Tenby in old picture postcards

Tenby in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   E. Skone
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Pembrokeshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3205-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Tenby in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Trafalgar Road about 1906. Carts and horse-drawn delivery vehic1es were in every day use.

10. Culver Park at the time of the coronation of King George V in 1911. Culver Park won the most prizes for the best flower decorations in Tenby. A plaque was awarded and can still be seen on one of the houses in the raad.

~":-'~.J

---

---:-

--

11. These houses in Chureh Park were at one time occupied by the eoast guards. This picture was taken in 1922. During the Seeond Wor1d War many of these homes were damaged by bombs dropped in the Reetory area.

12. Queens Parade showing allotments befare bungalows were built. During the last war Tenby's on1y air attack was in the ear1y hours on Sunday 12th October 1941 when four bombs were dropped in the Reetory area. One house in Queens Parade was destroyed.

13. Photo by Hassall of Tenby showing South CliffStreet. On the left was Coronation Gardens where shows were held most nights, Friday night being carnival night.

SOUTH CLIFF STREET. TENBY.

14. On 4th January 1906 W.H. Smiths, news agents, opened up a new paper shop in Warren Street. It was under the personal supervision of Mr. J.P. Davies who had previously ran the bookstall at the railway station. He took with him a large circ1e of loyal customers who continued to give him their support. In recent years W.H. Smiths have moved to the High Street and the building pictured is now the Roadrunner.

15. This passenger train has just left Tenby en route to Pembroke Doek in the early 1900s. Visible in the picture is the large rocky outerop known as Black Rock. The locomotive has just passed Blackrock Junction, the point where the through line to Whitland left the original line to the first Tenby station. A short spur ran off the latter line, near the junction, to serve a quarry and lime kilns. The footbridge visible in the picture can be seen from the present station, looking towards Penally. (picture by courtesy of Reverend M.R. Connop Price.)

16. Congregational Church in Warren Street. The buildings comprised a church, school room, class rooms and manse. The seating accommodation was for 850 but when necessary the shutters between the church and school room would be removed and the building enlarged to accommodate nearly a thousand people. The spire was added in 1908.

17. lust past 3 p.m. on a Tenby afternoon, Mr. Gunter's boot and shoe shop in the High Street and a lot of other things as well, It remained there as a shoe shop until after the Second World War and is now occupied by a green grocers.

18. St. Mary's Church is one of the finest and largest ecc1esiastical buildings in Wales. Built in what is known as Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles of architecture. The massive semi detached towers date from the fourteenth century. The spire which stands 152 feet high serves as a distinctive landmark for mariners. I t is bordered on the south side by an ancient entrance to the Town Hall and Goal.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek