The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter N. Rogers
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3182-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

-~-

69. A gentle way of life is pictured here in 1910 and it seems almost a tragedy that this, the centre of Waterlooville, has been re-developed to such a degree that very little is recognisable in 1985. The old 'Heroes of Waterloo' public house has gone and in its place stands the modern premises of the National Westminster Bank. On the opposite corner of Hambledon Road and behind the wheels of the brake, the grocer's shop, together with its neighbour the Baptist Church, have been replaced by 'Clock House', a large block of shops and offices. The terrace in the left foreground together with much more, which disappointedly is not shown here, is almost entirely taken up by the chain stores of Tesco, Woolworths, Boots, etc. and the road is now a pedestrian precinct.

70. The Church of St. George lies a few yards inside the Hambledon Road from the oid village crossroads and was built in 1831 on land which had been given by Mr. T. Thistlewayte of Southwick. Prior to this date, devoted parishioners had to trudge through the lanes and over the hill to St. Andrews at Farlington. In 1834 the parish register noted that the name of the village is Waterlooville but from at least 1847 the 'vilie' has been dropped and does not appear again until1870.

71. Sundays in Waterlooville, given fine weather, meant that the boys of the Purbrook Industrial School would march with their band to and from Christchurch at Portsdown. Passing through the centre of the town to the curiosity of the onlookers, they were for many years a feature of the local sabbath forming the choir in the church in addition to entertaining with the band which was led by Mr. Kent. The shop with the sunblinds open is on the corner of Stakes Hili Road and London Road and today is the premises of Lloyds Bank.

72. Beyond these houses lie the open spaces of the countryside, for in 1912 Waterlooville came to an end here and the tra veiler would then pass only the occasional dwelling before reaching the hamlet of Stakes, so named after the De-Stakes family who were the local lords in the thirteenth century. Before that time, the district was known as Frendstaple, and it is pleasing to note that this ancient name has been re-introduced in the new housing estate recently built.

ยท Stakes niu.

73. Stakes Hill Post Office, which stood almest opposite the 'Fox and Hounds' public house, was probably an original farm building which had been added to over several generatioris. The stucco wall covering could perhaps be concealing a basic timber framing. which would have fairly positively dated the property. Whatever its age, the building has, alas, been demolished, although in this, a more enlightened era, it would certainly have been the subject of a conservation order thus ensuring its continued existence.

74. 'Oaklands', at Stakes, was the home, until bis death in 1853, of Genera1 Sir Charles Napier hero of the Peninsular and India Wars. Sir Charles was a descendant of John Napier, Laird of Merchiston Cast1e near Edinburgh, and a cousin to Admiral Sir Charles Napier. whose country seat was at Merchistoun Hall, Horndean. 'Oaklands', now greatly enlarged with additional buildings, is today a well-known Roman-Catholic School and possesses a particularly fine concert hall which has become a mecca for devotees of serious music,

75. This location is now Cowplain's busy shopping centre. The houses remain but have been converted into business premises. A modern supermarket and bank take the place of the old tram shed which dominated this terrace for probably sixty years, The postcard, dated 1909, shows Park Lane, once known as Bedhampton Lane, which before the construction of the A3M motorway could take the adventurous travelIer on a cross country route to Havant and Leigh Park, emerging by design or coincidence near to Park Lane, Bedhampton.

76. By the year 1920, the previous scene has altered a little to include Cowplain post office. The pony and trap shown waiting here could barely cope with today's heavy traffic on this, the busy A3, with its associated yellow road markings and pedestrian crossings.

/

/

./

/ /

/.

.' - .

77. A growing estate, with its increasing population, encouraged the owner to further expand, and here is seen a much enlarged post office in London Road, Cowplain. Note the many advertising signs on the forecourt and shop front. Enamelled signs are today sought after by collectors of nostalgia and because oftheir often brilliant colours and glazed surfaces are known as 'Street Jewellery'.

78. Prior to the re-alignment of the parish and statutory boundaries, Cowplain was in the district of Catherington. In those early years, the nearest places of worship were the churches at Catherington, Blendworth and Waterlooville. It was no surprise, then, when the free and non-conformist religions established themselves in the rural areas, the Cowplain Mission Hall being an example of their willingness to integrate. The growth of the district and with it the need for large community places of worship made this mission hall obsolete, and surprisingly, in 1985, the premises are in use as a boutique and hairdressing salon.

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek