Southsea in old picture postcards

Southsea in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   A.W. McAvery
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3108-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Southsea in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. This second view of Kings Road gives a clearer picture of the Bush Hotel which was built on the site of a market garden in the 1800s. It stood on the corner of Castle Road with Kings Road (former1y known as Wish Lane) and around 1861 extensive building works were carried out on its frontage. Later in 1881 the Baptist Chapel was erected but this building was destroyed during the Second World War. Today the street scene is completely different, gone are the hotel and church and many of the shops and in their places are residential homes. In point of fact there is a block of flats on the corner of Castle Road roughlyon the original site of the Bush Hotel bearing the name 'Bush House' thus retaining links with the history of the site.

50. If one wished to purchase a hat for a special occasion then it is highly probably that you would call in at Madame Martyn-Smith who owned a millinery business at No. 2, 3 and 5 Elm Buildings shown in this picture on the south side of the raad on the corner of Elm Grove with Grove Raad South. Diagonally opposite on the north side of the raad on the corner of Grove Raad North is Webb's who ran a stationers shop. Present day this is a busy crossroads with traffic lights controlling the many vehicles which pass up and down its length. It is interesting to note that the building now occupied by British Telecom and known as Telephone House was once known as Grove Buildings and had many uses up through the early 1900s not least ofwhich was a house furnishers and a cycle corporation in 1910 owned by Wallace Ash.

51. This earlier picture of Elm Grove taken around 1903 shows the many trees along both sides of this busy road. It is sad that in the overall design of things it was not possible to retain them as it would have enhanced this road enormously. The gentleman with the beard and the lady with the large hat in this photograph are standing outside of No. 4 Elm Grove which at the time of this picture was occupied by Mr Harry Gordon Chase a photographer and just along the road from hirn to the west on the corner of Grove Road North was the Wiltshire and Dorset Bank Limited. On the opposite side of the road was the local post office identifiabIe by the large ornamentallarnps. The post office itself is still there today although the lamps have since been removed.

52. This magnificent church designed by Thomas Ellis Owen at a cost of ;[5,000 was built in 1851. It stands on the corner of Kent Road opposite Palmerston Road and has, since it was built, greatly enhanced the area with its many stained glass windows and clock tower. This view taken in 1905 shows the main entrance to the church building which is in Kent Road and the small road to the left of the picture is Queens Grove. Various additions have been made to the original building not least of which was a new Vestry built in 1897 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Jubilee. As controversy currently reigns over whether or not this church should be demolished in parts or totally it is of paramount importance that it be included in any look at Southsea and its main features as it has always played such an important part in the street scene.

53. Marmion Road is situatedjust around the corner from Palmerston Road and opposite St Jude's Church which we can see here Iocming like a large ghost in the middle of this picture. Staying on its southern side and having just walked past the Long's pub on the corner you would come to a well-known butcher's shop. Edward George McCreary had premises at 32, 34 and 36 Marmion Road and his reputation was so good that he supplied many of the hotels and restaurants in Southsea with fresh fish and poultry. Today, however, a much different sight would befall you as this part of Marrnion Road has been demolished and a large supermarket and carpark have been erected in their place, Thankfully many of the shops on the northern side of the road have been retained and are still primarily in retail use.

54. I wonder which category of road tax this peculiar looking mode of transport would fall under today? This threewheeled delivery van is being driven by a boy who worked for A. Cullis who had a butcher's shop on the north side of Marmion Road. Cullis' shop was at No. 37 Marmion Road and on either side were dining rooms at No. 35 and an engraver's shop run by Edmund Foster at No. 39. A. Cullis had gone out of business by 1929 but the shop premises were still run as a butchers beyond this date trading under the name of Ye Old Farm Shoppe. It is interesting to note that immediately opposite Cullis were the premises of George McCreary who had a very successful poultry and fish business in Marmion Road and perhaps it was the strong competition which meant Mr Cullis giving up his business.

55. There would be few people today who would not know the whereabouts of Knight & Lee, one of Southsea's two large department stores but I wonder just how many of those people would know its originallocation in Palmerston Road. This view of Knight & Lee taken in 1912 shows its original position at 25-35 Palmerston Road on the corner of Stanley Lane. Today this department store is situated further along Palmerston Road where it meets with Clarendon Road and is directly opposite another large department store known as Handleys. The reason for Knight & Lee's move along the raad was brought about by bombing during the Second World War and these original premises are now occupied by such well-known companies as Woolworth and Boots the Chemist.

56. Affectionately known as 'Handleys Corner' this large department store has stood on its originallocation on the corner of Osborne Road with Palmerston Road since George Handley opened his store in 1869. As Southsea grew so did Handleys taking on extra staff and increasing the size of its premises until it became the first class department store most people know today. In the earlier days it boasted that it sold almost anything and in fact to be found on the premises were alending library, post office, writing room, restaurant, roof garden and even at one time a zoo. On the opposite corner in this view is the National Provincial Bank but this site was later taken over by Knight & Lee in 1959 as mentioned in the last view numbered 55.

57. Turning the corner and walking down the northern side of Handleys department store one comes across the smaller shops in Osborne Road. The two ladies taking shelter under the sun canopy are standing outside a hairdressing shop trading in the early 1900s as Samuel Leonard Koenig. Notice the shopkeeper nextdoor is pulling down the blind to proteet his merchandise from the afternoon sunshine. The two ladies in the foreground may possibly have ju st left the shop of The London and Paris Glove Company having made a purchase of a pair of gloves or a hat for a special occasion. On the far right of the picture you can see a lamp-post with an advertisement incorporated into it which proclaims 'Wrights', this was a purely masculine shop as it sold 'Peat Reek' mixture for pipes specially imported by the proprietor Alexander M. Wright who was a Scot trading as a tobacconist at No. 51 Osborne Road.

58. Our two la dies from the previous view of Osborne Road have now progressed westwards along the north side of the road and have just passed the Hotel Westminster which stood on the corner of Shaftesbury Road. In 1905 its registered proprietress was a Miss V. Edwards and she advertised her hotel as being 'Ternperance'. One may assurne that in keeping with the vogue of the times and the anti-drinks lobby that nothing stronger than cocoa was served as an after dinner beverage! It is interesting to see the milkman tuming into Shaftesbury Road with his handcart and milk churns - perhaps he is just about to call at the Hotel Westminster. I have been told that the abundance of bunting and flags in this and the previous view of Osborne Road are to celebrate the visit of the French Fleet on l Oth August 1905.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek