Spen Valley in old picture postcards

Spen Valley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Gillian Cookson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4624-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Spen Valley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. Cleckheaton from the air.

The date of this aerial photograph is unknown, though it ean be estimated at about 1920. It is dominated by the goods yards around the 1848 Laneashire and Yorkshire Railway Station, now demolished. The station master's house is in the eentre ofthe picture, to the left ofThe Railway pub. In the foreground is Tofts Mill and the Public Baths, bath now demolished. Most ofthe buildings forming The Square, beyond the railline on the right ofthis photograph, have also long sinee disappeared. Top right is Union Street, Cleekheaton's first planned street of c1830, now just an open space.

60. Littletown.

A view from the fields below Little Gomersal in 1905 shows a landscape of chimneys in Millbridge. The cluster on the left are around Cooke's carpet mill. The older cottages in the middle distance are at the bottom of Listing Lane. Further right is the village centre of Littletown. The railway line in the foreground is the London and North Western Railway, opened in 1900, which ran on through Royds Park to Gomersal and Leeds.

61. Littletown.

Almost nothing is left of the buildings on this photograph. Even the wad has disappeared, replaced in the early 1960s by a featureless dual carriagewaywhich swept away the heart of Littletown. On this postcard, the Old aak pub is the only familiar feature to those who cannot remember Littletown 25 years ago, The land on the left ofthe wad is again open space; it is the site of the old village green. A cucking stool was kept there, to punish gossip-mongers by ducking them in Spen beek. Payments for the repair and maintenance of this interesting form of punishment are recorded in town's books, and a new stool was bought as late as 1778.

62. Central Chapel, Cleckheaton.

The first Methodist chapel in Cleckheaton was built at the Marsh in about 1811. In the 1870s, the congregation wanted a more showy building in a central position and set about raising flO,Ooo. The Central Chapel was designed by local architect Reuben Castie and opened in 1879. The final cast was f13,OOO, for a building described as the Cathedralof Free Methodism, and more like a town hall than a church. It could seat 1,763 people. By 1889 the debt had been cleared and a new organ added at the cost of El ,200. The chapel was demolished in the 1960s and the Post Office stands on its site.

63. Town Hall Square, Cleckheaton. Cleckheaton's original market place was in the square now in front of the Town Hall. By the 1890s, when this picture was taken, the square was being redeveloped. On the left can be seen the new Conservative Club which replaced the Pigeon Cote in 1887. The building in the centre is the London City and Midland Bank, still standing there as the Midland Bank, of 1891. To the right is the new Town Hall, designed by the Bradford architects Mawson and Hudson and erected 1890-1892. When the foundation stone was laid in 1890, there was a procession of bands, organisations, the town's twenty oldest inhabitants and the fire brigade round Westgate, South Parade and Moorend, followed by a gala and banquet.

64. Heckmondwike Market.

The festivities taking place in Heckmondwike market on 12 August 1902 celebrated the coronation of Edward VII. The market place already boasted a drinking fountain set up in 1863 to mark the marriage of Edward when Prince of Wales. Heckmondwike has had a market since 1810, first of all on an informal basis, but at a cost of2d astall after 1854. The local board ofhealth tookit over in 1868, paved the market place and raised considerable revenue for the town.

65. Heckmondwike.

The coming ofthe tram gave Heckmondwike's markets a boost. Tram routes followed the network of tumpike roads along their gender gradients, and trams could manage to run to Birkenshawand Hightown. In this picture of the bottom of High Street, the new Pavilion Picture House contrasts starkly with the older shops around. But the cinema has long been demolished, while the shops on the left still survive. The site of the Pavilion had formerly been part of the tewn's Green. Now onee again it is an open area. Many old cottages, onee on the Green side, still stand in Oldfield Lane.

66. The Viaduct, Cleckheaton.

Known also as Station Approach, Cleckheaton's viaduct carried a road across the Bottoms up to Spen station. The Spen railway line went via a tunnel to Gomersal station and on to Leeds. It was opened in 1900 and closed during the Beeching era. The line and viaduct were built by the London and North Western Railway between 1896 and 1900. To make the huge earth embankment on the left of the picture, the river Spen had to be diverted from its original course. Although the railway line has been dismantled and the station taken down, the viaduct is still in place. It was recently listed as a structure of historical and architectural interest and has come into the ownership of Kirklees Council.

67. Schales fram the air.

The date of this picture can be worked out from the fact that foundations have been dug for the Tbompson Jowett Memorial Hornes next to the school. The hornes were opened in 1929 so the photograph must have been taken in about 1928. The fields on the left now accommodate Foldings Estate. Foldings House (centre, left) was demolished to make way for the estate. The church is as originally built, without the plastic steeple added in the 19608. Albert Mills, still in existence, is in the right foreground.

68. Market Place, Cleckheaton.

The market moved from Town Hall Square to occupy this space next to the George Hotel. The George, previously the Nag's Head, had been the centre of Cleckheaton's sociallife throughout the last century. Dances, auction sales and meetings were held there, and it was also the busiest coaching inn, situated as it was on the first turnpike road through the town. The Co-op buildings, the market shops and the Central Chapel have all now gone. The Co-op, built in 1868, was knocked down with the other buildings in the 1960s. The market is now on a third site, in Horocastle Street.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek