Teesside and Old Cleveland / once more

Teesside and Old Cleveland / once more

Auteur
:   Robin Cook
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cleveland
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5215-0
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Teesside and Old Cleveland / once more'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

59. A charming evocation of the Edwardian period in rural England. A number of ladies in their finery pose for the camera in the grounds of Rounton Grange - home of Sir Hugh Bell - on 6 August 1906. A band plays to the right, but the nature of the 'exhibition' is lost in the mists of time.

60. Taken from the grounds to the re ar of lngleby Arncliffe Hall, on the occasion of a serious fire about 1912 which destroyed the upper interior of the building and the main roof. Two horse-drawn fire engines can be seen. The one on the left carries the name of Northallerton Urban District Council; the other belonged to the Rounton and Arncliffe Estates of the Bell family. The lake in the foreground proved very convenient for the firemen!

61. An interesting reflection on the industrial past of Osmotherley at Cote Ghyll. The building on the left, now a Youth Hostel, was Yeoman 's Yam Mill - part of the locallinen industry. In the foreground ean be seen linen thread skeins hanging in the bleaching grounds. Dating from about 1908. The mill closed in 1915.

62. An interested crowd gathers round the winner of the motor cycle hill climb on the Incline behind Swainby village, on 15 May 1927 - Frank S. Porritt. During the 1920's this was a popular venue for motor cycle and sportscar hill c1imbing. The motorcycle is a Francis Barnett, and the fields of Scugdale ean be seen in the background.

63. The boys of Whorlton (Swainby) school under gardening instruction from a young Herbert Brunton, the headmaster, who can be seen on the right. Taken ab out 1908, it reveals how Mr. Brunton managed to keep the schoolhouse garden in good order whilst j ustifying it as part of the curriculum!

64. A charming beckside scene in Swainby village in 1906, taken like many postcards in th is rural area by Stevens of Thirsk. Four young girls in their white summer dresses have been joined by two young men, in front of Plum Tree Cottage. The church spire can be seen in the distance.

65. Showing the other bank of this tributary of the River Leven in Swainby, some of the old ironstone min ers cottages in 'New Row' (built about 1870) can be seen on the right. Floor mats are been ai red on the beckside fence. The dirt roads and young trees contrast with the present day appearance.

66. A rare postcard view of the old wooden mission church in Potto village, built shortly befare 1900 against one of the old cottages at the road junction. A sm all bell hangs above the roof. An electrical fire totally destroyed this church on 7 September 1936.

67. Taken during the construction of Carlton in Cleveland Church, later to be dedicated to St. Boltoph on its opening in 1897. The building has almost reached roof height at the rear, where several of the workmen can be seen on the scaffolding. In the foreground lies some of the cut stone by the wooden shed.

68. A rare view of Sexhow station about 1902, with some of the staff posing on the platform. This was the nearest station to Carlton village and the stationmaster up to that date was Mr. Henry Eyles. The line trom Picton, through Sexhow to Stokesley and beyond, opened in 1855. It closed to passengers in 1954, and was taken up some years later.

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek