Swanscombe in old picture postcards

Swanscombe in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Christoph Bull
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:  
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6746-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Swanscombe in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

48. Eglington Road, Swanscombe circa 1930. This road was one of a dutch of new developments coming off the original road ofSwanscombe Street. The first eleven plots for building were those occupied by the houses on the left and were sold in 1885. By 1890 more empty plots were again up for sale. On the right can be seen the last few trees of a once considerable orchard before the site was covered with houses by the 193 Os. In the distanee can be seen Ames Road, a development largely undertaken by Swanscombe Urban District Council after 1926 in an attempt to relieve overcrowding, provide decent housing for working people and to expand the population ofthe town, Eglington Road was also the site of Barker's shop - famed for its high quality ice cream, which was sold from the shop and via a tricyde with a special modified front so that the ice cream could be transported around Swanscombe. In 1973 Miss Ivy Barker saw off a youth brandishing a knife in the shop and demanding money. Barker's shop did eventually close down and has not traded since the 1980s.

49. Swanscombe Recreation Ground 1932.The opening ofthe newRecreation Ground on 30April1932 was one of'Swanscombe's great days of civic history Swanscombe Urban District Council, using locally produced materials and local unemployed men to create this magnificent new facility. had relieved the appalling high rate of unemployment. The opening day was a Saturday with warm sunshine and was attended by crowds oflocal people in addition to civic dignitaries from Swanscombe, Northfleet, Gravesend and Stone. The ground was officially opened by Councillor Alexander Entwhistle, the chairman ofthe council for 1930-1931 amid a huge sense oflocal pride and achievement. This view shows the new bandstand, the hop kilns and oast houses in the background (now used as an old people's welfare and social centre) and the boundary between the park and the cemetery. In an age of simple pleasures 'Rose Sunday' attracted crowds to the park and cemetery to see the exceptional displays ofSwanscombe roses.

50. Swanscombe Councillors, 1932. The proud civic day of the official opening of Swanscornbe's Recreation Ground on 30th April 1932 is shown here with the local councillors and officials gathered on the bandstand. The three councillors at the front are: (left) William Everard of Everards, the shipping company in Greenhithe, who was chairrnan ofthe Unemployment Grants Scheme Committee. In the centre is Thomas Broad, chairman of Swanscombe Urban District Council 1932-33 and chairman of the Works Committee. On the right is Alexander Entwhistle, chairman of the Urban District Council193 0-193 2 who is accepting the silver key to officially open the Reereanon Ground. Other councillors present on this occasion were [ohn Gunn (of Manor Farm), Walter Ames (see picture 22), William Knight, Thomas Wedgewood Ostle, Thomas Tutt, Arthur Allen, Thomas Bodle, Albert Frost, Arthur Lane, Thomas Coveney, Stanley Fright, Peter Fletcher and R.W Butcher.

51. Memorial Fountain, Recreation Ground, Swanscombe, 1932. The fountain is part of the facilities of the Recreation Ground, dedicated to the memory ofCouncillor Edward Moore, who died in 1932. Moore was part of apolitical dynasty whose financial security was originally in the Moore Brothers Mineral Water Company of 59 Milton Road, Swanscombe, Edward Moore lived in Dartford but represented Galley Hill Ward on Swanscombe Urban District Council. Moore was a very keen councillor in the creation of a 'Better and Brighter Swanscombe' campaign during the 1920s and 1930s, ofwhich the Recreation Ground formed part. Another member of the Moore Family was George Moore, who was chairrnan of Swanscombe's council in 1936-1937. The fountain provided water for humans at the top and at the bottom was another watering area for dogs. Today the fountain exists but na long er provides water.

52. Boating Pond, Reereatien Ground, Swa.nscombe, 1932. A major feature of Swanscombe's new Reereatien Ground was the boaring pond which, despite many local children falling in, was visited by people from miles around the area. The pond was greatly used by model baat enthusiasts and in the 1930s saw many 'pop-pop' boats on it. These were powered by a candle, which heated a tiny boiler in the vessel, thus creating steam and this caused the popping noise as the boats went across the water. Sailing boats, barges, clockwork boats were all seen on the pond. Elderly residents' model sailing beats that floated offhad to be rescued by the local youth who waded into the pond with rolled-up trousers to retrieve the vessels. During the Second World War, by which time the pond was already leaking, this Iacility was used for roller-skating and cycles - having been drained of water first! The ra.ilings behind mark where Park Raad was about to be built and in the background can be seen Swa.nscombe Woods on its hilly position a place beloved by Swa.nscornbe folk for picnics.

53. Swanscombe fire engine, Recreation Ground, 1932. The vehicle shown is the new purpose-built Dennis fire engine, which replaced the previous Garfield converted motorised lorry as the urban district's main fire fighting appliance in 1929. The new engine, a souree of immense civic pride, stands in the entrance of another huge piece of Swanscombe's achievements, namely the Recreation Ground (as described in the previous pictures). All these and many more slmilar civic achievements were part of the 'Better and Brighter Swanscombe' campaign, which was such a driving force in the town after it became an independent urban district COUJlCi! in 1926. Captain Albert Ernest Kent is fourth from left in the front row. Kent retired from fire fighting in 1929 after a stroke, but remained as chieffor ceremonial occasions after this. Next to Captain Kent can be seen Burt Ellen, with a huge goitre on the side ofhis face.

54. Swanscombe Rectory.This wanderful building was another victim af a trend within the Church af England to sell off assets and replace them with smaller modern houses and this happened at Swanscambe in the early 1960s. This building was constructed by Reverend George Cecil Renouard (Rector 1818-1867), who ran a private schaal from its extensive rooms. One of the pupils was Sir Erasmus Wilsan (1809-1884), who became a great surgeon, brought Cleopatra's needIe to London and gave much maney for the chuteh's restoration in 1873. Renouard's rectory replaced an earlier structure, which doubled as a rectory and farm - the latter bringing in an income for the rector. A successor to Renouard as rector was ReverendThomas Candy (rector 1868-1888) who established an early public library in a room in this building from 1887. The present rectory and church centre stand on the site af this building as well as sorne hausing develapment.

55. Swanscombe Athletic Football Club. 1903-1904. Working hours were still very long compared to today. sorne 54 hours a week for a cement worker in 1903 - but there was a gradual increase in leisure time. Consequently various organisations grew up such as sports clubs. political parties. cultural organisations and horticultural/livestock societies. The farnaus Swanscombe United Football Club with their red and black strip was the senior team. but Swanscombe Invicta was a rival. The team shown here was a break away from Invicta who, in 1903. became Swanscombe Athletic and probably shared the ground on the Rectory Field with the parent club. Swanscombe Athletic described itself as 'medium strength team. average age 19. with private ground and dressing room' in 1904. and could attract large crowds to matches: 1.000 watched a Swanscombe Invicta match in April 1904. Mr. Braine, the secretary on the picture, lived in Railway Street, Northfleet. Rivals Swanscombe United had their home pitch on land to the west ofthe cemetery (see picture 60) and after 1932 the whole playing area was upgraded as part ofthe Recreation Ground. Swanscombe Athletic, unlike rivals United, does not exist today.

56. Milton Road, Swanscornbe, circa 1920. The lamp-post supplied by Northfleet & Greenhithe Gas Works is strategically placed at the junction of the High Street, Church Road and Milton Road. Diseussions were held in 1854 for the provision of streetlights in Swanscombe and they were in operation by the late nineteenth century. The row of cottages on the right was demolished in about 1961 to make way for the rash of 1960s shops. Further along on the right are the two shops of Mr. Mercer (owner ofthe cinema and local councillor) and HarryTown (fruiter and dairy) - the latter had an early public telephone. On the left is the corner of the Primitive Methodist Church with a dozen cottages beyond which were open fields looking across towards Milton Street. The open ground was developed by Swanscombe Urban District Council in its campaign to improve housing within the town and the roads of Ames, Gasson, Stanley and Sweyne all now cover this area.Ames, Gasson and Stanley are allnamed after Swanscombe councillors and the roads were in existence by 192 9.

57. Brotherhood Band, Milton Road, Swanscombe, circa 1936. Part ofthe Gravesend and North Kent Hospital Carnival- a fund raising annual event which snaked its route via Swanscombe and Greenhithe on to Northfleet and Gravesend. The shop in the picture is that ofF.V [ones, a general shop selling groceries and greengroceries as wel!. One of Swanscombe's three police constables (P.CWilliam Sage) lived in the fifth house after the shop. At the very end of the terrace was a single story building, which had been a private school known as the 'Kirteen' Private School, which was in operation by 1887 but had closed by 1906. The band was one of many in Swanscombe - this one from one of the many chapels in the town.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek