Spen Valley in old picture postcards

Spen Valley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Gillian Cookson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4624-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Spen Valley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Hartshead Church.

This photograph of the interior of Hartshead Church was taken in 1877, four years before the Victorian restoration which ripped out many Norman and early English features. The Victorians removed the minstrels' gallery, low ceilings and high box pews from the lovely old church of St. Peter, changed the window styles and added pseudo-Norman dormers to the roof. Stone pillars were substituted for the original wooden ones, as these were considered more in keeping with a Norman church. Only a few real Norman features rernain, of which the squat tower is one. The re-opening of St. Peter's after its 14-month restoration in 1881 was celebrated by three crowded services and a public luncheon served in a marquee.

?? ? J'"

TOP OF THE COMMON. ~OBERTTOWN .

1.1I.VVIIUT[ c'r e

f 'tIM.Oll, "AllrA»t

50. Top ofthe Common, Roberttown.

This bleak view of Roberttown was taken in the early yearsof the century. A hundred years before, Roberttown had been a small village founded on blanket making, card clothing manufacture and coal mining. Later it diversified into cotton spinning and wire drawing. The Star Inn, on the old main road, was the hub of locallife and is the only pub remaining of those which served the village in 1850. The Radcliffe Arms, the Horse and Jockey and the üld Robin Hood have all been converted ro otheruses.

51. Frost Hill.

Hearing the date February 1889, this postcard shows ancient buildings long since demolished. Frost Hili is the area between the Swan crossroads and Heckmondwike and is supposed to have been called after John Frost, who owned the land on both sides of the road as far as the field where Westgate Chapel was later built. This was at the end of the eighteenth century, and Frost was a merchant and manufacturer of cloth. Probably he paid pieceworkers to weave the cloth in their own homes. He also carried on as a farmer, the usual practice for manufacturers at that time. For many years Frost exported carpets, blankets and rough cloths to New York, but found himself in difficulties after the Declaration of Independence. This butcher's shop may be his old home.

52. Reform Chapel, Heckmondwike.

A great schism in Methodism in 1850 led to the expulsion of hundreds of Spen Valley members. The Reform Chapel, built at the junction of Union Road with Westgate, was one result of this breach. It was opened in January 1852 by the Reverend Samuel Dunn, of London, one ofthe expelled ministers. Over 600 people attended a celebratory tea party. The chapel congregation seems to have grown from strength to strength. This photograph was taken before the demolition in 1883 of the rather curious building, which had become too small for the number of worshippers.

53. Methodist Pree Church, Heckmondwike.

After 31 years, the Reform Chapel had become toa small and a replacement was built. Closing services taak place in the old chapel, the interior fittings stripped and a grand bazaar held, representing a Swiss village. A profit of over ;(600 was made. The building was then demolished, and the foundations of the new chapel laid in June 1883. It was completed and opened in 1884. lts life spanned a century, though it has now been completely demolished and the site is full of modern shops. This picture was taken when the chapel was new, and it shows the boundary posts around the tewn's green.

54. Four Lane Ends, Scholes.

A late Victorian glimpse of Scholes shows a horse and cart disappearing along Scholes Lane towards Hartshead Moor. The Walkers' Arms pub is just offthe picture to the right. The buildings shown have hardly changed in nearly a century. Scholes village as it is today largely grew up in the second half of the nineteenth century. There are still some much older pockets, like Low Fold and Towngate. New and Old PoppleweIl were separate industrial hamlets. The card clothing industry developed in Scholes before it reached Cleckheaton. J oseph Sellers was the first in the district to organise card clothing in a factory on any scale, at Prospect Mill, and his company is still in existence there.

55. The Triangle, Cleckheaton.

Almost every building on this photograph has now disappeared, yet the setting is unmistakable. On the left is the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank, now Barclays, built in 1898 by local architect William Henry Howorth. In the distance is an eighteenth century merchant's house which was demolished in the 1960s. On the right are some small shops which surrounded the second market place. The triangle itself is still a smal! park, though the iron railings disappeared along with most others in Spen Val!ey during the Second World War, to be melted down for armaments.

56. Heckmondwike Station.

The first railway through Spen Valley was the Lancashire and Yorkshire, opened in 1848 and continued through to Bradford in 1850. Stations were built at Cleckheaton and Heckrnondwike, and later at Liversedge. The first Heckrnondwike Station was replaced in 1889 with the one shown. Various schernes to build a second line along the valley carne to nothing until the London and North Western Railway built a railway on the east of the valley bottorn leading to Leeds via Gornersal. This was completed in 1900.

HECKMONDWIKE

57. Heckmondwike Co-op.

The Heckmondwike Co-operative Society was established in 1860 with the 12 shillings profit from a tea party. In the beginning it was a grocery business in Greenside but it grew to include drapery, boots and shoes, and tailoring and outfitting. The building in the picture dates from 1872, although the extension on the left was added in about 1890. Smaller branch stores were opened around the district. When the society celebrated its fiftieth anniversary in 1910, it had a share capital of fl73,000 and nearly 8,000 members. Four thousand children were entertained and given an inscribed mug to mark the occasion.

58. Moorbottom, Cleckheaton.

Worsted spinning was already a major industry in Cleckheaton when Elymas Wadsworth came to the town in 1860. He started in business in Westgate, and moved to Broomfield Mills in 1862. He began with three rooms but soon took over the whole mill and employed more than six hundred people. Wadsworth was Cleckheaton's first representative on the newly formed county council in 1889. He was chairman of the committee formed to build Cleckheaton Town Hall, and died suddenly in 1891 while it was under construction. Nothing now remains of his vast mill complex at Moorbottom. This photograph pre-dates the Whitcliffe Mount School, opened in 1910.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek