South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1

South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   D. Johnson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3004-2
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. The Pilot Office in Green's Place, about 1890. The origins of the pilot service in the area must go back many centuries, certainly the first written references to the Tyne Pilot Service are in 1539, in the order book of Trinity House. Originally pilotage was confined exclusively to the members of Trinity House of Newcastle and this privilege was confirmed by a charter of Elizabeth I in 1584. The jurisdiction of Trinity House, Newcastle was extended in 1687 from Whitby to Holy Island, and Trinity Brethren and pilots were relieved of the duty of serving on juries, bearing arms, and impressment in the navy. During the 1860's the pilots rebelled against the rule of Trinity House over their working conditions and broke free in 1865. The Pilot Office was bought in 1885 and the building was recently converted into flats.

50. The South End of Thrift Street about 1900 showing the entrance to the Bottle and Jug Department of the 'Marquis of Lome' and a shop described as an 'outfitters' but more probably an old clothes dealer. The 'Bottle and Jug Department' was the old form of 'Off Licence' sales, at one time children could be sent with a porter jug for nanna or granda's pint, but the 1901 Child Messenger Act Limited off-sales to children to one pint in a securely corked or sealed bottle. Curiously enough, there was also a Temperanee Hotel in Thrift Street; these were set up by reformers, often in old pubs, but were rarely successful, mainly because of lack of comfort according to one writer. Thrift Street was originally called, appropriately enough, Commerce Street, as many tradesmen such as anchor smiths, coopers, and butchers lived there but by the time this photograph was taken it was mainly pubs, old clothes shops and lodging houses.

51. Thrift Street about 1910 showing the office of Lawson-Batey Tugs, owners of the Black Diamond line of tugs; the Mentor, Nestor, Plover, Royal Briton, Taliesin, Cruiser, Cornet, Hercules and Ulysses; the steam signals were two long, four short, one long blast. The vessel which was to become the first tug, the 'Tyne Steamboat', was launched from the south shore at Gateshead on 21st February 1814. A failure as a steamboat passenger vessel, she was re-named the 'Perseverance' and in July 1818 commenced a new and more profitable career as a tug. One famous old tug was the 'Harry Clasper' with an organ that was played by the wind and a figurehead in the likeness of Harry Clasper, the famous oarsman.

52. Coverdale's Quay at the back of Shadwell Street about 1900. This is the back view of the old house with the coat of arms above the door, dating back to Henry VIII's time. One of the women in the picture owned a fish curing business nearby; the combined smells of that and the river in summertime must have been unbelievable, At very high tides the lower part of the backyard used to flood, making access to the W.C. hazardous. The first shipyard in South Shields was near here. Robert Wallis defied Newcastle Corporation, bought the site in 1729 and began building; threats and law suits were met with a spirited opposition, which included tipping a Newcastle alderman into the river.

, I . ?

e , ~ ?? -

/ . '. i-

<i ?

53. Pan Ash Quay about 1900, taken from the river, showing Crisp and Hall's Marine Stores, Sanderson's Works, and Dixon's Shipsmiths and Windmill Pump Manufacturers. The name is obviously derived from the salt industry, ashes from the salt pans being dumped here. The pans in question were believed to have been those operating offWapping Street. They were the property of Lewis Frost, one of the leading residents in South Shields in the seventeenth century. It took 50 cwt of coal to produce a ton of salt, an uneconomic proportion which eventually led to the demise of the industry locally.

54. Tyne Doek just before the First World War. This was the first time that rope slings were used to lift a car aboard a ship. The slings were made by James Chalmers, the doek gate-man; one of the many examples of local ingenuity which history books are silent on. On the right is apoliceman, and people may have been lulled into believing that this was a law-abiding era. In fact, 'a dozen fights in progress at the same time in the market place was not unusual' according to the Shields Gazette. Work on the Tyne Doek was begun on 3rd March 1856, and the first vessel to enter the completed doek on 22nd January 1859, was the brig 'Recovery' of South Shields. The formal opening by Lord Ravensworth and the Earl of Carlisle was on 3rd March 1859. The Parish of St. Mary's. Tyne Doek, was formed out of the profits from the sale of the land for the doek, Trow Rocks and the site of the South Pier.

55. One of the many Victory teas which took place in 1919. This one is in Waterloo Vale, and the Mayor and Mayoress, Councillor and Mrs. Sykes, are to be seen on the far left of the table at the bottom of the photograph. The table on the right is graced with two aspidestras, and a lady photographer is taking a shot of the helpers in their pinnies. But there is also a vacant chair at the top table where the Mayor and Mayoress are, perhaps an accidental symbol of all those who would not come back to homes which were not fit for anyone, let alone heroes. MI. R. Buglass, a wine merchant and police superintendent T. Richardson, once lived there, but by 1919 this was a slum area.

56. The tug 'Washington' off Broad Landing in 1910. Perhaps the girls on the right were hoping to find treasure, for in May 1778 as the collier 'John and Mary' was casting her ballast at Cookson's Quay, several silver coins were discovered. Further examination yielded a large number of gold coins of Henry VIII's time. Certainly in {he late 1750's Mr. Burdon had obtained a licence for a Ballast Wharf here, and Broad Landing was enlarged in 1832 in exchange for the giving up by the public of Long Row landing to the Stanhope and Tyne Rail Road Company. Even in 1850 it was one of only four public landings available in South Shields for small boats.

57. The brig 'Ann' of Guernsey which was wrecked on the Groyne during the gale of 8th February 1883. The 'Ann' had sailed from the Tyne with a cargo of coal when she ran into a south-easterly gale and was forced to return for shelter. She broached to in the harbour and went ashore, but the crew were rescued by the lifeboat 'Tom Perry'. On the same day, the 'Vega' of Germany and the 'Janet Izat' were both wrecked on the Herd sands. These were three of the seven ships wrecked locally in that February alone, and a disturbing number of items in the wreek register bear the legend 'never afterwards heard of.

58. The ferry 'Tynemouth' arriving at North Shields about 1900. On Friday 20th August the ferry was taken from this prosaic shuttling to and fro to become one of the boats used for the treat for the poor children and old people of Newcastle. The 'deserving poor' marched in a procession headed by the band of the Wellesley Training Ship, followed at interva1s by the bands of the Newcastle and Gateshead werkhouses. They embarked from Newcastle, got off at the South Pier and the children played on the sands until after five. The event was marred for two lads, who fainted 'probably due to the excitement', 'the strong sea air', and 'a weakly state of body from privation'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek