Tenby in old picture postcards

Tenby in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   E. Skone
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Pembrokeshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3205-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Tenby in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. The Gratitude after the collision with the Firefly. The crew of the Gratitude got safely ashore, there was no one aboard the Firefly at the time.

40. Tenby has been noted for its fine fishing for centuries and was also well-known as a tra ding port. These are some of the fishermen's cottages near the harbour.

41. The annual bathing machine race which was organised by Beechams Pills. The winner received a prize of a years supply of Beechams Pills for himself and a friend.

42. These bathing machines on the South Sands were pulled down to the beach by Mr. Shanley's ponies.

43. Castle Sands, one of the safest and most fashionable bathing places in Tenby. Bathing machines and canoes were on hire. Bathing tickets 6d. each, canoes Is. the hour. T. Tucker, hair dresser and fancy dealer of 16-17 High Street, advert from Arthur L. Leach Guide to Tenby. A Mortimer Allen postcard.

44. This is a postcard sent in 1905 showing the band stand on Cast1e HilI which was demolished in 1940 for scrap iron to help the war effort. Musical performances were held daily during the season where it attracted large crowds of people.

45. The original three story structure was built as Sion House in 1890 for the Routh family of Tenby and designed by the famous architect John Nash. In 1919 it became Woofferton Grange and was run as a select girls school by the Misses Thompson. In 1935 it was turned into a private hotel which is now the site of Croft Court Flats that were built in the grounds in 1961.

46. Woofferton Grange after the fire on 24th March 1939 when firemen from Tenby, Pembroke and Haverfordwest were called out to fight the blaze. The cause of the fire was unknown.

47. The fire at Mr. W.A. Thomas, grocer and provision merchant, the Pioneer Stores in St. George's Street. A fire broke out on 8th November 1906 in the ear1y hours of the morning. The alarm bell aroused the whole town and the scene of the outbreak was visited by hundreds of people who remained until all the flames had been extinguished.

48. Old elm tree demolished on 31st May 1911. At one time it was surrounded by boundary walls and situated close to the town conduit. The peop1e who had to rely on the well would have to await their turn to draw water sitting on their cans. The War Memorial is now situated slightly to the rear of this scene.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek