Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1

Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Charles Hilton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Gloucestershire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2133-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Tewkesbury in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. Here is Barton Street branching off to the right of Church Street at the Cross. (Incidentally, Barton Street was so-called in 1257 from the barton or farmyard of the Earls of Gloucester.) The 20th century is still some fifteen years away as the characters in the street go about their business of shopping, gossiping, or watching time pass by. The timber-framed building down Barton Street was, and still is, known as the Mustard House, for this commodity was once well-known all over the country. Shakespeare, in Henry N, causes Falstaff to say of Poins, 'his wit is as thick as Tewkesbury mustard'. The seed was grown locally, pounded into flour in iron mortars, sifted, mixed with a cold infusion ofhorse-radish, and stirred til! it formed a paste. lts manufacture was revived elsewhere in the town in 1971.

60. J.W. Tysoe's cheese warehouse was well stocked in 1908, a sight no longer to be seen in Tewkesbury, Apart from his wholesale trade, Tysoe also ran a high-class retail grocery business at 5, Barton Street. He stocked all the famous British cheeses as wen as those from the Continent, so there was a wide choice. Double Gloucester was alocal cheese, highly favoured for its creamy mellowness and distinct 'bite' if properly matured. It was the usual practice among retaiIers to offer their customers a smal1 piece of cheese, scooped from a whole one, as a tempting 'taster', knowing full wen that it would produce an order. With the advent of self-serving supermarkets this kind of personal service has ceased, for now a whole cheese is cut in advance into pieces of varying weight which are then wrapped and put on display.

61. In 1890, Tewkesbury's fat and store eattle market was held fortnightly on alternate Wednesdays by Mr. George Hone and Messrs. Moore and Sons, Mr. Hone also had a commodious saleyard near Trinity Church, At the upper end of High Street, a publie house, well patronised by farmers and others on market days, sported a sign which read, 'Beer sold by the Pound'. (The pound, adjoining the public house, was an enelosure for impounding eattle.) The seene above, in May 1927, is of Mr. George L Hone selling sheep at his new market on the old site near Trinity Church, The opening eeremony had been performed by Sir Thomas Davies, M.P., only a few minutes earlier, and it obviously had good support by farmers from the neighbourhood. When the market closed down in 1967, the town lost one ofits most attraetive and historie features.

62. The machinery for this Merry-Go-Round, or Galloping Harses as it was alternatively called, was a product of the engineering works of Walker and Sans, at the Oldbury. The machine is at its usual standing place for the Tewkesbury Fair of 1914. Steam-driven Merry-Go-Rounds had come into use at British fun-fairs in the 1860s. Swing-boats followed, and switch-back railways driven by steam were introduced in the 1880s. The Oldbury firm saw the potential for this kind of engineering line, and had the means to exploit it for several years. Since then, these machines have become a traditional ingredient of fairs, though for the teenage population in this space-age much more stomach-turning contraptions have been introduced.

63. Thomas Walker was described as a millwright and machinist in Kelly's Directory of 1876. In 1885 he established the Oldbury Iron Works in the town, and advertised himself as a general engineer and contractor. This was the scene on the morning of September 3rd, 1908, after a disastrous fire had broken out during the night. A spectacular fire always draws a crowd of sightseers, as was the case here. Some families had to be temporarily evacuated from adjoining houses because of the danger. The town had had a fire service since 1756, when two fire-engines were purchased by a general subscription. Although their equipment was up-dated from time to time, by modern standards it was inadequate for a major blaze such as this, Nevertheless, the firemen were successful in preventing extensive damage to ether property.

64. As soon as the fire had been completely put out, the proprietor and his manager had the heart-breaking experience of assessing the damage. It was very great. However, the firm recovered, for in 1914 it was building racing cars, steel observation towers, and all kinds of fair-ground machinery, including forty-five feet high chutes. The French were among its best customers. Fairground people usually preferred to buy machines painted in one colour only, so that they could then decorate them in the traditional fairground colours, an art form akin to that found among gipsies, and among canal and river people who lived on, and worked, the long boats.

65. The Memorial Cross for the men of Tewkesbury who lost their lives in the Great War of 1914-1918 was erected in 1920 on the site of the ancient Cross which was pulled down in 1650. The view is down Church Street. Ye Olde Willow Café on the right was a popular eating p1ace. It advertised accommodation for cyclists who made Tewkesbury one of their stopping points during some of their long week-end tours, a popular leisure activity of the 1920s. Family shops lining both sides of the street will be remembered by older people as generally providing an efficient and personal service to their cu stomers. Lyons tea vans, and those of Brooke Bond, each in their distinctive colours, were a familiar sight on the streets of English towns as they made their deliveries.

66. Looking down Church Street from the Cross, many interesting buildings meet the eye. No less interesting are the various actlvities and objects in the street. The gentleman's two-wheeled bicycle had become popular by the year 1900, but in wet weather the rider became covered in mud because it had no mudguards. The notice on Ye Olde Berkeley Arms lnn advertises 'Accommodation for Cyclists', a reminder that cyclists' clubs were all the rage. As never before, the bicycle was a means by which both men and women were able to explore the countryside round about, or venture to greater distances. The horse-drawn milk-float by the inn will be remembered by many people even today. The milkman carried a can which he could replenish from a larger one. He ladled out pints and half-pints of milk into his customers' jugs put out on their doorsteps. The horse-drawn caravans may be the Fair coming to town.

67. This view of Church Street from the Cross clearly shows the transition between the age of the horse and that of the motor car. The shop adjoining the Victoria Coffee House belonged to the American Meat Company whose cheaper products were already having severe repercussions on British agriculture in general and upon livestock producers in particular. Cheap food from abroad brought about the most severe depression in agriculture, throughout the 1920s and 1930s, that this country has ever known. Since the Second World War, however, the necessity to grow more food here at home has brought about a measure of prosperity and stability to our agricultural industry, even if food is no longer as cheap as in the 1920s and 1930s.

68. In the 18th century and early 19th century the Hop Pole Royal Hotel was a busy coaching inn. During the late 18th century its frontage of three storeys was bricked over and has sin ce been painted. The porch over the pavement was built when the entrance for coaches was converted into a vestibule and reception area. It still had 'Stabling and Loose Boxes' inscribed on its front edge when this photograph was taken. Although coaching had declined, private journeys were still made by horse-and-trap or on horseback, so stabling was still a useful service. There is a plaque on the wall near the entrance which reveals that as a coaching inn it had a link with Charles Dickens who used it as a setting for some of his larger-than-life characters in Piekwiek Papers.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek