Southsea in old picture postcards

Southsea in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   A.W. McAvery
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3108-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Southsea in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. The Ashburton Road of today is very little changed from the one shown in this view looking northwards from Osborne Road. However, the residential homes which once housed the popular large Victorian family have now become multi-occupied and more readily part of Southsea's 'bedsitter' land. During the 1900s many of these houses were let for summer holidays or advertised apartments to rent for the season. The lady dressed in black and emerging from the house on the right is obviously about to go on a journey, perhaps herself returning home after a holiday at the seaside as she is preceded by a man carrying her luggage out to the horse-drawn carriage, It is in fact remembered by some of the older inhabitants of the area that No. 2 Ashburton Road was the Christ Church Sunday School and was still in existance up to the 1930s.

60. Fawcett Road (known many years ago as Lazy Lane and for the most part farmland until it was taken for construction) is a long road which halfway down its length bends to the east. It runs north to south from Fratton Bridge to Albert Road and this particular view is taken looking northwards to the railway bridge at Fratton. On the left hand side we can see a large building with a domed top which was the Portsmouth Council Girls Secondary School and Winchester Diocesan Deaconess' Home. Roughly opposite the covered waggon is a smal! passageway known as Manners Lane which is still in existance today and walking southwards the next road you cross is Percy Road. Many of the residential houses now have shop fronts although there are still smal! blocks of houses intermingled with the retail uses which mainly make up the road today.

61. How many times have you heard your older friends or relatives say that they could go to the 'flicks', buy a bag of sweets and still have change from a tanner. The Southsea Electric Theatre was one of many such cinemas built at the outset of the silent movie era. As the film industry progressed from the silent screen to the talkies the cinema in Fawcett Road changed hands and its name. It has also been known as the Fawcett Picture House, Commodore Theatre and finally the State Cinema when it was closed down through lack of support. Whilst trading as the Southsea Electric Theatre it advertised itself as being cool in summer and cosy in winter and that it had continuous daily performances from 2 p.m. to 10.15 p.m. The hoardings used to invite you inside to watch your favorite silent movie actors and actresses to the strains of the best orchestra in town.

62. Baileys Road runs between Victoria Road North and 104 Somers Road west to east. It is typical of the smaller Victorian terraeed houses which one finds in the heart of Southsea. Large families were crammed into two or three bedroomed properties with flat fronts and doors that opened straight onto the street. A familiar sight, so I have been told, were the ladies of the households down on their hands and knees scrubbing steps all in a row. Here we have a group of children who seem to have donned their Sunday best for the camera although some of the children's attention is wandering to the horse and cart coming along the other side of the road. Like many of the residential roads it had a few corner shops selling groceries and provisions and also its own dairy. In Baileys Road the dairy was at No. 32 run by Short & Sons in the early 1900s.

63. This picture also shows the other side of Southsea, gone are the large detached elegant town houses and in their place are the much smaller family homes which are to be found in abundance off the Sea Front. This view has been taken looking down Delamare Road frorn Francis Avenue (former1y known as Beach Farm Road but having had its name changed between 1904 and 1909). Like Baileys Road Delamare Road had its own small dairy at No. 7 owned by A. Joslin and Sons and possibly the milk cart to the left of the picture belonged to that company. One special feature which can just be seen in the background to the right is a large golden eagle which was on the top of a public house standing on the corner of this road with Fawcett Road and known as the Eagle Hotel. The eagle, I am glad to say, is still there surveying all before him.

64. Most people will have visited The Kings Theatre at some time in their lives - possibly to see the armual pantomime or to watch a London play. The Kings has played a very important role in the cultural life of Southsea since it was opened on 30th September 1907 and still remains today a prominently attractive feature on the corner of Exmouth Road and the beginning of Albert Road. Between the Kings Theatre building and the church further down the road was built in the 1920s the Apollo Kinematic Theatre and recently whilst workmen were demolishing the cinema they uneovered the fascia of the old Methodist Chapel (Southsea Central Hall). lt would appear that as the cinematic business expanded into 'talkies' the Apollo Cinema outgrew its original premises at No. 42 Albert Road and took over the few shops to its right and the Church buildings to its left.

65. Bread had become so expensive at the close of the eighteenth century for the poor that Portsmouth Doekyard Shipwrights built their own milI. The original mill was located alongside the Royal Naval Doekyard but sadly the land was reclaimed around 1816 and the mill had to cease production. Thus the Shipwrights formed the Doekyard Co-operative Mill Society and constructed their own windmill just off Albert Road near to Napier Road and did so well that they were able to run their own commercial bakery. The large black windmill was fondly referred to as Dock Mill and stood one hundred feet high and measured forty feet across its base. It was said to have been the largest of its kind in England. One million bricks were used in its construction and they were supplied by the Arrny Board of Ordnance.

66. The Doekyard Mill Society was disbanded in 1834 beeause of the prohibitive increase in wages and various owners subsequently ran it. For sorne ten years it stood derelict until it was purchased in 1869 by M. Welch and Sans, Millers and Corn Merchants. By 1905 the large sails had revolved for the last time as it had been turned over to steam-driven machinery. This particular view is taken probably from Napier Raad around 1907 and the mill continued in operation until around 1922 when it failed to be sold by auction. Eventually the mill itself was demolished in 1923 although the adjoining Mill Cottages were saved from this fate and have been renovated and are now a modern showpiece of what ean be done to utilise older housing stock. If one looks closely at the brickwork of the Mill Cottages it is possible to see the broad arrow mark on some of the original bricks as supplied by the Army Board of Ordnance.

67. Albert Road runs east to west and has always been a long road crammed full of many types of shops. This particular view shows the northern side of Albert Road between Fawcett Road from the left of the picture to the premises of George Peters and Co., Wine and Spirit Merchants at No. 231 which was on the corner of Francis Avenue. The lady attending to her pareels on her bicycle is standing outside of what was then Alfred Wild who ran a beef and ham shop in 1910 and today it has remained a butcher's shop trading under the name of Sibleys. Just up from this shop towards the public house known as the Bold Forrester on the opposite corner of Fawcett Road are premises more easily recognisible today as Tesco Supermarket but at the turn of the century part of these premises were owned by a Mr Richard Edgcombe who carried on the business of a stationer.

68. The English are a nation who have always enjoyed celebrating special events in the calendar by organising street parties, parades and ralleys, Children in particular look forward to such special days when it gave them an opportunity to put on their Sunday best and often they knew that they would be receiving special treats that they would not normally enjoy. Here we have a picture of the children with their teachers from a Council run school situated on the corner of St Ronans Road and fronting Albert Road. This photograph has been taken looking into the front playground and the children are in the process of celebrating Empire Day which fell on the 24th May. Sadly Empire Day has been deleted from the calendar as a day of celebration probably due to the fact that large parts of the Empire over the years have become independent.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek