Southend-on-Sea in old picture postcards

Southend-on-Sea in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Stephen Pewsey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6195-4
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Southend-on-Sea in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  >  |  >>

79 The Hope Hotel.

One of the oldest inns on the seafront. Built in 1791, it was originally 'Capon's Coffee House and Hotel', changing its name to the Hope in 1798.

80 The Esplanade.

This began life as a restaurant with an attached shed-Iike structure called The Shades, where beer was served. In this photograph, various amusements are associated with the restaurant, including a shooting range and jockey scales.

81 The HotelVictoria.

This town centre landmark was built in the late 1880s, and its ornate façade was familiar to generations of Southenders and visitors alike, until it was swept away as part of the town centre's redevelopment in the 1970s. The top end of the High Street was known throughout the Edwardian period as Broadway.

82 The Shoeburyness Hotel.

Standing adjacent to the entrance to Horseshoe Barracks at the end of Shoeburyness High Street. The Shoeburyness has had a long association with boxing. Shoeburyness's other historie tavern is the Cambridge Hotel, named after the Duke of Cambridge (1819-1904). who was Commander-in-Chief of the Army when the School of Gunnery was first established at Shoebury.

83 Southend Technical College.

This imposing edifice stood at Victoria Circus in the heart of Southend. Opened in 1902

by Countess 'Daisy' Warwick, it was extended in 1905. At fITSt accommodating the Southend Day Technical School, the first component of what was later to become the municipal college was the School of Art, opened in 1908, with a 'Junior Art Trade Department' opening in

1918. A new site near the Civie Centre was completed in the 1960s, and this original building was demolished in the 1970s. The site is now oecupied by a car park.

- &Jiiîk, .. -

(S0tltlJ.end-:!H1.-Sea)

84 Southend High School forBoys.

This school began life as the Southend DayTechnical School in 1 895, a co-educational secondary school with premises in Clarence Raad. Theschoolmovedtathe Technical College after it opened in 1902, and the girl's school split off in 1 91 3; the remaining boys then formed Southend High School for Boys. A new building on a grand scale was built in 1 939 in Prittlewell Chase, seen here on a snowy day.

85 Garon's.

Though best known as a seaside resort, Southend is also an important shopping eentre. Many of Southend's Victorian and Edwardian civic fathers were prominent tradesmen, who founded dynasties still prominent in town life today. Henry Garon established his first shop at 64 High Street in 1885, and his first café in 1890. The business expanded rapidly, and in 1 950, there were nearly fifty shops, ten restaurants, a bakery, a cinema and a hotel in the Garen's empire. This rare postcard shows a striking display of meat; onlookers are uncertain whether to stare at the camera or the display:

H. GllR0N'S XM1S SH0W, 1905.

86 Heddle's.

William Heddle founded his drapery business in 1 873 in Park Street, and died aged 101 in 1948. His son ]ames Heddle and grandson Maurice Heddle continued the trade, and, like William, spent much of their lives involved in Southend's civic life. William Heddle, a Scat, was for many years leader of the Peculiar People, an Essex-based evangelical denominanon. This photograph dates from 1914.

87 May's and Dowsett's.

These shops stood in Alexandra Street in the 1890s, which was originally Southend's main shopping thoroughfare. Thomas Dowsett was very much involved in public life; his gift of Southchurch Hall and Gardens to the borough saved it from housing development and Dowsett High School for Girls bore his name for many years, though it has disappeared as aresult of recent re-organisation.

88 OvercliffHotel.

The hotel trade was also an important part of the tewn's business and, particularly in Westcliff, there were numerous large and well-appointed hotels. As the holiday trade has changed since the war, many have disappeared, notably the Queen's, which stood in Hamlet Court Road, and this building, the Overcliff, with its splendidly ornate cast-iron balconies. Pulled down in the 1950s, it offered in 1935 'terms from 4 gns. per week, 15/- daily'.

<<  |  <  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek