The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter N. Rogers
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3182-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

39. A short distance from Bedhampton village on the lower slopes of Portsdown Hili is this fortress like house 'The Towers'. Previously called 'Belmont Castle' a Havant street directory for 1926 reports that Queen Elizabeth slept here on several occasions. Whilst that claim must be in doubt it would at least account for the appearance of a 'Tower of London' type building in rural Hampshire!

40. Like its near neighbour 'The Towers', 'Belmont House' also boasted a royal visitor, for it is c1aimed that Queen Victoria stayed here when young, Belmont Park's most well-known claim to farne was during the Second Wor1d War when it became host to the Royal Navy. The grounds provided hutted accommodation for the overcrowded and bomb damaged naval establishments of the area.

41. The gates and Iodge to the Belmont Park Estate stood near to the present Maylands Road and very close to the new 'Belmont' public house. The Lodge, and indeed Belmont House itself, have been demolished in the development of Bedhampton and a modern housing estate has taken their place swalIowing up the adjoining park and farmlands.

Bedhampton

42. The lower slopes of Bedhampton Hili present a lazy summer picture of a scene long past. The original 'Belmont' public house was the last building on the left and Coldrnans Store and Post Office, the larger property on the right. The wall and trees in the centre of the picture are obscuring the gates and lodge of 'Belmont Park'.

.l3edhampton Villa ge.

43. Brookside Road in 1911, is viewed from its junction with Bedhampton Hill. Unfortunately, the thatched cottages wbich contributed to tbis rural scene have long since been removed, as has Coldman's corner shop which was demolished in 1971. A forward looking Havant Borough has sin ce declared Old Bedhampton to be a conservation area with the hope that the village will now remain undisturbed by any future planning.

44. An oasis on the Havant to Portsmouth Road was this spot at the foot of the Portsdown and Bedhampton Hills, adjacent to the old 'Belmont' public house. Here, both horses and drivers cou1d rest and satisfy their thirst before tackling the long haul to Portsmouth or perhaps to the top of Portsdown Hill. Coldman's shop and Post Office can be seen opposite on the corner of Brookside Road.

7z,-a.r Portsmouth,

45. The Church of St. Andrewat Farlington, pictured here in 1905, served a community stretching from the shores of Langstone Harbour, north over Portsdown to Waterlooville. Until the building of St. George's at Waterlooville in 1831 and St. John's at Purbrook, which was consecrated in 1858, parishioners from these rural areas would have had to attend services at Farlington. The situation was further eased in 1874, when John Deverell of Purbrook funded the building of Christchurch at Portsdown. Unbelievably, the road seen in this postcard view was, until the building of the Farlington by-pass in the 1960's, the main south coast road.

46. Havant Rural District's inf1uence over Drayton and Farlington extended, untill932, as far as this point on the A27 road, The 'New Inn', seen on the right, faces a terra ce of shops which, in a different guise, still form part of Drayton's shopping centre. Drayton Lane is the obscure turning near the row of white posts and it was this lane, reaching both up and down Portsdown Hill which marked the boundary between Portsmouth and the Havant Union and Rural District. At the time that this postcard was produced in 1914, the Borough of Portsmouth was contained within the Island of Portsea and did not extend its boundaries to include Cosham untill920. It was twelve years later, on 1st April 1932, that the City of Portsmouth established its new and present boundary near Reetory Avenue in Farlington.

47. Farlington Railway station was the scene of this crash in July 1894, when the coaches of a westbound train ran into its derailed brake van, killing the guard and injuring several passengers. The station had been built to serve the Portsmouth Park Racecourse which was opened in 1891.

48. Built in 1891, this was the grandstand of the 'Portsmouth Park Club', a large racecourse which was established on the marshes of Drayton and Farlington. The site of the grandstand can be located at the lower end of Station Road, Drayton, just over the railway line where a footbridge gave access to Farlington railway station and the racecourse. The course had mixed fortunes over the years until it was taken over by the War Department in 1915 for use as an ammunition dump and vehicle park. Racing never again took place here, so bringing to an end Havant's association with the 'sport of kings'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek