The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter N. Rogers
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3182-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

59. Children and staff of the Purbrook Church of England School, photographed at about the turn of the century. Probably their first appearance before a camera, best clothes were obviously called for, as is apparent from the boy's smart suits and the gitl's pinafores and !ace.

60. Purbrook was fortunate in having John Deverell as the local squire and lord of the manor. This philanthropie gentleman endowed several institutions in the district, including, in 1868, the Purbrook Industrial School for Boys which remained under the Deverell control until 1912 when the entire establishment, together with 17 acres of land, was given as a gift to the Hampshire County Council by William Deverell, the son of the founder. The first Industrial Schools were permitted by statute in 1857 'for the better training of vagrant children' and gave power to the justices to commit children to Industrial Schools which were to be certlfied by the Secrotary of State.

61. At Purbrook Industrial School, boys wore uniform, had their own band and were taught the rudiments of military drill and exercise. An inspector's report for 1900 notes that 37 'Old Boys' were known to have taken part in engagements in the South African War. The school was in no way a military institution however, for among the skills which were taught there were tailoring, breadmaking, shoemaking, blacksmithing, animal husbandry and farming.

62. This photograph of the school dormitory presents a stark picture of the most basic accommodation with apparently no ether furniture than beds. One wonders if perhaps an adjoining locker room held any possessions which the boys rnay have had?

63. The meals provided at the school were of the most uninteresting fare lacking variety and imagination. The same meals, repeated several times in any one week, never included pudding or cake of any kind, whilst jam did not appear on the menu until well into the twentieth century. Portraits of Their Majesties grace the. walls of the dining room together with a picture showing the might of Britain's Navy,

64. This delightful little building, now lost to Purbrook, was the chapel and school room of the Industrial School. The boys who were admitted to the institution, from the age of six years, attended regular classes which started at 7.00 a.m. Normally rising at 6.30 a.m., a concession was permitted on Sundays when the time was extended to 7.00 a.m.

65. Staff of the Industrial School are pictured here with (seated centre) Mr. A. Fielder, a local farmer and nurseryman, who, in 1900, was the school superintendent. In 1912, the first year in which the school was managed by the County Authority, there were employed two members of teaching staff, six members of industrial training staff, a matron and a bandmaster-cum-gymnasium instructor. This made ten people in all who were paid a combined salary of !670. per annum.

66. The final photograph in this series of Purbrook Industrial School shows part of the main block which comprised the boy's hostel and staff housing. Built around a quadrang1e, it provided a paved area within, which could be used for assembly or drill purposes. Other buildings nearby were for schooling, craft instruction and farm stock, whilst, within a short distance, were the houses provided for the remaining staff and their families. The establishment was closed when the school was evacuated to North Wales shortly after the start of the Second World War, and was demolished in later years as part of Purbrook's development.

67. Members of the Purbrook Primitive Methodist Church are seen here whi1st on a visit to the Isle of Wight in 1902. The first meeting of the Methodists in Purbrook took place on the local common in 1877 and it was John Deverell who backed their cause by allowing them to use his premises in Stakes Road (now April Cottage) and a large marquee which he made available. In the following year, 1878, a permanent chapel was built in the London Road and this remained their home until the present church was opened in Stakes Road in 1932.

68. A postcard dated 1917 looks north toward the cross roads in Waterlooville and illustrates how development has greatly affected the appearance of this section of the London Road. In 1985, the shop with the sunblinds, together with its neighbouring house, are all that rernain of the left hand terrace, the Queen's Temperanee Hotel and the Baptist Church having been demolished. On the opposite side of the road the only buildings still retaining an original profile are those in the tall block adjacent to the passing tramcar, the others having been removed or altered to form a terra ce of modern shops, restaurants andoffices,

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek