Spen Valley in old picture postcards

Spen Valley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Gillian Cookson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4624-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Spen Valley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Balme Mill, Cleckheaton.

An ancient water-powered corn mill owned by the Savile estate, Balme Mill was situated just inside Hunsworth township. The Savile accounts in 1840 record 'Balm Mill' as 'an old building and mill and part in bad repair' . It was still a corn mil! in 1854 when extensive rebuilding took place using stone from Oakenshaw quarry. The total cost of new windows, walling, etc., and building the adjoining house, was ;(602 19s 3d. The rent increased to ;(66 per annum. Thomas Briggs, the miller, though a tenant in this house, was a man of substance, owning considerable tracts of land in Cleckheaton. Most of the buildings in the picture survive, as do the bed of the dam and water conduits under Balme Road and into Spen Beck.

30. Thornbush Farm, Hightown.

Thornbush, or Lousythorn, Farm has survived much as this 1894 photograph shows it. It is notabie as the lodging of the Reverend Patriek Bronte when he took over the living of Hartshead in 1810, at the age of 33. He was looked after at Thornbush by a couple called Bedford who had been in service at Kirklees Hall. Although Patriek Bronte lived at the farm for only two years, it was a significant period in his life. He published a book of poetry and met Maria Branwell, who became his wife in December 1812.

31. Clough Lane Top, Hightown.

Most of the buildings on this photograph, taken about 1900, are still standing. The one most worthy of note is the double-fronted house on the Ieft, where Patriek Bronte brought his new wife in December 1812. The Brontes rented the house and Iived there until1815, when they moved to Thornton. Their two eIdest daughters, Maria and Elizabeth, were bom at the Hightown house in 1813 and 1815. Both girls died in childhood of consumption, contracted at Cowan Bridge School. Their sister CharIotte used her experienees there as a basis for the description of harsh conditions at a girls' boarding school in Jane Eyre. Charlotte and the other Bronte children were bom after the move to Thornton.

32. Heckmondwike Market.

The Market Place has long been a centre of the town's social and public life. The pubs - the George and Dragon, the Woodman. the Red Lion and the Brown Cow, now the Commercial- played host in turn to local board meetings before Heckmondwike had its own council offices. Another meeting place in the 1830s was George Scott's blacksmith's shop, especially popular on cold winter's nights when the forge was said to send its cheerfullight across the empty Market Place. This picture was taken in about 1910. The Woodman is now gone, and the Red Lion has been covered in red tiles. The small tripe shop is now a more permanent feature.

33. Blanket Hall, Heckmondwike.

The blanket making trade was established in Heckmondwike by 1710. It remained a domestic industry, carried out on handlooms, until after 1850. The blankets were sold to merchants from Leeds and Halifax. Originally these sales would take place in the George and Dragon Inn, but in 1811 the landlord, Francis PoppleweIl, erected this Blanket Hall behind his pub. No charge was made for admission but buyers and sellers adjourned to the George after the market. A larger Blanket Hall was built in 1840 to cater for increasing trade. That is now demolished, but part of the first Blanket Hall still stands.

34. Duxbury Hall.

The view of Roberttown Lane shows Duxbury Hall on the left. This seventeenth century hall was the scene of an elopement more than 150 years ago when a family of blanket makers called Brook lived there. The niece of the owner ran away with the farm servant. They went to the parish church at Birstall. By the time her furious uncle and his friend arrived, the couple were walking out of the church, married. Brook insisted that the vicar should dissolve the marriage; the minister replied that he could bind, but not unloose: 'If I should enter into the latter branch of business I might have a good many more customers than I could attend to.' The new husband was later bribed by his wife's family to leave her.

35. Healds Hall, Liversedge.

Healds Hall was built in 1766 by Joseph Bilton, one of a wealthy family believed to have come to Spen Valley early that century. lt was probably the finest residence in the area, and many parties and dances were held by the Biltons. Joseph Bilton died in 1781. The hall was bought in 1795 by the Reverend Hammond Roberson, who ran a boarding school for boys there. He lived at Healds Hall until his death in 1841. Samuel Cooke, the carpet manufacturer, was the next owner, and moved in in 1856. This photograph shows a rather delapidated building in 1924. lts future now seems assured after conversion to a hotel and restaurant, though many features have been lost through unsympathetic modernisation.

36. Bar House, Liversedge.

The Bar House stands where Huddersfield Road branches off to form a Roberttown by-pass. The new road was built in 1764-65 as part of the Birstall and Huddersfield Turnpike. The turnpike trusts of ten merely upgraded existing roads, but they also made new stretches where necessary. In Birstall this improved road linked up with the 1740 Leeds-Elland turnpike. The Bar House is now a dwelling, and is next to the old Yew Tree Inn. This crossroads was a great gathering place. People came to hear the news from travellers; others waited to catch the 'Tally Ho' or another coach, to drive to Leeds, Huddersfield or Manchester.

37. Headlands Hall, Liversedge.

Though said to have been built by Josiah Farrer in 1690, Headlands Hall has the remains of an early Tudor timber-framed cross wing. The wall which hides the house from view is fairly new. The windows also have been modernised, probably at the time it became a pub. As the Yew Tree it grew to be a great coaching house and the landlord, James Mitchell, ran an extensive haulage business from there. It was also a social centre and meeting place. The huge Chartist meeting at Peep Green was organised at the Yew Tree. Mitchell met his death in a quarry accident near Liversedge Station.

.-~'

- '.~~_-' .

_~ ?...

-: ~ -Ó, --:.

38. Westgate, Cleckheaton.

Westgate is a relatively new name - the road was originally called Upper Lane. It was the first main road to pass through the town, forming part ofthe 1740 Leeds-Elland turnpike. As such, Upper Lane became built-up during the eighteenth century with houses and workshops, and the occasional retail shop, as weH as several inns between the George and the Pack Horse. A number of these early buildings can still be seen along Westgate. The photograph here, taken in the early years of this century, shows only late Victorian housing, all ofwhich is still standing.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek