Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1

Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Charles Hilton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Gloucestershire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2133-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. The Abbey Mill and Mill Bank cottages are seen here as we look towards the tree-covered entrance to the Jubilee Gardens. One feature which meets the eye is the wooden-eased pump with its large trough carved out of solid stone. It served the people who lived in these cottages and all those living in Mill Street, round the corner. Many other such pumps were dotted about the town. In spite of the raised path, the well sometimes became poiluted when a high f100d came over the wall. In such a case, the necessity to boil the water before drinking it, was now much better understood since Louis Pasteur's discovery of the nature of germs some forty years previously had been widely disseminated. Even so, many water-borne comp1aints, such as dysentery and fevers, were still commonplace.

20. Between the Abbey Mill and the giant Borough Mil! is a mixture of old and new buildings. The old ones, such as these tanneries, are remnants of the days when their raw materials were unloaded from boats and barges. This area had been connected with tanning from Medieval times until weIl into the present century, when it ceased. The 'Halifax Works' were owned in 1890 by a firm of ironmongers, Messrs. King and Handley, and the name reflects the impact which Mrs. Craik's novel had on the community, for in the story they housed the tan-pits and tan-yards of 'Abel Fletcher'. T.B. Milner and Co. occupied the works in 1908 and converted them for use as general engineering and rep air-workshops. The firm also had a retail shop at 34, High Street, where they sold furnishings, ironmongery, sewing-rnachines, bicycles, and kitchen ware.

21. The effects of the mainstream of the Industrial Revolution of the 18th century and 19th century by-passed Tewkesbury, At the turn of the present century the many old, but comparatively small industries of former years, were already on the decline or had actually ceased. Viewed here from the Ham is the old industrial area beside the Avon, with its tan-yards, srnelly tan-pits, drying-houses, box-making workshop, warehouses, and repair workshops of various kinds. A few buildings are empty, but from the notice-boards attached to others it is evident that they have already been adapted for other purposes. Examples are Osborne's bicyc1e and motor car store, Milner's Metal Works, and a chemical depot. The swathes of cut grass which show up clearly on the Ham point to its ancient function, first to provide hay, and second to support cattIe and sheep on the aftermath.

22. This view of St. Mary's Lane gives a good impression of how some streets of Tewkesbury looked over eighty years ago, and of its old-world atmosphere which has not been entirely lost even today, though the uses to which some of the buildings have been put have changed. For in stance, the tall brick building at the right-hand edge is part of a group of three-storeyed 18th century cottages where stocking framework-knitters lived and worked. The stocking frame was an ingenious and complex machine made of iron, the invention of a Nottinghamshire clergyman in 1589. In 1810 the nurnber of frames being worked was 800; in 1819 they had fallen to 559, and in 1830 they rose to between 700 and 800, employing 1,500 people in the town as a whole. From then on the industry began a slow decline. The outward appearance of the cottages has been preserved after modernisation as dwellings in 1972.

23. After the 1914-1918 War there was a tremendous upsurge in road transport. New roads had to be built and old ones widened. Throughout the 1920s numerous small garages, with a repair workshop, were set up in towns and villages. Premises which had become defunct were adapted and equipped to serve the new need. The old premises above, formerly connected with a chemical industry down St. Mary's Lane, typify the new development that was taking place. (The tree on the chimney was much photographed as a novelty.) The Second World War saw an even greater resurgence of motorised transport, and numerous small garages either rnoved to better premises or closed down in favour of the large-se ale petrol station with well-equipped workshops. The cottages on the right still exist, pleasingly restored, but the garage and factory have been demolished to make room for a car park.

24. This 1920 view of Church Street, looking towards the Cross, shows several interesting buildings and street details. The large timber-framed house on the Ieft, at the corner of St. Mary's Lane, is Corner House. 1t used to be called the Old Curiosity Shop, and the artist, J.M. Turner, stayed there for a time. A little further on is the Royal Hop Pole Hotel, as popular in the 1920s as in the days of the stage coach. The timber-framed building on the right is Warwick House. The cars provide a eIue to the date of the scene for the one coming down the street and the one parked outside the hotel are 'bull-nosed" Morris tourers, with two seats and a 'dickey'. Motorists of long standing may wel! agree that it was one of the most reliable cars ever made. Gas lighting was already being phased out in favour of electricity in the streets.

25. This is Tewkesbury Quay, 1885, with the Borough Mill (Healings) in the background. Steam has not yet ousted sail, for the vessels shown here with their sails furled carried a fuU spread of canvas. They may be awaiting discharge of their wheat at the mill, or are getting ready to dep art after being loaded with bags of flour. The appearance of such river craft had hardly changed from the previous century. Three kinds ofvessel plied the Severn; smaU craft carrying up to six tons; barges or frigates from forty-sixty feet in length carrying up to forty tons; and larger vessels, sixty feet lang and sixteen-twenty feet wide, carrying forty-eighty tons, and known as Severn Trows. The mast of the largest trow was eighty feet high, and carried a large square sail.

26. The Borough Mil! (Healings), built in 1865 and considerably extended in 1889, was wholly reconstructed in 1976{77. Outwardly it typifies 19th century industrial architecture, but its interior is adapted for the most modern technological milling processes. lts siting conforms to the miller's traditional reliance on water-power to drive his rnachinery as wen as to make an economie use of water for transport of incoming wheat and outgoing flour. When the mill was built, steam-power was incorporated, and lasted until 1950, when it was superseded by electricity. In 1840 Tewkesbury Quay adjoining it had been connected to the Railway Station via Quay Street, and across High Street to Station Road. All the houses and buildings on the south side of Quay Street were pulled down to accommodate the Iines. In this photograph of the mill in the 1920s, a railway truck is discernible in the siding.

27. While swans and their cygnets may sometimes be found where the two rivers meet, compared with 1920, when th is postcard was produced, they are now confronted with many hazards. These include disturbance from the motor-powered boats of holiday makers, and the lead weights which fishermen 1eave in the water. The swans ingest the lead as they cannot differentlate if from grit, and lead poisoning follows, with fatal results. The single fisherman on the far bank makes a contrast with the coachloads of bustling fishermen from Mid1and towns who pour in today for week-end fishing competitions, lining the banks of both rivers at set points. The tug tied up was used for pulling barges laden with such cargoes as grain, flour, coal, coke, building stone and bricks, This traffic gradually faded away as lorries made deliveries more quick1y and cheap1y.

EWKESBURY. THE AVO

28. The transfer of pleasure craft from the Avon to the Severn, or vice versa, can be achieved at the loek immediately in front of the lock-keeper's house on the left. Several changes will be apparent to anyone walking along the towpath, shown here as it was in 1923. The culvert on the left has been filled in, and Bathurst's boatbuilding premises on the other side of King John's Bridge have been pulled down. Except when boats are using the loek, the river is still fairly tranquil in this area, but beyend King John's Bridge in the distance it is much busier. Yachts with a variety of coloured sails, and gay pleasure cruisers, brighten the landscape as they move between herds of black-and-white Friesian cows, and flocks of sheep, grazing in the meadows on either bank. A large marina in which craft can tie up for the night, or longer, is an additional facility just beyend the bridge.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek