Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1

Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Charles Hilton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Gloucestershire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2133-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Here is a match being played between members of the Tewkesbury Club round about 1910. The high yew hedge, 15 feet high and 15 feet thick, was originally planted to cut off the strong south-westerly winds blowing in from the Harn. The game of bowls is still a popular one in the district, but the ancient Bowling Green of the Bell Hotel is now awaiting development as a building site. Other facilities for bowling have been provided by the Municipal Authority in the Playing-field area beyond the Swilgate. Additionally, the hotel had a skittle alley, a game which was extremely popular in Gloucestershire. Town and village clubs joined area Leagues so that both home and away matches could be played for silver cups and otber trophies.

10. This procession, in 1897, to mark Queen Victoria's Jubilee, has ended in front of the stone-built National School in Church Street. People were now conscious of being at the heart of a great Empire, for pageantry on a large scale was taking place throughout its member states. The National School was founded in 1813 for 'the Education of the Po or in the Principles of the Established Church'. In 1885 it could accommodate five hundred boys and girls of varying ages, and one hundred and forty infants. Less than half that number attended as secondary education was not compulsory until1902. A bell-tower once stood on the site, and later came into use as the town gaol for a period of two hundred years. At a prize-giving in 1890, an Education Department spokesman, referring to new schools, said: 'Whenever I see a school founded I feel there goes another gaol.' As he was unaware of the school's history, he wondered why his audience tittered.

11. In addition to 1 ubilee processions, most towns, eities and villages in the country chose to express their loyalty and pride in more tangible and lasting ways, These included the planting of trees, erecting monuments, or building village cornmunity halls. Tewkesbury elected to lay out an attractive leisure garden on land between the New Avon and the Gloucester Road. In it was a fountain, newly-planted trees, a huge field-gun (the booty of some foreign battle), a f1agpole curiously placed on an artifieial island in the river, and cosy arbours. It was opened on June 22nd, 1897, bv the Mayor Mr. T.W. Moore. Opening hours were regulated by the Corporation, and bicycles were banned.

12. This further view of the Jubilee Gardens shows the field-gun won from the Russians in the Crimean Wars of 1854-1856. It was customary to place such booty in public gardens and parks, and it was not until the 1930s that the practice was generally discontinued. The bandstand was an integral part of the gardens, for the town band, or one invited from elsewhere, frequently played to an appreciative audience on Sunday afternoons and evenings, or on special occasions. Many of the young trees planted in 1897 are approaching their maturity today, but the upkeep and ex tent of the gardens as a whole have decreased in accordance with the changed habits of the community in this age of television and transistor radios.

13. To leave the Jubilee Gardens at its southem end is to be within a few yards of Lower Lode Lane where it branches off from the Gloucester Road. It leads to the Sevem. On the far bank stands the Lower Lode Hotel in a lovely rural setting. Until only a few years ago a ferry could be hailed for the cross-over. lt is a passage of ancient origin, being one of the main routes into Tewkesbury from the west. The last Abbot of Tewkesbury, who had his residence at Forthampton Court, a short distance from the hotel, regularly used it. Whoever owned the ferry usually let it on an annual basis. From 1840 onwards it has been in the Yorke family who owns Forthampton Court. The postcard shows it as it was in 1900. One tradition has it that Queen Margaret escaped this way after her defeat at the Battle of Tewkesbury,

14. This view across the Severn from the Lode Hotel would have been familiar to people of late Victorian and early Edwardian times for the photograph was taken at the very end of the 19th century. Parents and their children looked upon it as a favourite picnic spot. A journey across river by ferry for tea at the hotel was regarded as a great treat if the weather was unsuitable for a picnic. Today a substantial c1ub-boathouse stands in the bankside meadow. Nevertheless, it is still an attractive area, and the hotel can be reached from Forthampton vi1lage, or by boat, since the ferry is no longer in service. Incidentally, the word 'lode', according to some etyrnologists, owes its derivation to the 'reed-beds' along the river bank. Others say it comes from 'channel'. Ta the Sax ons, lade signified the name of a place where a small stream unloaded itself into a greater.

15. On returning towards the town, a visit to the scene of the bloodiest part of the Battle of Tewkesbury will help to conjure up in imagination the events of that day. The scene is 'The Bloody Meadow' lying to the right of the new road running between Warner's Garage and the new Borough Council Offices, only a !ittle way down the Gloucester Road to the right. A plaque provides details. Holinshed described the Queen's army as being entrenched behind deep ditches, hedges, trees, scattered bushes, and among cumbersome lanes. The ground was also soggy. Many booklets have been written about the battle, but a visit to the Town Museum in Barton Street will be rewarding as one large room is set out with a large se ale-model of the dispositions of the troops, their colours, and other details. The battlefield scene shown here, taken in 1900, has sin ce undergone some changes in detail, as a visit will revea1.

16. On walking towards the town from Jubilee Gardens we come to an old building in mellow brick. This is the Abbey Mill, and there is some evidence that a mill was worked here by the Benedictine monks as far back as 1190. Certainly the waters of the Avon were diverted to this point in those distant times to drive the water-wheels, In 1793 the mill was rebuilt, with four large water-wheels driving eight pairs of millstones. The mill seen here is of the early 19th century, when it still had fOUI wheels. By 1909, however, these had been reduced to three. In 1735, it was recorded that John Newman, four years old, feil into one of the wheels while it was turning, and was carried under and round without being hurt. Tewkesbury was Mrs. Craik's 'Nortonbury' in her nevel 'John Halifax, Gentleman', and the mill featured as 'Abel Fletcher's Mill'. It is now a restaurant specialising in Medieval banquets.

17. This second view of the Abbey Mill was taken from the Ham in 1910. The tumbril parked halfway across Mill Street indicates that very !ittle traffic passed that way. The whole town must have been quiet and peaceful, a quality of life sadly lacking today amid the constant noise of motor cars and lorries as they pass through the main streets. The river still had some commercial use, though in dec!ine. The sacks of wheat which the miller is surveying in the barge drawn up under the hoisting bay have probably come from local farms bordering the river, or from corn merchants with depots based at suitable points along the banks. Wheat was ground for flour to bake bread and, in addition, other grain, such as barley and oats, was ground into feedingstuffs for farm livestock.

18. The dominanee of the Norman tower of the Abbey is here seen to advantage. The brick building towards the right is the Abbey Mill. Some of the 17th century cottages to the left have been bricked over, so hiding their true origin. The cricketers, probably from one farnily, are setting their practice wicket on the Ham, a meadow of almost two hundred acres. At this time, 1900, the Ham was in private ownership. The Borough Council had been petitioned by parents on several occasions during the previous decade to make representations to the main landowner to reserve a portion of the meadow on which children could play cricket and football. The scene shows that the petitions had met with success. Access to the Ham was over a foet-bridge beside themill.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek