Spen Valley in old picture postcards

Spen Valley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Gillian Cookson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4624-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Spen Valley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Upper Blacup, Cleckheaton.

After the death ofhis first wife, Thomas Wright had a number ofunfortunate experiences with dishenest housekeepers. He decided to remarry. Wright, middle-aged, pock-marked from the smallpox and completely bald, walked to the next farm, Upper Blacup, and made advances to 15 year-old Alicia Pinder. She accepted hirn and produced a further six children for her husband. Upper Blacup, then as now, was a rural backwater near an industrial town. The old house was rebuilt about 1900, though retaining some original features.

10. Heckmondwike's Town Schools.

Close examination of this illustration shows it to be a drawing superimposed upon a photograph. The photograph must have been taken after the schools were demolished in 1875, so that it shows only the boundary wall and paving stones. A fragment of railings can be seen in the schoolyard. The schools were then drawn in, presumably from memory. These buildings were Spen Valley's first public schools, built in 1809, and sited on Heckmondwike Green. The venture was financed by public subscription. The council offices in Beek Lane were built with the materials from the demolished schools; the inscribed stone tablet was saved and built into the tower of the infants' school in Victoria Street.

11. Beevor House, Heckmondwike.

The Beevor family were substantiallandowners in Heckmondwike from the seventeenth century. Their wealth was based on a dyeing business in Beek Lane. An Abraham Beevor bought the Brookhouse estate in 1669, and it was this which came to be called Beevor House. A new portion was added in 1764 by John Beevor, who also built warehouses and outbuildings. The Beevors lived the lives of country squires, keeping a pack of hounds for hunting, but carried on their business. The last in the line, the Reverend John Beevor, sold the house in about 1800 to a Leeds cloth merchant called James Rangeley. Pictured here in 1890, the house retained oak panelling and a wall painting depicting a hunting scene. It was demolished within recent times.

12. Knowier Hili.

The hilI upon which Liversedge Church stands was before the Conquest called Hustings Knowie. This Danish name suggests that it was the gathering place of tribes. By the eighteenth century Knowier HilI was a busy settlement. When this scene was recorded at the turn of the century, there were two inns at the bottom of the hili, the Victoria and the Albion. The Albion is still there, but the Victoria, which was dated 1741, has gone. The Albion, built by James and Judith Wilson, once had the reputation of being haunted by a lady in a silk dress.

13. Listing Lane.

These houses disappeared at the time of the road widening in the early 1960s. Around 1800, Listing Lane was known as Littletown Lane. Much of the property in the area was owned by Thomas Cockill, who was in partnership with his brother John as a dyer. Their premises were next to Littletown village green. They were also merchants dealing mainly with carpets and blankets, and exported to the United States. Thomas Cockill collected the rents from his tenants once a year at the Star Inn, which was near to the site of the present Old Oak. This occasion was always followed by a dance, in which everyone joined.

14. Upper Chapel.

This little-known picture is of the first purpose-built chapel in Heckmondwike. The Independent congregation had been meeting since 1674 in a farm house in a place called the Swash. Itwas decided to build a new chapel, and Joseph Priestley's Aunt Keighley of Old Hall gave the land; it was described as 'a little higher, on the other side ofthe lane, and behind where the present chapel stands'. This second Upper Chapel was first preached in on 29 November 1761, and was in use for over eighty years. It was soon enlarged by the addition of galleries, and seated 700 to 800 people.

15. Upper Chapel, Heckmondwike.

Many of the most important buildings in Heckmondwike were recorded on film by local photographer J.J. Stead. Of ten Stead was able to photograph buildings just before their demolition, as with this picture taken in May 1888 of the third Upper Chapel. It was demolished only 44 years after its foundation stone had been laid. It seated up to 1,200 people but the congregation was said to have increased so much that a new chapel was an absolute necessity. This was despite the fact that a large Sunday School building had been erected next door in 1858. The fourth chapel, which still stands, opened in 1890.

16. Dewsbury Raad, Cleckheaton.

Though much altered, these buildings have survived and now house a fish and chip café. Two hundred years ago, they would have been some ofthe very best houses in Cleckheaton, facing on to the Green, now the Memorial Park, and then in a quiet cul de sac. The road through to Millbridge was not opened until1806. There was a yard fuH of smaH cottages behind these shops, all now disappeared. The building just visible on the left was lost when a road widening scheme went through in the 1960s. Off to the right is a very old brick cottage, and where the Catholic Church is, once stood Heward House, the home of one of Cleckheaton's earliest cardmakers around 1800.

17. Top of St. Peg Lane, Cleckheaton.

This curious building stood at the top of St. Peg Lane and at the time the photograph was taken, about 1900, accommodated a tailor and a draper's shop. It was described as an 'ancient hall'd looking house' and was said to have belonged to the Brooke family in the 1840s. The Brookes had been weavers, and the land behind this house was used for ten tering, that is the drying and stretching of woollen cloth on tenter-hooks. All these buildings stood in the 1840s, along with three low decker cottages down Peg Lane; one of these was a disreputable beerhouse called the Waggon and Harses. Then it was open field down to Ings WeIl, a pure spring which never failed, reached by a flight of steps with a stone cover.

18. Christ Church, Liversedge.

The Reverend Hammond Roberson is best remembered as persecutor of the Luddites but he is also the single person most responsible for new church building in Spen Valley. He came to Liversedge in 1795. In 1810 his wife died; he waschildless and, though not from a wealthy background, had considerable savings. Roberson secured an Act of Parliament in 1812 and then spent f.7,474 lls lO3Ad on the building of Christ Church. It almost broke him financially. Afterwards he secured public money for three other new churches in Spen Valley. He died aged 84 in 1841 and is buried in the Liversedge church yard.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek