The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter N. Rogers
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3182-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

19. Part of the tewn's commercial centre, East Street was, and still is, home to many professions as weU as a number of shops and licensed premises. The tewn's post office was sited here in the early years and was the building which is seen behind the window cleaner's ladder.

20. A reverse view of the previoĆ¼s location shows buildings whieh, in 1985, are almost all still in situ. Some perhaps have had a1terations made to the lower shop fronts but evidenee of this earlier period ean still be seen if one glances at the upper stories.

21. A very old picture of 'The Brown Jug' in East Street, Havant, shows an early steam driven brewers dray on what is obviously delivery day. Note that the wheels on the vehicle are of solid iron and of a type which were used on steam rollers. In later years, the wheels would have had a rubber surface fitted, thus lessening the noise and the wear on the roads. Todays' veteran and vintage vehicle enthusiasts could probably delight in telling us the make of this waggon and, from its number plate, its year of registration.

22. A second, and later, picture of 'The Brown Jug' which a1though still an early photograph bears little resemblance to the premises shown on the previous page. Gone are the casement windows and the tile-hung frontage, and although basically the same building, the only recognisable feature is the Brown Jug hanging over the pavement. In what was apparently a popular sport at the time, alocal cyeling organisation is seen meeting at what must have been the club premises, as testified by the shield bearing the letters C.C. displayed on the upper wall.

23. The principal buildings of West Street in 1919 were the Post Office and the Capitol and Counties Bank. In 1985, the public are still being catered for at the bank which has long since changed its name; the Post Office building, however, is now a branch of a national chain of domestic electrical retailers, the G.P.O. having moved to new premises in East Street in 1936. The familiar figure of the duty traffic polieeman can be seen near the 'White Hart' publie house. He is featured in his white cap and gloves in many photographs of the period, for it must be remembered that this was Havant's major crossroads and, while it appears to be a quiet junction, it became neeessary to install traffie lights here in the 1930's.

24. It is probable that the sound of the post-hom was heard here in the nineteenth century when the post coaches bound for Portsmouth and Chichester stopped at the 'Dolphin', a popular coaching inn and hotel. The 'Dolphin' contributed to the character of West Street for at least 150 years until it was demolished to make way for a shopping arcade in 1958. In its heyday the inn boasted extensive stabling and coaching facilities and had its own bowling green.

25. A familiar sight in Havant, the 'Street Parade'. In this instanee in 1907, the object is to collect money for the la cal hospitals. The town fire brigade and police force were always evident at these events and contributed a military thoroughness with their discipline and polished brasswork. lt was almast certain1y a Sunday when this parade took place judging from the 'Sunday best' clothing wam by all those present.

26. Havant was weil known for its parchment making industry, The availability of fresh spring water from the chalk downs and the skins of sheep that grazed on these downs, established the industry in this area as early as Roman times. It is said that Magna Carta was written on Havant parchment. In the picture, skins are being soaked in a time/water solution, one of the many processes involved in the manufacture of parchment.

27. The demolition of the old 'Town Mill' in 1958, robbed Havant of the last of the many water mills for which the area had long been famous. The mil1s gradually closed as progressive industrialists introduced machinery and methods which made obsolete the local giants which had contributed to the districts well being for probably a thousand years. Closed in 1934, this mil!, together with the mill pond, was finally removed in 1958, to make possible the road improvements necessary to the rapidly growing town of Havant. At the time of writing a very small part of the mill pond still exists near "Ihe Dolphin' public house and the brickwork which housed the mill wheel and race ean be found among the massive bridge building works taking place to create a flyover at the Langstone Roundabout.

28. Fifty years before the by-pass came to Havant, this was a part of the main east-west road. The house in the immediate right foreground has since gone, making way for the grounds of the Portsmouth Water Company which, together with its modern offices, accounts for much of West Street's south side. The continuing terraces of houses on the right still remain but the pale coloured building seen opposite, which was once Havant's Union Poor House, has, with the adjoining Police Station, long since been removed.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek