The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter N. Rogers
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3182-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'The Borough of Havant in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  >  |  >>

79. The Mission Hall on the previous page is shown again in an earlier posteard, dated 1912. The building ean now be seen in the rural setting of the early part of the century with a car of the P. & H.L.R. on a 'passing loop' section of the line.

·

80. Silvesters Garage on the London Road at Cowplain was an oasis to passing motorists in the early 1930's. The road, built surprisingly wide for the period, carried all of the London to Portsmouth traffic, while the local tramway had its track running on the grass verge on the eastern side of the carriageway for the entire route from Waterlooville to Horndean. The garage premises are now the site of a massive, modern petrol filling station which, with its up to date computerised dispensing equipment, is a far cry from the hand wound petrol pumps which were then a feature of the original garage.

81. This postcard shows the original 'Spotted Cow' public house at Cowplain before its demolition in the 1930's. The name of the village is reputed to have been derived from the local inn, coupled with the fact that in country parlanee the extensive tract of land hereabouts is indeed a 'plain',

82. This very attractive little house was part of the South Leigh Estate owned by Sir Dyrnoke White. It still stands today on the Emsworth to Rowlands Castle raad and serves as offices for its present owners, the Plessey Company. The White family are best remembered as the 'Whites' of Timothy White and Taylors who started their nationwide chain of retail hardware and chemist stores in nearby Portsmouth in 1848, from whence the company grew to own an empire of more than 600 stores.

83. On 22nd June 1911 Emsworth, in keeping with the rest of Great Britain, celebrated the coronation of King George V. The day turned out to be disappointingly wet and the outdoor events were either marred by the weather or cancelled. North Street was decorated for the occasion and the flags and bunting made a brave attempt to colour a drab scene. Anticipating a busy day, the 'Milkmans Arms' public house is having a delivery fr om a steam driven brewers dray, The two shops in the picture still exist today and trade as a wool shop and a coffee shop.

84. An alternative view of North Street, this time looking south. The shop seen on the corner of Palmers Road is still tra ding today, 75 years after this postcard was produced. Sadly, however, the entire terrace of interesting old buildings which are its neighbours has been replaced with modern premises. In contrast, the elegant parade of shops opposite has been allowed to remain and still contributes to the busy atmosphere of Emsworth's North Street.

~ :1 !~

l11lf 11111 IfI1f ~ 11'

85. This view of Emsworth High Street in 1913, is a charming character study of the period, indicating a more relaxed way of life than that of today, Gas lamps, horse-drawn vehicles and then, as now, the Iadies finding time to stop and gossip. In 1985 the Crown Hotel, an original coaching inn, is still the dominant building in the left hand terrace, though it now lacks the impressive portico which was its principal feature.

86. A variation on the previous picture is this view taken from the edge of the square and looking north along the High Street, where the Crown Hotel with its columned porch can be seen. In 1985 the facing terra ce remains mostly unaltered with the exception of the 'Ship Inn' which has been given a modern façade. Many postcard views of the Emsworth town centre were produced and, almost always, the photographer has attracted a small crowd. One wonders whether these early photographs were contrived to include the locals, or perhaps the presence of a camera had a magnetic influence?

87. This view shows Emsworth's 'Pavilion' Cinema whose current programme includes Harold Lloyd in 'Movie Crazy'. The cinema building started life in 1789 as St. Peters Chapel of Ease; previous to this, worshippers had to attend the Church of St. Thomas á Becket at Warblington. St. Peters later became the Town Hall, and in the cinema boom, 'The Pavilion'. Today it is the store and offices of alocal builders rnerchant, The church seen behind the bus was built as the Primitive Methodist Church in 1877 and now serves as the Emsworth Pastoral Centre.

88. The gentleman seated centre was 'Birkey' Miller, a wellknown local character, who together with his tarne duck and heron were to be seen daily in and around the town in Emsworth. Ducks are often domesticated in this way but how 'Birkey' managed to tarne his heron is a mystery, the answer to which we shall probably never know. Looking closely at the bird, it seems to be offering its master a twig for nest building! The buildings in this picture appear not to have altered over fifty years. The 'Black Dog' public house, however, has suffered a name change and is now 'The Smugglers',

<<  |  <  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek