South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1

South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   D. Johnson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3004-2
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'South Shields in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. Marsden Rock in 1896, though the earlier map-makers called it Marsden. The steps to the top of the rock are clearly shown on the far 1eft, and in 1903 combined choirs made the aseent for a religious choral service. It was also a popular place for miner's games of Pitch and Toss and various other gambling activities. The Velvet Beds and Came1's !sland are to the north-west of Marsden Rock. Near Camel's Island there are the remains of an oid quay. Miss Flagg was of the opinion that this was a Roman Quay but as no research has been carried out on this it must remain something of a mystery. The remains can still be seen at a low tide.

70. Marsden Grotto about 1896. The steps down to it can just be seen on the top right hand corner of the photograph. The earliest mention of what is probably Marsden was in 1215, when the men of Harton, Westoe and Whitburn pillaged the wreek of the King's ship 'Falcon'. The first documented entry giving the name Marsden Rocks is in 1775, and records a sham battle between two groups of young men from North Shields. In 1782 an old miner from Allen Heads, popularly known as Jack the Blaster, made his horne in the caverns, He and his wife arranged refreshments for the visitors who were attracted to the spot. By 1834 a cottage had been built there and steps have been cut in the rock to make it easier for visitors.

71. Coming back from Trow Rocks in the 1920's. To the right is what is now Ladies Bay but was shown as Graham's Sand on the 1855 Ordnance Survey map. Jacob's Weil and the Fairies Kettle are also shown between this and Frenchman's Bay, Mr. Wallis of Westoe wrote down the story of the Fairies Kettle which was actually a circular hoilow in a large cave which was only accessible at low tide. Legend has it that it once contained a golden cup and after a hazardous adventure a young man gained possession of it and brought it to the chapel of St. Lawrence at Westoe. After consideration, the priest took it to Durham and gave it to the shrine of St. Cuthbert. The Tyne Commissioners had undertaken to preserve the famous cave but a heavy fall or rock, partly due to heavy quarrying nearby, destroyed it completely.

72. The Nest, the old thatched cottage near Trow Quarry as it was in 1909. The cottage was the home of the first on site foreman for the building of the South Pier. There were quite a number of these cottages put up by the werkers, as when they came here in the 1850's, there were few building regulations and no Medical Officer of Health, These must not be confused, however, with the rows of buildings called the Bents Cottages, which were built for the pitmen working at Westoe Colliery. The Nest was quite close to the old borough boundary stone which was to the south of the road running from the Broadway down to the Trow Car Park.

.?.. ~G.

,

;., u,

73. Bents House, about 1900. The original house was built in the early eighteenth century as a homestead for Bents Farm, but the Bents House known to older readers was built on this site in the latter part of the eighteenth century by John Hili (who was a member of St. Hilda's Four and Twenty from 1758-1795) after the plan of an Italian villa. It was built for MI. Carlen, the descendant of a Flyingdale (Yorkshire) family who settled at Westoe. His daughter married into the Heath family who were at one time very influentiallocally. There had been a footpath on the west side of the house until about 1840 when it was closed to keep the grounds of the house more select and quieto Today the coal washer of Westoe Colliery stands on the site.

74. The Mill Dam in the twenties. By this time it had become traditional for sailors to hang around here waiting for someone to sign them on for a ship. The policeman plays a necessary part here; there were riots in 1919 and later in 1930, mainly caused by rivalry due to shortage of work. The imposing building in the far centre was originally the local customs house. The foundation stone was laid on 27th August 1863 and the building was opened on 18th July 1864, both events marked by great cerernony typical of the day. The Tyne Commissioners made a joumey down the river in state barges to take part in the proceedings at the opening. After many changes in use, it is now being re-opened as the centre for the local Arts and Live Music Association.

75. The South Marine Park about 1890, giving a view of the Wouldhave Memorial, slightly to the left of centre, the Groyne on the far left, and Tynemouth on the horizon. The Groyne, with a warning bell and light, was built in 1882, and the Wouldhave Memorial was unveiled in June 1890, at the sarne time as the Marine Parks were opened. The memorial was originally supposed to have been a commemoration of Queen Victoria's Jubilee, but judging by the tone of the letters to the Gazette, the public was much more concerned that it gave prominenee to the efforts of Wouldhave and Greathead than the Jubilee. The memorial was designed by J.H. Morton, a prominent local architect, who used Hebburn stone for the whole design.

?

76. The old baths and wash-houses near Cuthbert Street, which were built in 1854 and demolished in 1906 when Derby Street Baths were built. The local council must have been quite enlightened to have built public baths so early, and in what was to be such a densely populated area. The first Ordnance Survey map of the town shows that the next houses to the south-east were those of Westoe Village, and nothing at all due east between the baths and Trow Sands. A weU and a water works stand close by, with a sandstone quarry and Laygate Mill, which ground corn, to the south. To the north, however, stood the St. Hilda Pit and to the west and farther north the busy riverside. By the time the building was demolished the farmer's fjelds to the east had for the most part gone.

77. The oid pond in Harton Village Iooking north, in 1908. Harton was a separate village with its own parish council until Lst November 1901. The site of the present Harton Village is slightly north of the older

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek