Teesside and Old Cleveland / A Final Selection?

Teesside and Old Cleveland / A Final Selection?

Auteur
:   Robin Cook
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cleveland
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5650-9
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Teesside and Old Cleveland / A Final Selection?'

<<  |  <  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  14  |  >  |  >>

89. A beaeh view at Whitby, in 1906, before the pier extensions were built. Everyone remains fuUy dressed, although some of the ehildren have taken off their shoes and soeks!

90. An early postcard view from about 1908, of the top of Flowergate in Whitby, with the Abbey ruins in the distance on the East Cliff. The street is cobbIed and definitely quieter than nowadays!

91. A large fire at the corner of Bridge Street and Sandgate in Whitby, which completely destroyed the shop involvpd. The harbour bridge lies just off to the left of the postcard. Taken about 1910.

92. A splendid J.T. Ross postcard of Whitby fishermen repairing crabpots on the harbourside. Taken about 1908. The man on the left is obviously something of alocal character.

93. A charming Ross postcard trom about 1910, of young ladies gathering fishing bait musseis - trom the beach at Whitby. This activity was locally known as 'flither picking' .

94. A very interesting group of convalescing Belgian soldiers at Whitby, about 1916. Nuns, nurses and elegant ladies are included, and in the front row a man holds a very early teddy bear!

95. A Ross postcard from ab out 1910, of the tea gardens at Saltwiek, on the cliff top beyond Whitby Abbey. Picnic tables and children's swings can be seen at th is popular summer refreshment venue.

MAIN STREET, RUSWARP

96. An interesting eolleetion of large motor ears in the High Street at Ruswarp, near Whitby. A 1920's version of a loeal traffie jam!

97. A magnifieent loeal view of rep airs to the tramlines between Middlesbrough and Thornaby, along the 'Wilderness' road. A brief break is taken for the photographer, about 1910. The Imperial Tramways Company trams travelled along here between Norton and North Ormesby.

98. The splendid Erimus Hotel in 1905, which could be found on Middlesbrough Road, Thornaby, in the area of the Stockton Racecourse. The trams passed by here on the raad known as the 'Wilderness' . The landlord of the day was William Richley, and the postcard was sent by his daughters Florrie and Maud to a girl friend in Carlisle. Opened in 1875, the hotel was finally demolished in 1958.

<<  |  <  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  14  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek