointed and his efforts to improve housing were great1y hampered by the fact that those living in these slums could not afford to pay for better accommodation.

45. Ocean Road Iooking towards the Pier in the 1920's. Many centuries ago the River Tyne ran along here to the sea. The raad takes its name from the old name for the North Sea, the German Ocean, and has the name German Street on the first Ordnance Survey map of the area, published in 1862. The old workhouse stood on the left, on the site now occupied by the North Marine Park and originally called 'Hungry Hole'. It was closed in 1877. The small café which is just behind the Wou1dhave Memorial was badly damaged during the raid of the night of 2nd October 1941, as was the roof covering of the 'Tyne' Iifeboat and the oid boat itself.

46. Shadwell Street from Corporation Staith in 1913, showing back Military Road. No records exist of the founding of Military Road, but it is thought that the Romans used this as a pathway to their fort on the Lawe Top, and later generations would again use it as access to the fortifications occupying the same site. It was also the scene of an ugly incident between the press gang and local men led by Ralph Peel, husband of Dolly, in 1812, during which firearms were used. In 1838 it was built up, and according to Miss Flagg 'the houses on the north side, two-storied facing the street, clung to the bank like swallow's nests, propped up, particularly in later years, by buildings rising from Shadwell Street, and divided, here and there, by chasm - like 'stairs', amongst them the well-known 'Pilot Stairs'. By 1913 Durham University, the owners of properties in the road, dropped their appeal against closing orders, and demolition gangs moved in.

47. Shadwell Street in 1898, showing Sahnon's Quay with the Pier for Railway Ballast on the right. The tunnel for the old Ballast Railway is in the centre of the picture just below the wall. The Railway was constructed in 1846 and was built to convey Ballast under Military Road to the hills at the Lawe, going across the site of the Roman Fort. The Ballast was hauled up by a stationary engine near Trinity Tewers. These hills were later removed for the laying out of the Marine parks, Salmon's Quay was named after Thomas Salmon, the first town clerk, who was also a loeal historian and a solicitor. He was involved in moves to obtain Parliamentary representation for South Shields, to establish it as a separate customs port, to create a local Marine board, and to establish a pilotage commission, as well as many other schemes for the benefit of the town.

48. The corner of Salmon's Lane in Shadwell Street taken by R. Hodge in 1892. By the 1890's cameras had become cheap enough to be within the means of the lower middle and upper working classes. Hodge was one of the unknowns but his work was copied by Mr. Willits who was a keen amateur photographer and one of the first to cover this quaint area of South Shields, Much of his work is now in the local history library. He was a school board man, that is he used to check on school attendance, and perhaps he got the inspiration to make a record of the old town while he was trying to winkle out unwilling pupils from this rabbit warren of streets, where families would often live in one room.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek