The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter N. Rogers
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3182-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

49. The 'Oyster House', built in 1819, near Ware Point on the Farlington Marshes, was home to the Russell family who were well known oyster fishermen in Langstone Harbour. The property, which was also known locally as the 'Black House' or the 'Lone House', occupied almost all of the tiny off shore island on which it was built. The picture illustrates the almost totallack of foreshore surrounding the building and the attempts which were made to fend off the ravages of high water with wooden stakes almost in the form of a palisade. Damaged by a German bornb during the Second World War, the house was finally demolished in about 1950. The Russell family had a virtual monopoly of the loeal shell fish industry. They owned two houses at the Milton Locks in Portsmouth and were the proprietors of the 'Winkie Market' in Langstone High Street.

50. In 1932, the Portsdown Petrol Filling station at Widley had the appearance of a film set in a developing Texan township! lt was, and still is in its modern form, sited on the A3 on the northern slopes of Portsdown Hill. In those early years, petrol was hand cranked into the glass containers at the top of these 'lighthouse like' dispensers, then delivered by gravity into the customers motor cars. If the cost of petrol was too prohibitive, one could always board the local tramcar which conveniently passed the garage!

51. Commencing in 1903, the Portsdown and Horndean Light Railway ran a service from Cosham to Horndean and although it was proposed to extend the routes to both Petersfield and Hambledon these plans were never carried through. This photograph taken in 1903, shows car number five in mint condition, complete with curtains and newly decorated body panels in the company colours of cream and emerald green. There was seating for 21 in the lower saloon and 33 on the top deck.

52. This incident, south of Purbrook village, illustrates the problem faced by other road users when confronted by a P. & H.L.R. tramcar. The track between Waterlooville and Portsdown lay in the middle of the highway and dominated the road, sometimes to the exclusion of other vehicles, Here, however, the limited width of the road is sufficient and the situation is not as hazardous as it looks.

Stakes Hili Roa( Purbrook.

53. This unusual building, 'Fir Lodge', ean still be seen at the junction of Stakes Road, Ladybridge Road and Park Avenue, but the country lane bas now beeome a major road serving the built up area whieh was onee a beautiful part of Purbrook. The house has a strange story in that it was onee a chapel built by Squire Deverell in an eec1esiastical feud between the ReverendRichards of Farlington and. himself. Christehureh, at Portsdown, was later endowed by Deverell as a direct resu1t of the bittemess whieh existed between the two men.

54. Purbrook Park House, photographed in 1930, was built as a country seat for John Deverell and replaced an earlier property, which had been built in 1770. The estate purchased in 1837 and developed by Squire Deverell amounted to about 600 acres and the new house was its hub having three carriage drives approaching from different directions, Built during aperiod when classica! styles were being re-introduced, the fa├žade and portico with its Grecian columns, imitates almost exactly Rookesbury Park House at Wickham. Deverell's Mansion is, today, Purbrook Park School.

55. Purbrook takes its name from the stream which runs under the main road at this bridge, just south of the village centre. The origin of the name is probably Anglo Saxon and is generally accepted to mean, 'Broek of the Water Sprite'. The stream, which goes on to swell the waters of the minor River Wallington, is today culverted under the present road and passes very near to the major roundabout, which has been created at the new junction with Ladybridge Road.

st. John the Baptlsfs, Purbrook.

,

56. Purbrook's Church of St. John the Baptist is clear1y seen in this postcard view of 1910. It would not be possible to record the same scene today for, from this angle, the building is now partially obscured by mature trees and the Iych gate, which was erected as a memorial to those local folk who gave their lives in the First World War. Commenced in 1843, the church was not consecrated until 1858 due, in part, to the continued ill feeling between the Reverend E.T. Richards of Farlington and John Deverell of Purbrook.

57. The original 'Woodman' public house, seen here in Purbrook village in 1912, was originally a lodge house of the Purbrook Manor Estate. Sited almost next door to the old vicarage and opposite St. John's Church, it was an attractive feature of the village until its demolition. lts successor now stands 100 yards further south,

58. Travelling south through Purbrook village and approaching the old post office building is car number one of the P. & H.L.R. The tramcar carries no advertising on its front upper facia so is probably still fairly new which will date this photograph to about 1905. Happily, the buildings to the left of Post Office Road are still part of the local scene, although those on the right have been replaced by others which are far less irnposing.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek