Artikel niet aanwezig

Het artikel dat u wilt bekijken is niet aanwezig.

Fragmenten uit het boek ''

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

38. Blue Anchor public house, Swanscombe Street. This photograph was taken at a time of transition - Style & Winch were taken over by Courage Brewery in 1958 and bath companies are still displayed. The pub was built circa 1735 in what was the original village of Swanscombe, lang before the days of Galley Hill's growth in the Victorian era. Like all pubs, the Blue Anchor hosted many local organisations such as the RoyalAncient Order of Buffalos, which is a friendly society for working dass people to pay small arnounts of money weekly and to use in case of illness or other crises. Swanscombe United Football Club also used the premises for their headquarters. The Hazel Farnily were landlords from the 1890s until the early 198 Os. This view shows a small entrance on the right, which led into a yard and then onto a huge 158-foot-Iong garden with three outside toilets. A stable was situated to the right of the above entrance Gust out of the photograph) and a skittle alley was also part of the back building complex.

39. Manor Farmhouse, Swanscombe Street. This beautiful building probably began life as the Manor Farm rather than the Manor House, which was possibly situated at the nearby Mansion House. The Child family, who were bankers in London, owned the property from 1740 and probably created what is seen here - as the older building was encased in fashionable eighteenth century bride. In 1872 Thomas Bevan, one of the leading cement manufacturers, purchased this house, along with a vast area of Swanscombe. Over the next century more of the land was progressively mrned over to chalk and day extraction while the farm itselfwas tenanted out: John Coveney (1866-1880), Robert Stewart (I 880-cI896). Iohn and Iack Gunn (1890s to 1950s) and the Pallant family until the early 1960s. The Gunns were local councillors rurrning a jam factory for their fruit (until it was burned down in the 192 Os), haulage as well as farming and taking a prominent role in Swanscombe life. Jack Gunn died in 1974 aged 89. Swanscombe Urban District Council bought the house and grounds in the late 1950s and demolished Manor Farm in 1963 replacing it with modern but tasteless council offices, which were themselves demolished in 1989.

40. Rear of Manor Farmhouse, Swanscombe Street. The view shows the odd building pattern where successive rebuilding had greatly added to any surviving structure from medieval times. Manor Farm and the Mansion House nearby formed part of the Swanscombe Maner Estare until the nineteenth century and as such manorial courts were held here including, possibly, the accusation in 1652 that three Swanscombe wamen were witches. The Weldon family lived in the manor since the 157 Os when Sir Ralph Weldon inherited the manor; bath he and his wife Elizabeth have the magnificent alabaster tomb in Swanscombe Church. The Weldons had rented the manor since the 1530s prior to living in Swanscombe. The great parliamentarian leader of Kent during the Civil War (1642-1649) was Sir Anthony Weldon (1583-1648) and it was Sir Anthony who in 1613 obtained Roehester Castie and stripped it of its roof and flooring creating the ruin we see today. It was Sir Anthony who abolished Christmas in 1647 which helped cause an uprising in 1648 and it was Sir Anthony who was determined to await the royalist attack on his manor house and to die fighting - in the event he died peacefully later that year.

41. Swanscombe Church 1802. The above is from the Gentleman's Magazine and clearly illustrates the ancient parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul after sorne fairly clumsy eighteenth-century alterations.

The east window (on the left) clearly shows its medieval extent, but it had been bricked up and a mean window was inserted in its place. The porch was believed to have been much altered in the seventeenth century and did not assume its present shape until 1873. Virtually all the windows shown are not medieval but altered in a similarly crude way as the east wind ow. This print shows the disregard for medieval features in churches before the Victorian and our own eras. Swanscombe Church was also home to a folklore event of the 'Virgin's Garlands' - a ceremony whereby adult females, who died as virgins, had garlands of flowers and coloured cloth placed on their coffin and then hung in the church as a symbol of victory over the lusts of the flesh. This ceremony survived at Swanscombe until the mid-nineteenth century -long after other parishes had abandoned it.

42. Swanscombe Church 1868. St. Peter and St. Paul's Church had suffered from years of neglect as was the case natianally, and it feil to the enthusiasm of the Victorians to restore thausands of parish churches. In 1868 the Reverend Thomas Candy became rector and he was a man of great energy and vision - he began a scheme to raise money for the chuteh's restoration. Candy had already had the chancel roof remaved at the time of this painting (18 July 1868) but his scheme soon ran into financial problems - especially as the White Brothers (owners of the CementWorks) were reluctant to provide any of the riches they had gained from digging huge pits in Swanscambe. The restoration was not campleted until ;(2000 was donated by Sir Erasmus Wils on (1809-1884), the eminent skin surgean, and the man who paid to have Cleopatra's needle shipped to Loridon. Once Wilsou's gift was known, others donated money (including the White Brothers) and the church was officially reapened on 31 October 1874.

43. St. Peter and St. Paul's Church, photograph circa 1860. Compare this photograph with the previous painting. This view is of the unrestored church and shows the doek in the tower, which only faced east along Swanscombe Street rather than having a dock face on all sides of the tower. The new rector, Thomas Henry Candy (1868), received a church that had been in the care ofthe Reverend George Renouard for fifty years followed by the ReverendYates, who died within months of coming to Swanscombe. Consequendy little had been done and the church was old fashioned to the tastes of the Victorians. Candy's restoration dispensed with the clock, the old box pews, a gallery on the west side of the nave, and the porch was rebuilt by local freemasons.

44. St. Peter and St. Panl's Churchinterior view after fire damage, 1902.The ancient parish church was severely damaged by a fire caused by a lightening strike on 14thAugust 1902. The fire destroyed the upper part ofthe tower melting the beils before burning the roof of the nave causing it to collapse into the church. The fledgling Swanscombe Fire Brigade with help from Northfleet desperately fought the flames but a water hydrant outside the Blue Anchor pub was accidentally damaged and the pond at the rear of the church enabled only a feebie water pressure. It was a miracle that Swanscombe Church retained most of its treasures such as the Weldon tomb, the parish registers and the ancient wooden lectern, Even the Norman font, created from a single block of chalk and broken by a falling roofbeam, was subsequently repaired. The church was still used for wedclings even in its ruined state but it was fully restored in Iune 1903 and the bells were replaced in March 1904.

45. St. Peter and St. Paul's Church, circa 1910. The photograph shows the parish church after its restoration in 1903-1904 having recovered from the disastrous fire of 1902.The ruralnature ofSwanscombe can be gleaned by noting the oast house and barn on the right and the trees surrounding the Manor House in the background. The growing urban nature ofSwanscombe can be seen by the gas Iamp-posts, the made-up pavement and the cemetery wall on the left.

46. St. Peter and St. Paul's church circa 1930. Here is the result ofthe ReverendT.H. Candy's effort in restoring the church, completed in 1874, and then having to be re- restored after the fire of 1 902. The nave roofhad been raised in height and a peel of eight new bells replaced the six dating from 1 75 1 that had melted in the fire of 1902. The new bells were dedicated by theVenerable Dr. Cheetham,Archdeacon of Rochester, on 5th March 1904, but 92 years ofringing Swanscombe's great events meant a huge restoration ofthe bells, their fittings and the tower in 1994-1995. The bells have been ringing regularly again since December 1996. In 1995 the churchyard became the fourth home since 1958 ofthe Invicta monument, which records the legend ofWilliarn ofNormandy (William the Conqueror) being forced by a Kentish army at Swanscombe to retain Kent's ancient rights in 1066. The monument began life in 1958 along theA2 (Watling Street - site ofthe legend). It was then moved to Swanscombe Urban District Council's offices in 1965 (after the A2 was widened), and then into a store after the council offices were demolished in 1989. Finally the stone was put into the churchyard for all to see.

47. Choir, St. Peter and St. Paul's church. The view dates from the 19 30s. The alter rails and alter are in their traditional position at the east of the church chance! although they now occupy a central site in the chance! following changes in 1971. The alter is wooden and dates from 1902 but it has a medieval stone alter top inserted into it. The organ on the left was installed by the Reverend Candy in the 187 Os and built by Henry Fineham of London - the organ has since been replaced by an electronic version. The scene is illuminated with gas lights (on right-hand side), and the pews were those installed in the restoration of 1873 but again replaced after the fire of 1902. This view remained large!y unchanged until internal alteration since the 1960s and 1970s.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek