Southend-on-Sea in old picture postcards

Southend-on-Sea in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Stephen Pewsey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6195-4
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Southend-on-Sea in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  14  |  15  |  >  |  >>

119 High Street Christmas Decorations about 1910.

This was the splendid sight which greeted the shopper and visitor in Southend High Street as the Edwardian era came to a dose. Clifftown Road is on the left by the 'Heartiest Greetings' sign, beyond which lies the railway bridge carrying the line to Shoeburyness, opened in 1884.

120 High Street.

This postcard is undated, but shows the upper part of the High Street formerly known as Broadway. Garen's Café is on the left, with the masonic hall a little way further up. This later became Garen's cinema. Body's pharmacy is two doors on, while Keddie's store, first opened in 1 892, stands opposite. There is na sign of Dixon's on the corner of the High Street; JE Dixon established his Southend drapery store in 1 91 3.

HIGH STftIeET. SOUTHENo.ON.Sf:A..

CO ?. .,RJCHT NO. U~

1 2 1 Victoria Avenue, 1912.

This braad tree-lined street was laid out in the 1880s, and lined with substantial villas. A site on Victoria Avenue was reserved for a new civic centre - the town hall was originally a cramped building in Alexandra Street - as early as 1920. Work was appraved in 1928, only to be interrupted by the war, then resumed in

1 956 with a modernist design. Construction began in 1960, and the building was finally opened in 196 7. Victoria Avenue was widened to

a dual carriageway in 1969, and the large private houses were replaced with office bleeks,

122 Prittlewell Village, 1906.

By this date, Southend had long outgrown its mother parish of Prittlewell, which nevertheless retained much of its village-like atmosphere. Victoria Avenue had been laid out a few year's after Southend's Local Board took over administration ofPrittlewen in 1877. The village pump can just be seen in front of the cottage on the right. The bridge crosses the Prittle Brook.

'" OLD PUMP ANO BRIOGE-PRITTLEWELL

123 PrittlewellVillage, 1910.

The Village, Prittlewell, Southend-on-Sea.

The same area as the previous posteard, but looking southward. St. Mary's Chureh ean be seen at the top of the hill, Ta the right is the Earl's Hall estate, while land on the left would eventually beeome Priory Park.

124 The Strand, Southchurch,

This area is the heart of Southchurch, and is lined with little shops, though these are out of view in this postcard which looks west towards Southend. The awning of the post office can be seen on the extreme right, next to the Salvation Army citadel, which opened in 1907. Note the tramway in the raad; the service from the MiddJeton in Southend to the White Horse commeneed on 19th July 1901. Across the raad, the trees in the garden of'The aaks' can be seen. This house, demolished in 1958, was reputedly haunted.

12 5 The Oid Post Office. Southchurch.

This stood at what is now the junction of Southchurch Raad and Lifstan Way; the site was later occupied by slipper baths (now offices). Southchurch had been incorporated into Southend in 1897, the first of the surrounding villages to be swallowed up by the burgeoning borough. There was intense local opposition to the 'takeover' .

VL;lJ I"'OST OFFICE. SOUTHE D-ON-SEA.

126 Thorpe Bay Gardens.

Thorpe Bay was originally part of the parish of Southchurch, but began to develop a separate identity as a highclass residential suburb after

1 91 1 , when the station was opened. Thorpe Bay Gardens farms part of the Burges estate, largely developed during the Edwardian periad. Prestigious houses line the quiet street in this view.

127 TrarnvvarinThorpe Bar, 1929.

Plans for a tramwayextension from the White Horse through Thorpe Bay were at first thwarted by Colonel Burges, then building his estare there, but work finally began in 1911 . The section along Southchurch Boulevard was opened in [uly 1913, and the Thorpe Hall Avenue section opened in Iuly 1914, as war clouds gathered over Europe.

128 Tramway in Thorpe Hall Avenue, 1929.

Thorpe Bay Golf Course is on the right. Thorpe Bay takes its name from Thorpe, the ancient manor house which now serves as the golf clubhouse. Thorpe Bay residents had feared the introduetion of a tram service from Southend would bring the hoi-pollei into their midst, so the scheme was only approved subject to the tramways being screened from sight by trees and shrubs. A various of evergreens and deciduous trees were planted, including privet, copper beech, laurel, cherry, laburnum and holly. In addition. the 6d. circular tours running from the Kursaal

along the Thorpe Bay route Eastern Esplanade, Thorpe Hall Avenue, Southchurch Boulevard, Southchurch Road and Southchurch Avenue had to be non-stopping!

<<  |  <  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  14  |  15  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek