Spen Valley in old picture postcards

Spen Valley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Gillian Cookson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4624-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Spen Valley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. Westgate, Cleckheaton.

This photographshows the bottom of Westgate about 1907-1910 when Critchley's mill, on the horizon, was still new and unsoiled by the smoky atmosphere. Critchley's was one of the largest card clothing factories in Cleckheaton, the world's leading producer of this tooth-covered belting for combing out wool. In the middle of the picture is Butts Mill, built in 1820 by Benjamin Holdsworth, who introduced blanket making to Cleckheaton; this too became a major industry. Butts Mill was pulled down in the 1980s. Brook Mil!, dating from before 1810, is in the foreground. It was important as an early factory where small manufacturers could rent room and power. Anderton's, the biggest worsted spinners in the town by 1851, were among those who started there.

[!pq H(')USE AN:> HUDOER5FrELD ROAO. L1VERSEOGE HÄ.LL L4t.NE

HINCIolCUFn s.tft'fS llVERSEOCC

70. Huddersfield Road, Liversedge.

The sight of a photographer still excited interest in the 1920s. The ribbon development which characterises Huddersfield Road today can be seen here in its early stages. To the left is Liversedge Hall Lane. There would he little building on the lane itself apart from Liversedge Hall, which dates from 1600. The present hall has been much altered. It stands on an ancient site where the manorial hall was in medieval times; the manor stretched from Ashton Clough to the Heckmondwike and Mirfield boundaries. Until the Tudor period, Liversedge Hall was held by the Neville family. lt is supposed to have had a pack of hounds and two sets of kennels, hence the name Doghouse or, more properly, Doggas, by which local people know Norristhorpe.

LIVERSfDGE 'RON THE A lil

Sf'[C1AllY TAKEN rOR PORRITT BROS.

HECKMONDWIItE.

IMPERIAL "ANCHtSTER.

COrvlltl,"H" 8Z

71. Liversedge from the air.

It is certain that this early aerial photograph was taken before 1928, as the field in the centre, crisscrossed by footpaths, had not yet been laid out as Millbridge Park. Huddersfield Road is in the foreground, with Liversedge Church in the top left corner, and Healds Hall top right. The old cornmill at Millbridge has been demolished. Valley Road is partly built up, with a number of fairly new streets leading off. The characteristic Spen Valley mix of industry and houses is evident but there are still large areas of land undeveloped.

72. St. Saviour's Church.

St. Saviour's was built in 1889 on a piece of ground said to be eligibly situated in the centre of Heckmondwike and which had been donated by Messrs Kelley. It was a daughter church of St. James' and was built of iron. This picture is dated 1890. St. Saviour's had been opened by the Bishop of Wakefield, but only seven years later he was back to open St. Saviour's stone church, known as the Carter memorial after a former vicar. The stone church was on Claremont, and was demolished in recent times; whether it was a direct replacement for the iron church is not clear.

73. Heckmondwike Green.

The Green was laid out as a park in 1911, and this picture was taken in August 1913. The chapel facing the camera is the Wesleyan Chapel, built 1865-66 and na langer standing. It is on the site of Spen Valley's first Methodist chapel, built in 1810. The old building faced the main raad rather than the Green. It was the scene in 1829 of a disaster when five people were killed. A popular preacher was visiting and the chapel was packed. A panic ensued when someone cried out that the chapel was falling, and people were killed and injured in the stampede.

74. Northgate, Cleckheaton.

Originally called Back Lane, this was part ofthe medieval village of Cleckheaton, separating the handful of crofts from the town's open fields in Tofts, Peaselands and Whitcliffe. In 1830, Back Lane was described as a narrow, dirty thoroughfare where two carts had difficulty passing one another. By the time of this picture, in the early years of the century, some town planning had created more space. But the area on the right of Back Lane as far as Scott Lane was crammed with mean cottages and industrial premises, most of which have now been cleared. The shops, however, remain much as this photograph showsthem.

75. Cleckheaton from the east,

From Spen, this view across the Bottoms shows Valley Road and Netherfield Foundry in the middle ground. The tower in the centre of the picture belongs to Cleckheaton's old fire station, now in use as a council depot. ft was built in 1891. The tower has been demolished but the stables are still there. Behind it in this picture is the Commercial, still one of the town's biggest pubs, which dates from about 1830. The Nook Chapel, whose large roof can be seen to the right ofthe fire tower, was built in 1847 on a site out in the open fields. By the time ofthis photograph, about 1905, it was surrounded by buildings.

76. Views of Cleckheaton.

Three views of Cleckheaton include, bottom, a picture of the viaduct with the ancient Spen oom mil!, now demolished, in the foreground. The Mann family had the rnill, run from the Mann dam by water power, but later it became a starch manufacturers, which is perhaps what the two women are engaged in. The centre picture is St. John's Church, built in 1832, but seen as rebuilt in 1887. It was one ofthe Spen Valley churches built with 'Million Act' money - out of n .million voted by parIiament for church building - as a result of the efforts of the Reverend Hammond Roberson.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek