Southend-on-Sea in old picture postcards

Southend-on-Sea in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Stephen Pewsey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6195-4
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Southend-on-Sea in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  14  |  15  |  >  |  >>

1 29 Carnpfield Road, Shoeburyness.

An early motor-omnibus sends up clouds of dust as it passes the tents of the garrison. Shoeburyness became an Urban District in 1894, but was incorporated into Southend in 1933, together with Eastwood.

1 30 Greetings from Shoeburyness,

This joHy eard for the Shoebury tourist shows bath East and South Beaehes, South Shoebury Chureh, 'Central Raad' with squaddies on guard duty, and by way of history, 'The Old Red House' in Wakering Raad.

1 3 1 High Street, Shoeburyness.

Chapman's grocery store is on our left, and the Shoeburyness tavern and the barracks gates lie in the distance, marking the end of our tour ofSouthend streets.

132 London, Tilbury & Southend Railway locometive No. 38, Wèstcliff.

The opening of the LTSR in 1856 revolutionised access to Southend, particularly for the residents of East London, as fares were set deliberately low to attract a mass audience, This, tag ether with the Bank Holidays Act of 1871, which gave working people the

chance to take holidays, was the main impetus towards Southend's change from a select watering-place to a cheap and cheerful holiday resort, the 'Cockney Playground'. The early LTS locos were given names of various places on the railway route; on the left picture we see Westcliff, a 4-42 tank engine built in 1897, and still in service until well after the war.

133 Londen, Tilbury & Southend Railway Iocometive No, 43, Grent !Hord.

the destination! Like Westcliff, Groot Ilford remained in service until1951.

This 4-4- 2 tank engine was built in 1898 by Dübs. Note the destination board on the front (right picture), said in jest to have been introduced because so many short-sighted little old Iadies hurrying for a train assumed the locomotive name on the side was

134 Londen, Tilbury & Southend Railway locometive No. 53, Stepney Green.

Built in 1900, these sturdy little engines were known as 'Tilbury Universal Machines', as they were versatile enough

to haul bath freight and passengers. The LTSR at first ran to Southend via Tilbury, but in 1888, the shorter route via Upminster was completed, knocking 8 miles and several minutes offthe journey time.

135. London, Tilbury and Southend Railway locomotive No. 21 0 1.

In 1 91 2, the Midland Railway absorbed the LTSR, and this engine was one of the first to be built under the new re-

gime. Built by Beyer Peacock in 1912, they were designed by R.H. Whitelegg, who was responsible for what was for Britain a revolutionary design, the 4-6-4 Baltic tank. This loco was scrapped in 1929.

1 36 Westcliff Station, 1907.

This station was opened in 1894 at the foot of Hamlet Court Raad, and led to largescale housing development in the area. On the left, the Gothic towers of the Queen's Hotel can be seen. This grand Victorian pile was dernolished in the 1980s.

Rail way Station & Queen's Rote, Westcliff - on - S-ea.

137 Char-à-banc outing,

In 1 925 the Arterial Road between London and Southend was completed, making raad access as easy as rail access; the char-à-banc then came into its own, as did the capacious road-side inns built along the route oftheArterial; the HaJfway House, Fortune of War and Weir taverns, and others, did a raaring trade, and sorne of the more exuberant dav-trippers never gat nearer Southend than these hospitable taverns! This particular outing was an altogether respectable affair, however. Taken about 192 5, it depiets Reverend WA. Limbrick of Epping Upland Church, down for the day with bis bell-ring-

ing team. Note the solid tyres, which made every bump in the road bone-jarringly obvious.

138 M.S. Britannia. The striking thing is the large number of jetties and moorings, crowded with ships plying for trade. Little pleasure boats were crammed to the gunwhales with visitors wanting a sea-cruise, or at least, a quick trip round the Pier.

139 M.S. New Prince of Wales. Another heavily laden vessel set off for a spin round the estuary. The New Prince of Wales flies the flag of the General

Steamship Navigation Company.

140 M. V. Royal Sovereign. This much-loved vessel used to ply across to Margate, Clacton and the Continent every summer season from 1948, and was still chugging back and forth to its berth at the end of the Pier until the late 1960s.

141 Single-deck Tramcar in Thorpe Bay.

Char-à-banc excursions into the surrounding countryside were a popular diversion for Southend holidaymakers, but for those unable to afford

such trips, a 6d ride round the tree-lined boulevards of Thorpe Bay was nearly as good. Here we see Car No. 42, which began work in 1914, and remained in service until 1939. The postmark date of this postcard is 1 926.

142 Double-deck Tramcar in Thorpe Bay.

vide a veritably sylvan scene for the passenger. Tram services ceased in 1942, but trolley buses carried on until 1 954.

This view from the 1930s show how quickly the trees planted along the boulevards of Southchurch and Thorpe Bay became a screen to pro-

143 Shoebury Barracks,

This volume concludes with a brief review of Southend's role in war. The Gunnery School opened at Shoeburyness in 1859, contributed enormously to the improvement of British artillery pro-

cedure. The presence of the barracks was the main reason for the extension of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway in 1884; the barracks already had its own military railway within the garrison perimeter.

144 Terrace Barracks, Shoeburyness,

This rare postcard provides us with a view inside the barracks. Southend suffered from numerous Zeppelin raids during the First World War, which kept the Shoebury

gunners busy. The airship LI 5 was shot down over the Thames estuary in March 1916, in full view of cheering Southend crowds. 1,338 Southenders lost their lives in the First World War.

The Terrace "Barrèlcks. Shoeburyncss.

<<  |  <  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  14  |  15  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek