The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter N. Rogers
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3182-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

9. The 'Foresters Arms', one of the five public houses sited in this street, also incorporated the oyster shop seen in the picture and it is probable that in the days of cheap food and drink, the trades were complementary to each other. The building is no longer part of North Street, but its vacant space is used as a car park almost next door to the 'Perseverence' public house.

10. The 'Foresters Arms' of the previous picture has, by 1914, become a pair of houses, one ofwhich is also a boot and shoe shop. lts neighbour with the dormer window still exists in Havant's North Street and currently trades as a Chinese 'take-away' food shop. The cottages south of the church have given way to Elm Road but, in this postcard, are part concealing the 'Empire Cinema' which was originally sited here before the present cinema was opened in East Street in 1936.

11. The upper part of North Street with the 'Perseverence' public house on the immediate right, its next door neighbour being the former 'Foresters Arms', Sited opposite at this time, circa 1910, is the town market which, having had several unsuccessful locations over many years, finally established itself here in the early years of this century and remained in business until the 1950's.

AY CROSSlNG.:

12. The North Street railway crossing in 1906 showing Leigh Road stretching away towards distant Rowlands Castle. This was, of course, the main Havant to London Road and carried coaches, waggons, carts and, by this time, the occasiona1 motor car, though it is doubtful whether in those early years that this crossing experienced the volume of traffic which now occurs daily at the other two crossing barriers which still remain in use locally.

13. Havant railway station in 1927 bears little resemblance to that of the present day, The only features remaining are the New Lane signal box and cottage seen here, left and right in the foreground. The station buildings and platforms were replaced in 1938, and, in more recent years, the coal and goods yards have been elosed making provision for a commuters car park. In the distance behind the steam locomotive are the crossing gates which were sited at the upper end of North Street giving access to Leigh Road; the removal of these gates and the subsequent extension of buildings and platforms made each road a cul-de-sac and considerably altered the traffic flow through Havant.

14. This undated postcard of Havant Railway Station taken befare the rebuilding of 1938, shows the Hayling Island train standing at the left-hand platform and the crossing gate which gave access to North Street from Leigh Raad in the centre of the picture. All the buildings, platforms and canopies seen here were demolished in the pre-war redevelopment.

15. A postcard which has suffered greatly with age shows Havant railway station in 1904. Completed by 1847, it was improved and partially rebuilt in 1889, followed by a complete reconstruction in 1938. Although of a poor quality, this picture is included as an essential contribution to Havant's pictorial past.

16. Until the construction of Park Road South in the years prior to the Secend World War, South Street was the only route to Hayling and, consequently, this small thoroughfare carried, for over one hundred years, all the vehicular traffic to and from the island.

17. This largely residential street, now a cul-de-sac, housed three of Havant's public houses, and one of them, "I'he Old House at Home', is seen on the left of the picture. lts claim to be the oldest domestic building remaining in Havant is probably correct, although the date of 1339 displayed on its fa├žade almost certainly pre-dates the premises by 200 years. Several buildings in the town contain Tudor work and timber framing but 'The Old House at Home' remains the only structure with a complete outward appearance in the Tudor style.

18. A reverse view of South Street shows 'The Old House at Home' to be a near perfect example of a sixteenth century, timber framed building and, although lacking its original tbatched roof, it still remains Havant's most picturesque property, The railings on the right are those which surrounded the graveyard of St. Faith's church which, because of its thousands of burials over many centuries, bas gradually assumed a height of, perhaps, one metre or more above the pavements.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek