Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1

Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Charles Hilton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Gloucestershire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2133-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. Ta return to King John's Bridge we then come to the Black Bear Inn on the corner where Mythe Road joins the High Street. Founded in 1308, it is reputed to be the oldest inn in Gloucestershire. lts exterior is largely 16th century, with alterations in the 19th century. The photograph shows it as it was in 1908. It has had continuous use as an inn or hostelry, combined at various times with collecting raad tolls and serving as a market house for farmers and merchants. In 1890 it was quaintly called Ye Olde Black Bear, at which time it was a favourite resort of anglers. The oid elm tree had notice boards attached to it directing travellers to Bredon and Pershare on the one hand and Malvern and Worcester on the other . .Just off the cobbled raad, by the tree, once stood the wooden stocks in which culprits were punished for petty offences.

S 3800

THE: OLO aLACK BEAA INN. TEWKESBURY

40. This quiet moment outside the Black Bear Tavern in 1897 shows a Jubilee celebration flag still in position. The large board over the eaves advertises Arnold Perret and Co's fine ales and stouts, and accommodation for cyclists and anglers. The latter, if they came from many miles away, usually stayed for at least one night at the Bear or in lodgings, unlike today's week-end fishermen who turn up on Saturdays or Sundays in fleets of motor cars or hired coaches. Children, befare the motor-age taak over, could earn an honest penny or halfpenny by holding a customer's horse. The buildings on the right, including the one with the arch, belonged to Bayliss and Merrel, brewers, and wine and spirit merchants. All of them have since been demolished to make way for gardens, in one of which customers of the Bear can now sit and drink on warm summer days and evenings.

41. On tuming the corner we come to the High Street frontage of the Black Bear. The sign shown here in 1890 depiets a chained bear, two tightly clasped human hands at the top, and the words, 'Let us drink at parting', ... possibly a more picturesque way of saying, 'Let's have one for the road'. On market days the corner was a busy one. Farmers would show their samples of corn to merchants in the street or over a drink at the bar of the inn, The inn was thus preferred to the official Corn Exchange further down the street. Cattie drovers also paused here for a quick thirst-quencher before going on to the market. Fleeces of wool for sale were piled at the corner of the street, and itinerant traders set out their wares under the tree. Horses were shod at the forge by the cottage, and the man in the leather apron, standing behind the horse, is the blacksmith.

42. Until 1914, it was not unusual for the children in small country towns and villages to be roused to a fever-pitch of excitement with the sudden advent of an itinerant showman, such as the one shown here with his drum and performing bear in Barton Street in 1900. The bear did a shuffling dance to the beat of the drum. When the showman had collected as many pennies, half-pennies and farthings as he cou1d expect, he moved on. It was hard1y a lucrative vocation. However, he was sometimes offered sweets and stale cakes for his bear which was muzz1ed because of its uncertain temper, so the two of them gained some sustenance in this way, There is a link between travelling showmen and the bear-baiting of Medieval and Tudor times, a practice introduced by the Romans. Bears were native to Britain during the first een tury of the Roman occupation.

43. As a result of Govemment legislation in 1661 and 1662, Nonconformists were prohibited from holding office in Church or State. Some of them therefore set up their own academies since they were also barred from Universities. The Tudor House Hotel, in the High Street, was founded as the Tewkesbury Academy in 1712 by the Reverend Samuel Jones who was educated at Leyden University in Holland. Although the Academy closed in 1719 it nevertheless produced some eminent theologians. One, Thomas Secker, later became Archbishop of Canterbury. The facade of the building dates from 1897, but its main structure is 17th century. John Moore, the writer, lived here during his boyhoed. In 1928 he began writing his books, based on the town and immediate neighbourhood. A natural history museum has been established in Church Street as a memorial to him.

44. The Town Hall in the background is one of the few stone buildings in the town. It was built in 1788 as a gift to the Corporation by Sir William Codrington. Originally it had a forecourt adjoining the street. Inside is a hall in which the old Quarter Sessions were held, and a spacious stone stalrcase leads up to a Banquetting Hall and the Council Chamber. The Town Clerk has his office here. The open forecourt was intended as a place to hold the Corn Market. In 1857, however, it was enclosed by a stone building in the Classical tradition. The Town Hall has always been the focal point for important Civic functions, such as this Proclamation ceremony of King Edward VII in 1901. All the Civic dignatories are gathered before an informal assembly of members of voluntary organisations and of the general public. Clothing fashions of the time make an interesting contrast with those of today.

45. Tewkesbury has for long had a flourishing range of societies and clubs. Just under seventy exist today, Among them is the Daffodil and Spring Flower Society, one of the oldest, The display shown here taak place at the Town Hall on April9th, 1913, againstthe background of the frontage of the building erected in 1788. Entries to the Show were from cottage gardens, and experts were called upon to judge the various classes. Little care was taken in the presentation of the blooms compared with the high standards achieved today, when amateurs come close to the standards of professionals. The official wearing the tricorn hat was the Town Crier of the day, attending upon the Mayor at the opening ceremony.

46. The Proclarnation of George V at the Town Hall in 1910 provides a contrast with that of King Edward nine years previously. The cerernony is a much more formal ene, with the voluntary organisations mustered in line, a detachment of the Gloucestershire Regiment drawn up with arms shouldered, and the general public craning their necks to see what is going on. The Mayor is wearing his chain of office, presented to the Corporation in 1878, and two officials are bearing the two maces which the town possesses. It is also interesting to compare the dress of men and women here with those worn at the last Proclamation.

47. By 1900, holidays by the seaside had become a regular part of the life of the middle classes and some of the working class, for the railways had opened up the coast to so-ealled 'trippers' and 'lodgers' as never before. After Queen Victoria died, the motor car began to make an even greater impact On the countryside and coast than the railways had ever done. lts effect was to annihilate distance and usher in a new era. This outing of the R.A.O.B. and their wives to the Wye Valley bears it out. They are setting out from the High Street in an early type of open charabanc whose solid tyres made it a real bone-shaker. As the engine of such a vehic1e was not always certain in its performance, it was not uncommon for the men to get out whenever a steep hilI was encountered to give it a push from behind ... all part ofthe day's adventure!

48. The Swan Hotel, or the Swan Inn and Tavern as seen here in 1890, used to be one of the busiest coaching inns in Tewkesbury. lts position in the High Street was very convenient for the thirty coaches which had a daily route into and through the town earlier in the century. With the coming of the railway to the town it at once provided a horse-drawn omnibus to meet all stopping trains to convey guests to and from the inn. lt was completely rebuilt in 1730, and the wide opening just under the balcony of the first-floor window was designed to take the large Hereford coach. Tickets were available at the double-gabled Coach House adjoining it. The Hotel has a fine Assembly Room on the first floor, and the balcony was frequently used by Presiding Officers at Parliamentary elections to announce the results. During the 1885 elections, riots in the street and damage to property caused the Corporation much concern.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek