Tenby in old picture postcards

Tenby in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   E. Skone
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Pembrokeshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3205-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Tenby in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. Fish for which the town was noted was sold largely in the streets. Tenby was anciently renowned for the large size and excellent quality of its oysters but excessive dredgings ruined the oyster beds. A Llangwm fishwife could of ten be seen in the streets offering oysters and prawns for sale after walking from Llangwm to Tenby. A Mortimer Allen card.

70. Jubilee Ground at the western end of the Esplanade where the rocky slopes were terraeed in 1887 to form a sma1l eliff garden as a memorial to the Jubilee. Here bands would play. Railings have now been erected with a slope leading to the beach. A children's playground now stands to the right of the picture.

71. Built 1929 for M.W. Shanly and housed a dance hall, cinema, skating rink, roof garden and amusement arcade. The Grand Opening Dance to ok place on 12th July and was attended by 200 peop1e. The cinema opening was de1ayed when the council failed to pass the plans. 'Stupendous Attraction Coming - the introduetion of talking pictures to Tenby' proc1aimed the banners when the cinema opened on 12th October with the talkie 'Leathemeck' plus 'Pathe Sound Gazzette' and two silent mms. On opening day there were five shows, from 10.30 a.m. and thereafter three shows a day. Customers reached the cinema from a covered overbridge illuminated at night by a festoon of coloured fairy lamps. The 'Tenby Observer' noted a great interest was taken by Tenby citizens. At the first session between 300 and 400 people were present, whilst in the evening the hall was packed. The Western Electric sound equipment is the last word in equipment. The seats are most comfortable, appointments are on a lavish scale. Mural paintings (all done by hand) are works of art, whilst a special feature are the lighting effects. A moon and stars are let into the ceiling and electrically illuminated producing a picturesque design. With a balcony the hall has a lofty and spacious appearance.

72. Market day when trading was allowed on a short stretch of High Street. Here people could bring in vegetables and butter to sell.

73. Quarry Cottages about 1906. The building at the end of the raad was the old slaughter house. During the Second World War it was used as Air Raid Precautions hut. Nowadays it is Craigs Dairy.

74. Valentines postcard showing a busy street scene. The old post office with telegraph pole befare it moved to Warren Street.

75. The Bay Hotel which is now a Tourist Information Centre and Guildha11.

POST CARD.

76. In 1902 letters posted before noon were delivered locally by the evening post. Miss Farley lived in the town centre and the post men didn't need the full address. Post codes were not needed for another sixty years.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek