South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1

South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   D. Johnson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3004-2
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. The lifeboat 'Bedford' at the coble landing. She was built by Lancelot Lambert at his Lawe shipyard. Miss Bedford bequeathed tI ,000 to the Tyne Lifeboat Society trustees for the building of a lifeboat to be named 'Bedford' in memory of her brother who had been an engineer with the Tyne Improvement Commission. The boat was launched on 21st December 1886. She was called out three weeks later, on 11th January 1887, to the assistance of the schooner 'Earl of Musgrove' which had gone ashore on the rocks at Spanish Battery Point. The boathouse at the coble landing was built with the remainder of the money Miss Bedford had donated, and was known as Bedford House until its demolition in 1936.

60. Wood's Quay with the paddle tug 'Ulysses' and twin-crew tug Plover, taken from the Ferry Landing in 1910. Wood's Brewery originally stood here and was supplied with water from the old pit shaft at the Deans. This again stood on the site of the original works of Isaac Cookson, the Alum House from which Alum House Ham derives its name. Wood's Quay was private property and access to it was through an arched passage beside Alum House Ham. Saltwell Lane was near here, the name derived from a saline spring, which was supposed to have been useful in the treatment of sore eyes, At the corner of the lane stood one of the oid riverside mansions, reputedly haunted by an 'ancient lady'.

61. Corporation Quay in 1910. This was originally the Woodfields and Subscription Brewery Quays and formed part of the property taken over with the old Brandling junction line. The Railway Company sold it to the corporation in 1861 and shortly afterwards they developed the area but it never fully realised the expectations of its promoters, probably in consequence of its restricted area. A jetty was built to facilitate a direct service from Mill Dam to London, but this was started and withdrawn in 1866. The Borough Surveyor submitted a plan for a fish market at the Mill Dam in 1867, but the scheme was abandoned and North Shields stepped in.

62. The Mill Dam Gut in 1910, with Harton Colliery staithes to the right. In the centre is a boat from which is being loaded potatoes and the horse and cart wait on the left for the sacks. A steam crane used to run further to the left. The Mill Dam was the last remains of the Mill Dam Creek. This had been the entrance to one of the mouths of the River Tyne and up to the 1750's it still filled with water from the Tyne at high tide. It had also been called the River Branin. This had been largely filled in as relief work for the unemployed after the Napoleonic wars but the gut was not filled up till the 1930's.

63. The Mill Dam ferry landing about 1900, showing the floating landing for ferry boats running to Newcastle and intermediate stations which was established in 1862. This was probably taken from the ferry itse1f as there is a certain amount of 'camera wobble' but the Mill Dam Customs House can be seen behind the landing stage. The building, designed by the then Borough Surveyor, Mr. Thomas Clemence, cost f.3,000 to build. It was opened on July 23rd, 1864, and represented much to the new borough as at last it could have a share in the river trade previously monopolised by Newcastle. It fell into disuse but the building is still with use and is being renovated by the local Arts and Live Musk Association, the price ofthe original building being one percent of the renovation costs.

64. As South Shields had raised both money to supply tanks and soldiers to man them, at the end of the First World War the Council was offered a tank and accepted. A redundant tank was fixed in position in an enelosure at the Lawe on 18th June 1919. It stands beside another wartirne souvenir, one of the Sebastepol guns, on the far left of the photograph behind the man in his shirt sleeves. Also to the left is one of the beacons, with the groyne to its right. The fust Lawe beacons, two poles with triangles on top, were put in position about 1800, and the present brick pillars which you see in the photograph, date from 1832. John Turnbull charged E60 for the two.

65. The old RedweIl Lane in the late 1920's, showing the bridge for the Marsden Railway. RedweIl Lane is marked on the first Ordnance Survey map of the area (1858), and seems to have been just a rough wad from RedweIl Pond to Marsden Bay, passing on the north side of the original Marsden Inn. By 1936 the Co ast Road was completed, the Marsden Inn had moved house to a spot on Lizard Lane parallel with the Grotto, and there was a holiday camp on the right hand side of where this photograph was taken. RedweIl Pond and Farding Lake are now fading memories, but locals and tourists still make their way down the steep steps to Marsden Bay.

66. Where West Holbom merged into East Holbom about 1900. The old hall in West Holborn, once a mansion owned by a wealthy shipowner, was by this time let out into tenements and partially occupied by a public house. The house had a strange reputation; on one of the grand mantelpieces were the marks of two bloody fingers and a thumb. No amount of old fashioned elbow grease or new chemica! cleaner could eradicate them. One person who tried was visited by the ghost of a tall handsome lady in white, with a scarlet waistband, who glided from a closed door to the window. Beetles and other vermin such as infest graves were hooked up out of the window seat by her family. They also saw the ghost of a soldier on the landing at the head of the stairs.

67. The lodge of Salmon's Hall. Thomas Salrnon, first town clerk of South Shields, also gave his name to Salrnon's Quay and Salmon's Ballast HilI. The hall and the lodge, now gone, stood near Manhaven, an inlet in the coast between Frenchman's Bay and Marsden Bay. The hall hadoriginally been called Marsden Cottage, and must have been quite old for on 30th December 1809, Mr. William Barrass of that address came of age, and 'Sumptuous entertainments were given to the tenants of South Shields and Gateshead'. Thomas Salmon had a coble which lay in Manhaven, and which he used frequently, and in the winter of 1884-85, John Salmon wrote a book on this ancient type of boat, which contains practical items as weil as anecdotes.

68. Marsden Grotto Ballroom in the 1920's. The person who really put the Grotto on the map was Peter Allen, who followed in Jack the Blaster's footsteps and despite opposition from the excise men, made the Marine Grotto a public house and putting his experience as a foreman in a nearby stone quarry to good use, extended the caves under the rocks. The Ballroom had been excavated by 1848, complete with the carved heads, At first it was left open to the wind and weather but by 1875 the floor and orchestra had been constructed from portions of wrecks, The door was cut out of a ship's rudder and thickly studded with ship's nails, while the heavy iron ring of an anchor served as a knocker.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek