Southend-on-Sea in old picture postcards

Southend-on-Sea in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Stephen Pewsey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6195-4
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Southend-on-Sea in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  14  |  15  |  >  |  >>

1 09 Clifftown Parade, 1906.

This was later the site for the town war memorial.

ROUND BEO AND FLAGSTAFF. W

1 1 0 Clifftown Parade, 1906.

As we pass the wooden bandstand, which was to be replaced by an ornate cast-iron bandstand in 1908, we note the bath-ehair drawn up outside the shelter on the right. A lady's bicycle is casually propped against the kerb.

1 1 1 Clifftown Parade, 1919.

We have now passed the bandstand, and look back along Clifftown Parade from Clifton Terrace. Devereux Road is on the right, with Cam bridge Terrace beyond, and the pleasant Cliffs walks can be seen on the left.

112 CliffWalks, 1906.

Many of these pathways were laidoutinthe 1870s.

Gliff W:alks, SQuthend - on - ;Sea. . ~;.

113 Royal Terrace.

This handsome parade, now one of Southend's architectural jewels, was first laid out in 1 792 as part of the original 'New South End', which included the Royal Hotel. Famous visitors to Royal Terrace included Princess Caroline (the wife of the Prince Regent) in 1804, and Emma Hamilton, Nelsoa's mistress, in 1805. In a fameus case of its day, it was alleged that Princess Caroline had an affair with a naval allieer whilst staying at the terrace, an allegation that was unproven. It was from her visit that the Royal Hotel and Royal Terrace received their appellation 'Royal'.

114 The Shrubbery, 1915.

The Shrubbery was laid out as a series of shady CliffWalks in 1 793. Privately owned until 1883, it was originally reserved for 'gentry' , with a gatekeeper empowered to expel 'improper persons' . For many years there was a charge of 2d to enter, and it was well-known as a haunt for courting couples.

115 PierHill.1913.

The statue of Queen Victoria commands Pier Hill, with the Royal Hotel beyond. The Royal Hotel Stores public house stands on the right, on the site of the Royal Library, and a small amusement arcade is advertising hoop-la, as weIl as 'Animations', perhaps an early farm of cinema. The Queen's statue was moved in 1969 to a new spot on Clifftown Parade.

11 6 High Street about 1890.

This is one of the earliest photographs of the High Street. The Royal Hotel is on the left and on the right is Prospect House. Built in 1826, this was the house of Dr. George Deeping, alocal physician, who adapted it as Southend's first dispensary and surgery. His son, Warwick Deeping (1877 -1950) was Southend's most famous novelist; three ofhis best-selling tales were set in Southend.

117 High Street 1905.

Prospect House has become the Royal Oyster Saloon ('Basket of 25 Selected Oysters 2/-'), while further along, a large banner advertises Tipper's Hotel.

11 8 High Street about 1905.

A similar view to that in the previous postcard. Kent's Fruit Stores is on the right, while beyond, aflag pramotes Cotgrave restaurant's 'Hot Fish Dinners and Suppers'. Across the raad, there are advertisements for a waxworks exhibition; one says: 'See The Freaks!'

I"'GH STREET SOUTHE 00 SEA

<<  |  <  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  14  |  15  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek