The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter N. Rogers
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3182-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

29. The early history of the Roman-Catholle faith in the Havant district is particularly interesting and deserves more space than has been given here. The building of St. Joseph's in West Street was the culmination of two centuries and more of efforts by the Roman-Catholic community to establish for themse1ves a sound and permanent p1ace of worship. Meetings had been conducted in virtua1 secrecy in the early years and there is evidence that as late as 1733, upper floors of adjoining cottages at Langstone had been fashioned into a chapel. This was followed, again in the eighteenth century, by a move to Brockhampton where, similar1y, cottages were converted to form a chapel. These premises however, were soon outgrown and a conventional mission was built. With a continually growing population, there was eventually a need to establish a larger church in the district and St. Joseph's, with its adjoining presbytery and schoolfor sixty pupils, was built in 1875.

30. This postcard, dated Christmas 1910, complements the photograph on the previous page and is a delightful study of the period, showing clergy leaving St. Joseph's Roman-Catholle church in Havant.

31. Leigh Park, once a large country estate but sold to Portsmouth Corporation for development as a new town in post-war years, was the seat of Sir George Staunton. It was a later owner, however, William Stone, who had this mansion built in 1863. The grounds had been designed and Iandscaped by Sir George and became what could only be described as a Botanical Garden, containing trees, shrubs and plant specimens from all over the world. The lake contained artificial islands together with ornamental bridges, and the random buildings within the grounds depicted the styles of China, Turkey, Ancient Greece etc. The house shown in this picture was demolished in 1959 but the very attractive gardens are open to the public and contain among other things an educational farm trail where rare species of domestic farm animals may be seen,

32. This situation, while probably not uncommon in 1906, would not be allowed to take place today, for although the crossing is still in use, it has a continental barrier system which would allow livestock to scatter along the live rails if panicked. The farm cart seen in the background is possibly making for the 'Golden Lion' where the driver could indulge in a liquid lunch? - the shadows indicate that it is probably midday!

33. New Road, Bedhampton, narrow by today's standards, was built, at his own expense, by Sir George Staunton, the owner of the Leigh Park Estate, probably to relieve the tedium of being forced to tra vel through the streets of Havant and then having to wait to negotiate the railway crossing pictured here. The motor vehicles in the background, although indistinct, are of a 1930 vintage and the horse-drawn bakers cart is delivering bread for its owners Messrs, Smith and Vosper of Portsmouth.

34. Public houses and church buildings then, as now, often appear to be placed close together; a moral judgement on each other perhaps, in the days of the temperanee movements at the turn of the century. Bedhampton's main road, over a very short distance, could boast several of each, and although the 'Wheelwrights Arms' shown here has long since ceased to trade, the 'Golden Lion' on the far side of the church remains today as a licensed house.

35. Viewed from the opposite direction, and at a later date, the 'Golden Lion' is the only public house now in sight. The 'Wheelwrights' has removed its sign and become a private dwelling thus making the distant 'Belmont' the next oasis for the thirsty traveller.

36. The old Bedhampton Mill was sited a short distance north of the present Bedhampton to Havant by-pass. Although it was demolished many years ago, its mill house can still be seen alongside of the water course which provided its motive power. There has been a long tradition of rnilling locally and at one time Bedhampton could boast two corn mills and a fuiling mill. The district is very well served with freshwater springs and the Portsmouth Water Company gather much of their supply from the area.

37. Visitors to "The Elms' at Bedhampton could be forgiven for thinking that this was the Manor House. lts rather grand appearance makes it the most impressive building in the village, containing as it does a diversity of styles quite out of keeping with the local architecture. It was the home of Sir Theophilus Lee who, it is claimed, was a relation of the Duke of Wellington. Relation or mere friend, this national hero is said to have been entertained here following his success at Waterloo. The family chapel, which had been designed by the Adam Brothers in 1760, was converted for the occasion and the beautiful 'Waterloo Room' as it was called is now a feature of the house. (The Manor House in its traditional English country style is a near neighbour of 'The Elms.)

38. Constructed in the first half of the twelfth century, the Church of St. Thomas probably replaced the Saxon centre of worship which was known to have existed in Bedhampton at the time of the Domesday Survey of 1086. The chancel arch is the oldest remaining feature of the Norman building, the chancel itself being rebuilt and extended in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries; it is possible, also, that the nave contains some elements of the Norman period. In 1982 the village celebrated what was considered to be the 850th anniversary of the present church.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek