St Andrews in old picture postcards

St Andrews in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Fife
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6668-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'St Andrews in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69 By 1956 the WhyteMelville Fountain was housing flowers and the street is jammed with cars, quite a contrast with the previous images. Interest-

ingly, all the cars and vans appear to be of British manufacture. In general, at that time few foreignmade vehicles were seen on British roads. On the

right the Crosskeys Hotel, once frequented by commercial travellers, has been converted into housing accommodation, but the Keys public house retains

part of the old name. The sender of the card, a holidaymaker, has marked with a cross her place of abode.

70 The message on this card reads: 'We are all sad at the death of our beloved king.' The late king was Edward I &VII and the postcard depiets the preelamation of George V on 10 May just four days after the death of his predecessor. The occasion was marked with great pageantry in St Andrews. The mile-long proces sion was watched by thousands of spectators. The platform party included Provo st Wilson,

the Magistrates and other members of the Town Council but, typical of the time, there don't seem to be any wamen on the plat-

farm. As for Edward, the sender would not have known that QueenAlexandra had sent for his mistress, Mrs. Keppel, sa that she could see him befare his death. Alice Keppel,

incidentally, is the greatgrandmother of Camilla Parker- Bowles.

71 In this 1 92 9 Va1entine aerial postcard we see, at the foot, the roofs of the Shorehead tenements and also the incongruously-

located Gas Works. Eight years later, Agnes Whitelaw chose a simtlar card to tell a friend in Paisley that they had had a fine bus run

through and that they had procured rooms (at 163 Lamond Drive) within an hOUT of their arrival. Holidaymakers arriving by bus

contributed ta the eventual demise of the Leuchars to St Andrews branch line.

72 When in 1843 the monument to the Protestant martyrs of the Reformation was erected,

St Andrews was still overwhelmingly Protestant. In 1 83 6 it is recorded that in the entire town there was only one Roman Catholic family (one ofIrish origin). Notice the old artillery piece by the Bow Butts and the early Step Rock changing hut and small baat nearby, presumably one of the rowing boats which were available for hire. In 1903, the approximate date of t

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek