Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1

Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Charles Hilton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Gloucestershire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2133-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Next to the Swan Hotel is a 17th century building known locally by a number ofnames. In the hey-days of the stage coach, it was the ticket office and depot for parcels. Hence its name of Old Coach House. With the advent of the railway in the 19th century, and the gradual demise of the stage-coach, it was eventually closed as a ticket office. By 1891 it had become an ironmonger's shop, a function it fulfilled until recently. A second name for it came about when a break occurred in its gable ridge, causing the twin gables to drop and move forward. They were secured in this position, and the name of Nodding Gables became popular.

50. It is noticeable that the Nodding Gables has now acquired a golden key as a trade sign. It was therefore erected between 1891 and 1903, the respective dates of the two photographs of it. FIOm this circumstance has arisen its third name of The Golden Key. After thorough renovation, the building has become the local branch office of the Halifax Building Society. The key may still be regarded as an appropriate symbol, for a mortgage obtained from the society will provide 'the key of the door' for a new home. The building adjoining it on the left was the office of The Tewkesbury Register and Gazette, an old-established and popular local newspaper. It is published today as the Tewkesbury Journal, with its branch office on the other side of High Street.

51. The Wheatsheaf Inn, situated in High Street, with its central projecting bay windows through the upper floors, and surmounted by an ogee-shaped gable, is mainly 16th century. The side entrance has a doorway with Early Renaissance carving in the spandrels, and there is a wealth of timber throughout the interlor. As with so many taIl houses, its upper storey was not used; hence its somewhat run-down appearance. It had a skittle alley at the rear, and this was well patronised. A large room was also available for private and public functions. The Primrose League used it in the 1890s, and it is said that the Independent Englishman's Friendly Society was founded here. The Wheatsheaf cIosed as an inn in 1956. Mr. F.L. Key, whose name is displayed on the sign-board, was the landlord for only a short time, 1891 to 1892. According to Gardner's Visitors Guide of 1890, the Old Theatre entrance was at the Wheatsheaf.

52. The business of Hayward and Sons, ironmongers and cutlers, was founded in 1820. It exists today as the oldest family business in the town. The photograph shows it in 1900. In 1890, an advertisement gave its location as 'at ye signe of ye locke in High Streef. Distinguishing signs were adopted by various trades, a legacy of the time when much of the population was illiterate and so were helped by this kind of visual aid. The interest in the picture is in the display of wares, the wooden items of which are craftsmanmade. The window on the left is devoted to equipment for games - long-handled tennis racquets, tennis balls, golf-balls, 'woods' for bowls, croquet mallets, and cricket scoring books. This was the age of iron, and it can be seen from the display which wares have now given way to plastics. The bicycle boom brought much business and the paraffin lamps on the two for sale are now museum pieces.

53. Opposite the Nodding Gables stands Clarence House, with triple overhang, continuous ten-light mullioned and transomed windows, and a central projecting bay, It dates from the 15th century or earlier, but was altered in Tudor times. lts name is derived from the belief that it was here that the Duke of Clarence helped to plan the Battle of Tewkesbury in 1471. He is said to have met his death by drowning in a butt of Malmsey wine. Clarence House once matched the Nodding Gables by having its own two gables, but as the result of a fire they were replaced by the deeply moulded cornice with carved modillions. The newspaper flysheet at the newsagents next door tells us that Mr. Joseph Chamberlain was being questioned in Parliament and that the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, was in Edinburgh.

54. As we look towards the Cross in this scene of 1890, the state of the street, with its cobbled gutters and potholed surface, teils its own story. Horse-drawn carriers were always available at the Swan Hotel, adjoining the Nodding Gables. The heavy, twowheeled cart parked outside the coach entrance, stands in front of a four-wheeled vehicle used for large loads. The goeds piled near the pavement on the left are either awaiting collection or have already been delivered. Carriers covered the Tewkesbury and Cheltenham area as weil as most of the villages round about. Public houses and hotels were the usual points at which they could be contacted.

55. High Street joins Barton Street and Church Street at the Cross, from which point this photograph was taken in 1890. The road surface is cobbled in sections, and the riders on horseback could almost be said to give the street the atmosphere of the American west were it not for the character of the houses on either side. Certainly it is still the age of the horse, with life proceeding at a leisurely pace. The street is lit by gas supplied from the holder of the Tewkesbury Gas Works, established in 1833. The clock over the old Post Office was presented to the town in 1883 by Alderman C. Smart to mark his mayoralty. Several of the tewn's oldest and most interesting houses are to be found in this street. The bicycle on the right was a popular model at this time, with the rider sitting between the wheels.

56. This view down the High Street, taken a year or two later, is typically Victorian. There are two 'fire-marks' on the wall between the windows of the briek-built shop on the left. They were an indication that the premises were insured with the company which put them th ere, and that their fire-engines would be sent if a fire broke out. The magnificent timber-framed house beside the old post office clock is Cross House. Traditionally it is said to have been the Court House of the Lords of Tewkesbury. A good deal of it is 15th century but changes were made in Tudor times. lts doorway, entrance hall, oak-staircase, and panelled rooms are mainly of the Elizabethan era. The ancient Cross, from which the house took its name, stood in the open space close by, marking the site of the llth century market. In 1650 the Cross was pulled down to fill a gap made in the Long Bridge by floods.

57. This further view of the High Street shows, on the left, the two-gabled Victoria Coffee Tavern, established in 1878, the tall two-gabled Cross House, and the Nodding Gables. Imagine holding a conversation in the middle of the road today as the men are doing here in 1889! The horse-drawn cab outside the Swan Hotel was available to take guests to and from the railway station at any time of the day or night. In all probability the man with his back to the dog is a drover, for cattle and sheep were collected from the farms and driven to the Wednesday markets. After their sale they had to be driven to their several destinations. By reputation drovers were hard-drinking, rugged characters, known to farmers and the landlords of public houses for miles around.

58. From the reign of Charles II to the early Georges, Coffee Houses were the een tres of sociallife in big cities and towns in England. They served the same social function as that of the public house or club today, Political, foreign, and commercial news became available through News Sheets brought in by runners from the Press. During Vietorian and Edwardian times, in small towns such as Tewkesbury, the Coffee House was a more general-purpose place. The one on the left, at the Cross, with its swinging sign, sold other drinks as well as coffee, and provided chops and steaks for sit-down meals. It was a favourite meeting place for farmers' wives on market days. The house advertised 'well-aired beds, fresh home-made paste cakes daily, and good accommodation for tourists and commercial travellers, with home comforts'. The subscription for the Reading Room, with its wide range of newspapers and journals, was four shillings per annum.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek