Strathaven in old picture postcards volume 1

Strathaven in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Robert P. Currie
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lanarkshire, South
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4664-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Strathaven in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. Old Jail, Strathaven. The author is indebted to Mr. William Marshall. Gowanlea, G1asgow Road, for this excellent photograph of the ├╝ld Jail viewed from behind the gateway of the Old Grave Yard. In 1963 the jail was destroyed by fire and the site c1eared thereafter.

70. Dunavon House. Dunavon House was built in 1861 for William Alison, a native of Strathaven. The solid Italianate style was extremely popular for buildings of this type in the third quarter of the 19th century and Dunavon House was a fine local example of its kind. From 1933 onwards the building was used as a Children's Home but fell trom use in 1975. When vacated the house was severely vandalised. The Secretary of State for Scotland inc1uded Dunavon House in the third Amendment of the Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural and Historie Interest for East Kilbride District in 1980 (Category 'B'). This particular part of Strathaven's architectural heritage was lost when Dunavon House was demolished in 1982. The grounds are now developed as a private housing estate laid-out adjacent to the new buildings of the Children's Home re-named Glenavon House. The original drive-way to Dunavon House by way of Commercial Road remains and is now named Dunavon Park. (From the collection of Mr. J. Hannah, Strathaven.)

Mainsacre, Strathaven

71. Mainsacre, Strathaven. The fine property of 'Mainsacre' , built in 1913, was designed by Mr. Andrew S. Downie, then architect in Strathaven. Mr. Downie was commissioned by Mr. Wilson of Messrs. Gebbie & Wilson, solicitors, and Mr. Wilsoa's father-in-law, Mr. Bisset. 'Mainsacre' has an elevated position and commands uninterrupted views acros the Avon to Tinto Hill, the Kype Hills and Sandford. To the west of the property, amidst the trees, is the tower of the former Dunavon House. When this photograph was taken 'Mainsacre' stood in grand isolation. Since then a number of modem bungalows have been built in nearby Y oung Street and Hills Road. T1e present owners of the west portion of the house are Mr. and Mrs. S. Clinton. The otherportion is in the ownership of Mr. and Mrs. H.M. Menzies. Mrs. Menzies, nee Margery S. Gibson, is a grand-daughter of the architect, Mr. Andrew S. Downie. The name 'Mainsacre' is derived from the fact that an acre of ground was purchased from a Mr. Mains.

Wester Overton, Strathaven

72. Wester Overton, Strathaven. Wester Overton House was built in 1797 for General Lockhart, a hero ofthe Charge of the Light Brigade at Balaclava. The walls of this house are 3 feet thick. The building of the property was undertaken by the sans of Robert Adam, Scottish architect. A principal feature of the house is a suspended staircase. It is a Category B listed building described as late 18th century pedimented. This is a view ofthe house before it was extended and prior to its becoming hotel prernises, and being re-named 'Strathaven Hotel'. The policies of Wester Overton House have largely been developed for private housing.

73. Hamilton Road, Strathaven. Haruilton Road, at its junction with Commercial Road and Glassford Road. As the road name indicates, this is the main traffic-route from Strathaven to Hamilton. This is a view of the road where it intersects the old weaving district of Flemington. The houses shown here were all originally weavers' cottages. The field in the foreground has been extensively developed and there is now an access named Staneholm Road to this housing estate first laid out in the 1960s and more recently extended. Some of the old weavers' cottages on Hamilton Road still remain.

74. Handloom Weaving. In the Statistica! Account of the Parish of Avonda!e or Strathaven by the Reverend William Proudfoot, Minister, compi!ed in 1835, it is stated that: the numbers of weavers in both town and parish may be said to amount to nearly 800; that many of the weavers are proprietors of their own houses and upon the whole are diligent and industrious. This postcard of handloom weaving is postmarked Strathaven, 27th March 1907. By 1938 handloom weaving had ceased altogether. I am indebted to the owner of this card who chooses to rernain anonyrnous and is therefore not rnentioned in my acknowledgements. In deference to his wishes this weaver's tongue-twister is here reproduced:

When a twister, a-twisting, will twist him a twist, For the twisting his twist he three twines doth intwist; But if one of the twines of the twist doth untwist, The twine that untwisteth, untwisteth the twist.

Glasford Road, Strathaven.

75. Glasford Road, Strathaven. This road, which leads off the top of Commercial Road, is the direct route to Glassford Village. The houses seen here were in the main weaving shops. The field opposite is now the site of modern bungalows.

76. Strathaven North Station. Access to Strathaven North Station, opened in 1904, was by way of Glassford Road, Flemington. The younger of the two men in the foreground of this picture is Mr. Archie Y oung. This card conjures up thoughts of the end of the raad and brings to mind the fact that Sir Harry Lauder, Scotland's Minstrel, who built a fine mansion on the outskirts of Strathaven in 1934, is immortalised in the words 'Keep right on to the end ofthe Raad' where, he says, 'All the love that you're dreaming ofwill be there'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek