Thirsk in old picture postcards

Thirsk in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter Wyon
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2315-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Thirsk in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. This scene of Thirsk:, photographed about noon on a Monday, shows the busy Market Place where farm products have been sold for centuries. A railway was completed from Thirsk to Loods in 1850 to transport the fresh farm goods to the rapidly growing town. The earliest records of Thirsk: Market date from 1145, since when Market Day has always been on Mondays, The Lord of the Manor was empowered to colleet tolls for the stalls. The illuminated Clock Tower was erected in 1896. The decision to build it had been taken in 1893 to honour the marriage of the Duke of Y ork (later to be George V) to Princess Mary of Teek. The Clock Tower was built on the site of the old Market Cross, whieh was removed to the grounds of Thirsk Hall, where it can still be seen. The tall pinnacle on the Clock Tower is said to have been struck by lightening about nine years after building and certainly photographs taken after 1905 show a smaller pinnacle.

10. On Thirsk Military Sunday in 1912 a group of Red Cross members and sorne Girl Guides were on parade. The Guide movement was only formed two years previously by Lady Baden Powell. Before that time they had been known as Girl Scouts, very much part of the Boy Scout movement. The lowroofed Crown Hotel in the background was the earliest coaching lnn in Thirsk, but the business soon developed at The Three Tuns, which became the main stopping place for the stage coaches between London and Edinburgh. The poet, William Wordsworth, and his sister, Dorothy, breakfasted there in July 1802 on their way to his wedding. In 1815 the coaching business was transferred to the Fleece Hotel, and in 1965 the Crown Hotel was demolished to make way for the Fine Fare supermarket. Bartholomew Smith's shop in the centre was known as 'the oldest draper in Great Britain'. The owner, Mr. Rod Hall, sold the building in 1971 to Foster's Mens wear and Hagenbachs.

11. On Military Sunday in 1913 the ladies of the Red Cross and Girl Guides were parading near the entrance to Millgate. As usual a great many of the townspeople turned out to see the spectacle, which wasdescribed by Eric Thompson in his 'Book of Thirsk' as 'the Church Parades of the Yeomanry', It is evident that the Remembrance Day parades on November 11th, after the end of the 1914-1918 War, have taken the place of these summer-time Military Sundays. The Yorkshire Banking Company, at 77 Market Place, seen behind the paraders, was taken over by the Midland Bank in 1901, but the name on the facade was not changed until 1927. In 1918 the Midland Bank acquired the York City and County Bank, situated in Old Bank Chambers at 44 Market Place. This branch was not closed until1927 when the business was transferred to 77 Market Place.

12. It is now 10.30 a.m. on Military Sunday, 1913 and the parade is moving offtowards the Church. The Red Cross ladies have evidently passed this point already and we see the Men's detachment followed by the Boy Scouts, and then the Boys' Brigade. The varied architecture of Thirsk is weU illustrated by this row of shops on the east side of the Market Place. The view down Finkle Street is blocked by the sharp bend in the road. Ayre's shop was both a grocer and a chernist at that time and was later taken over by Timothy White's chemist, The Three Tuns hotel is the tall building on the right with aporeh and was the principle Inn when the poet William Wordsworth and his Bride, and sister Dorothy, called there on their way through Thirsk, after dark, on October 4th, 1802. They sawa huge bonflre burning in the Market Place, with lads dancing round itand on enquiry at the Inn they were told that it was to celebrate the birthday of Squire John Bell,

13. This picture was taken on Military Sunday in 1914, only a few weeks before the declaration of war on August 4th, and we see soldiers in uniform in two separate formations. Also a group of men drawn up on parade in civilian clothes. They appear to be older men and were probably Reservists, The imposing figure in a top hat appears to be Lord Helmsley, who had been elected a Member of Parliament in 1910. The shop fronts on the left are typical of their time and some at least have been modernised. Thirsk takes a pride in the fact that no building has been pulled down or replaced in the Market area since the formation of the Civic Society in 1967. This Society holds a watching brief on planning to proteet the beauty and character of the old Market Town.

14. This is a photograph showing the General Election in 1910 where Lord Helmsley is seen addressing a crowd in the Market Place at Thirsk. He is wearing a heavy overcoat, as are many of the bystanders, which is not surprising as the election speech took place in January. There were two General elections in 1910, so the result was evidently very close, but the Liberals, under Lord Asquith, won them both. The collection of carts on the cobbles suggests it was Market Day, Most of the women would be in the shops, as they were not allowed to vote in elections until1928 so took little interest in politica! speeches. The crowd for a similar occasion today might even have more women than men.

15. Castlegate is packed with an eager crowd of men, women and children, awaiting the declaration of the Election Results in 1910. The officials and the policemen can be seen on the right of the picture, in front of the Methodist Chapel. This building was later converted into a furniture showroom for Holmes, the Drapers next door to it. The view point of MI. Clarke, the we11known photographer, was from the Mechanics Institute, which became the Ritz Cinema in 1912. At the far end of the street one can see Amos Dixon's Boot Repair Service. MI. Dixon's son, Bertie, conducted bis chiropody business in this wooden hut until a few years ago. The low buildings on the right of Dixon's hut were later pulled down to make way for the large Regent Cinema, now a Bingo Hall. This fairly narrow street turns a right angle to emerge suddenly into the huge space of the Market. This unexpected prospect is typical of all the entries into the town.

16. The locally famous Historical Play was performed on June 25th and 26th in 1907, in the grounds of Thirsk Hall. It was written by Canon F.L. Perkins, the Vicar of Thirsk, and depicted a tale of the town in bygone days, A.J. Todd, the organist, composed the musie and the profits were to increase the insurance of Thirsk Church. Well over two hundred performers took part. A large number of post cards were produced for sale and widely used for communication, as we now use the telephone. The stamp was only one halfpenny and the cards were delivered locally the same day. This photograph is of a general scene on the lawns of Thirsk Hall gardens, When the play was revived in 1933 to raise money for the irnprovement of the Church School, there were ninety patrons, including His Grace the Lord Archbishop of Y ork, and the Lord Lieutenant of the North Riding, also many Earls, Viscounts and titled ladies.

17. Two of the main characters in the Historica1 Play of 1907 are seen in this picture. They are Baron Roger de Mowbray with his Lady Gundrea. In the fourth scene the Baron and his warriors were preparing for the Battle of the Standard, which was fought a few miles north of Northallerton in 1138 A.D. In this battle the mvading Scottish army was defeated, ten thousand men were slain and King David only reached Carlisle with the greatest difficulty. About this time Lady Gundrea gave shelter to twelve fugitive monks from Calder. They had been turned out by the invading Scots, who had laid waste the district. All that the monks had with them were some books and their clothes in an ox wagon. The Lady took pity on them and housed them at Hood near Sutton Bank. Later they moved to Old Byland and thence to near Wass, where they founded Byland Abbey.

18. The Maypole Dance was at the end of the Thirsk Historical Play in 1907. It was performed by a group of girls and boys dressed in white. Maypole dancing was common in the villages for centuries, and many beautiful patterns were formed with the coloured tapes, but by 1907 the custom was dying out, except as an entertainment at celebrations. It must have been a special treat for the assembied company to see a revival of the old custom. Many of the ladies have risen to their feet to get a better view, thus displaying the ankle length skirts that were the fashion of the day, worn with very elegant, wide-brirnmed hats.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek