Teesside and Old Cleveland / once more

Teesside and Old Cleveland / once more

Auteur
:   Robin Cook
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cleveland
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5215-0
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Teesside and Old Cleveland / once more'

<<  |  <  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  >  |  >>

79. The Rosedale Mines closed in 1926, and this view dates trom the early 1920's. The railway engines were finally lowered carefully down the Ingleby Incline in June 1929, when the line was closed.

80. The hilI climb up the famous Rosedale Chimney Bank was very weIl known, particularly during the 1920's and 1930's. A motorcycle and sidecar nears the top of the bank about 1925. Some idea of the popularity of these events can be gained from the size of the crowd.

81. A fine view of Esk House Farm in High Farndale, belonging to the Wheldon family. A steam traction engine drives a circular saw, which is being used to cut wooden planks from trees. Probably taken in the 1920's, it may weIl showalocal woodcutting contractor, William Featherstone.

82. A Michael Heavisides photograph of the famous John Wood ploughworks at Fangdale Beck in Bilsdale, with an example of their work in the foreground. The loeal school children pose in the background, about 1903. Their school building lies on the left,

83. A rare Michael Heavisides photograph ofthe legendary John Wood, taken in 1920 at his smithy at Fangdale Beek. He was famous throughout the dales and the Vale of York for his designs and makes of ploughs and diggers. By this date some of his business had been transferred to Driffield, where the name still survives today.

84. An idyllic Bilsdale rural scene, probably taken behind the ancient farmhouse called 'Stingamires'. Michael Heavisides - the Stockton printer - used to stay there on summer holiday in the period 1900-1925, and this view dates from about 1905. The two young girls are probably two of his four children.

85. A fine view of Edwardian elegance at the Guisborough Parish Church Bazaar held in the grounds of the Priory on 21 July 1908. The old Grammar School can be seen in the distance between the tents, and the Priory ruins are on the right. The postcard was produced by George Page, alocal photographer.

86. An unusual advertising photograph of the staff at the Guisborough Laundry and Priory Dye Works. As the caption indicates - in September 1912 - their activities included feather dressing and carpet cleaning. The premises were situated in Northgate, and the manager was John G. Little.

87. An impressive but chilling view taken on 1 April 1917, following a severe snow storm which hit Redcar. The houses are along Coatham Road, looking towards the town eentre. Taken during the Great War, the postcard had to be passed by the Censor as having no military significanee. Ivy along the house fronts contributes to the snow effects.

ëhe Women's Ç/ass Court. Coatham Convalescent J{ome. ifeàcar.

88. Gracious living at the Coatham Convalescent Home, Redcar, about 1905. The Women's Glass Court appears to be a type of conservatory, with some very thriving plants in evidence. Three patients are supervised by a member ofthe staff, but the rocking horse looks a bit out of place!

<<  |  <  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek