St Andrews in old picture postcards

St Andrews in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Fife
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6668-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'St Andrews in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59 In the 1930s theTudor Café in North Street could also baast of a tea garden, but it too has also changed its image and is now the Tudorlnn.Nextdoorthe Imperial Hotel has also changed and, imperialism as a concept being na langer fashionable, is now the Inn on North Street.

It was, nevertheless, a goahead establishment, and onee boasted phone number 2. By the 1930s it had come right up to date, having been fitted with sun lounge and cocktail bar, also running water in all bedrooms and interior spring mattresses on all beds. Nearby the new Picture House (1930) offered

patrons 'perfect entertainment with perfect comfort.' The bus we see in this 1956 postcard was on a private hire.

60 St Andrews had same claim to being a health resort. In Health Resorts of

the British Isles (1 91 2), the town, 'dry and extremely bracing' (very windy in other words), was recommended as a suitable place for recuperation after debilitating illnesses for those coming from 'the relaxing, damp west coast.' If you suffered from a rheumatic or catarrhal ailment, on the other hand, you had to beware of the spring haars. Visiting valetudinarians, as well

as locals, therefore, appreciared the kind of'wellstocked pharmacy that Smith and Govan represenred. as seen in this 1894 image. As well as

being a high-dass chemist's, this South Street shop could daim to command extensive favour amongst the best families 'as an emporium for ladies' toilet requisites.'

61 South Street was the first of St Andrews' thoroughfares to benefit or, according to viewpoint, suffer from improvements effected during Provost Play-

fair's time of office (1842186 1 ) . Afterwards in circa 1880 the first lime trees were planted. In this 1903 postcard, we see too circa gas lamps, which ensured

that St Andrews' streets were well illuminated. Note that, while the croon o the causie was macadamized, the fringes were still cobbled. It is quite a

busy street scene, with several horse-drawn vehicles, a number ofbicycles, and, always a common sight, some hurlies on view.

62 There are no bikes to be seen in this Edwardianperiod South Street closeup. But a sign reading CYCLE ENTRANCE above one of the entrances prob-

ably points to a bicycle shop. This is the wellheeled side of St Andrews, a world away from the Ladyheid fishing quarter where folk spoke the guid

Scots tongue and where the pavement was a place of work and not a fashion parade. Note the horsedrawn cab and the extralarge ornamental flower

pot stand, one of a series. The lads on the left wear hard Eton collars and leather boots, the standard footwear for boys in those years.

63 Between the two world wars buses taak a lot of trade away from the railways. No bus stops then but the trees served as route markers. In this

1936 Valentine postcard, the leading coach FG945 7 . a Leyland Lion, is bound for Perth. Behind we have another of Alexander's buses, a 1935-model

Leyland Tiger. This vehicle was converted to a double decker in 1943. The opening in 1954 of the bus station helped to alleviate sorne of the tewn's long-

standing traffic problems, taking some at least of the buses away from Sou th Street.

64 On the north side of South Street we see at No.

1 S9 Coopers, part of a grocery chain. Margaret, evidently a student, sent this card to Pam in Bristol in May 1 9 SO telling her to look at the Sphere and London Illustrated News, two upmarket illustrated magazines, 'if you wish to see some of our revellings in Rectorial week: 'What a wonderful place this is,' Margaret concluded, 'and how lucky lam: The Lord Rector elected by the students in that year was Lord Burghley, gold medallist in the 400 metre hurdles in the 1928 Olympic games. Ironically; in the film Churiots af Fire the character

playing his lordship was filmed training on St Andrews West Sands for the 1924 Paris Olympics, but this like much else in the film is fiction.

65 Now we turn to South Street around the early

195 Os. The building (left) with the words Christian Institute prominently displayed served as the Post Office from 1892 till 19 07 and then, as the sign proclaims, was a centre for evangelical worship. Now secularized, it is incorporated into ]. & G. Innes' next door. This last building was tarted up with Tudor features in 1927. Another nearby bookshop, Henderson's, informed visitors, in a circa 1948 guide-book, that: their Library provided 'just the right kind of holiday reading' with special terms for visitors; their Book Department was' sec-

ond to none North of the Forth': and their Fancy Goods Department 'will solve YOUf gift problem.'

66 To the older generation HoIyTrinity Kirk was known as the Auld Kirk, Going even further back Church Square was known, until the name

was anglicized in Victorian days as 'The back 0 the Kirk.' The year is 1955 and the coach is a Bedford Duple owned byT.D. Niven of St Andrews. The number of charabanc or coach parties coming into the town on summer Sabbaths had greatly increased and this led to complaints in the press and heated discussions at Presbyterles and Town Council meetings. Drunkenness was the main problem with the situation aggravated with the law

then insisting that on Sundays only bono fide travelIers could have access to lieeneed premises.

67 Market Street with the Whyte- Melville Memorial Fountain (1 878) in the foreground has always been a popular subject for photographers. Not much

of a market here on this circa 1900 occasion - just a few pot plants and beyond that what looks to be a hotel bus. In 1910 the fountain was as dry as it is

now. Speaking at the Town Council in April that year, Mr. WT. Linskill argued in favour of repairing the braken pipes to allow the fountain to play again. The

motion was lost, however, with Bailie Todd countering by saying th at when the fountain was werking, the water frightened the horses.

68 Now we have Market Street looking east this time. While, in this 1896 view, three of the lads by the fountain are barefoot, all wear caps and the one on the right is carrying a milk pail. The Temperance Hotel on the extreme left boarded 'parties' by the day, month or week at moderate charges and was, it claimed, convenient for sea bathing. On the right, the shops include the Fairfield Drapery Store, a Cupar-based firm. The Tourist Information Centre now occupies the site. This part of Market Street, as the name suggests, was the trading hub ofthe rnedieval burgh.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek